Pirate re-enactment demo

michaelsbagley

We have set up a charcoal grill on the ship after hours but I don't have one. We could also set one up in the park beside the gangplank as long as someone kept watch.

The fogon (the Spanish name for the firebox) is big enough for a couple of pots. We have had wood fires in it but we will probably cheat and use charcoal.

There are places that we can keep coolers.

Mark

There is a ship stove (elevated fire box) on the ship. And we also have access to the fridge in the ticket booth for the ship, but the fridge is usually fairly full of soda (that the ship sells) so fridge space is limited. Kate said something about a charcoal grill in the park, but honestly I can't recall ever seeing one there...

So to answer the question more directly, no there is not modern galley facilities, but primitive cooking facilities are available.

The ship stove/firebox should be able to accommodate two dutch ovens. Jennie (Mark's wife) is the master (mistress) of all things cast iron, her camp cookware collection is HUGE, so no one needs to bring any cookware, just bring your eating bowls/plates/utensils....

I think that should cover cooking... Oh, I will be bringing oatmeal for breakfast Sunday morning, there will likely be other stuff for breakfast too (in case M.A. d'Dogge is able to show up), but oatmeal will likely form the core of Sunday breakfast.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that should cover cooking... Oh, I will be bringing oatmeal for breakfast Sunday morning, there will likely be other stuff for breakfast too (in case M.A. d'Dogge is able to show up), but oatmeal will likely form the core of Sunday breakfast.

:blink: ....i hate oats.....unless its in oatmeal stout.....

oat for breakfast, and at dinner tyme too,

if i have more at supper, i dont know wot i'll do!!

i wish i were a fisherman,

out in my boats,

for every fish i caught,

i'd feed em all the oats!

one day i set out,

to buy a herd of goats,

cause i'd heard they'd eat anythin',

anythin' but the oats!

i wish i were a birdie,

flyin in the sky,

for i'd rather eat a worm,

than anuther oat i try!

but alas, i'm just a poor farmer,

and most eat what i sew,

but i just dont have to like it

just so's ya know!

oats for breakfast, and at dinner tyme too,

if i have more at supper, i dont know what i'll do!!

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

I can bring my little cast-iron Hibachi, I use it often, (off-the-ship of course), just to help cook something. In the event I can make it, I will also bring some natural lump charcoal. Being in the Lake/tourist community here, we get lots of it when it gets close to season. Don't know about ya'll, but that pre-formed stuff gives meat a whang that I don't really care for. I don't want to get too excited yet, but things are lookin good so far. Looks to be about 16 hours from here, the same distance I used to drive to Blue Licks in Kentucky. I am a brutal sadist when it comes to traveling, just ask my family! I only stop when the tank is near empty or the bladder is full!

Bo

Okay, the ballots are in... And the date is SET!

This will go down on the weekend of May 9th and 10th!

Mojito, we'd love to have you and any of the other Sacred Hearts that would be willing to come up! I think I have sent invites to Fayma the last time or two we did the Santa Maria to-dos (or at least I hope I did), but if you and the others would be willing to join us that would be awesome!!!

Perkeo, really hope you can make it back. It would be good to see Efera and Grizz as well!

If half of those interested show, this event is likely to double in size from the last time... and if most or all of those interested show, this is likely to grow to be a pretty huge event. :rolleyes:

Oh my goodness. My birthday is May 12th. This might be a nice way to spend it. heh. Need to check my on-call schedule.....

So we are doing the pirate re-enactment on the May 9th-10th weekend on the Santa Maria, and we are ALSO booked for the Saturday Sept. 19th for "Talk Like a Pirate Day" (one day only for TLAPD, and no sleepover on the ship either for TLAPD.... :rolleyes: ). So mark your calenders, come out for one, or come out for both, we'll be happy to see you any way about it!

Now, if you want Becky to attend this event, she needs a dress. If it gets warm enough by then, I'll apply all the skin to her, but without a dress, she's nekkid. (And since it won't be seen, I'm not doing her midsection, so she'll look exceptionally weird.)

Also, if you don't mind, might you sew appropriate padding into the chest? It will be easier for you to do that than for me to sculpt the unseen, er, padding myself. We do want to differentiate her from Bucky, after all. (I think. ) If you do do that please don't make her DD or anything absurd. She's a modest dead woman. :rolleyes::lol:

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Now, if you want Becky to attend this event, she needs a dress. If it gets warm enough by then, I'll apply all the skin to her, but without a dress, she's nekkid. (And since it won't be seen, I'm not doing her midsection, so she'll look exceptionally weird.)

Also, if you don't mind, might you sew appropriate padding into the chest? It will be easier for you to do that than for me to sculpt the unseen, er, padding myself. We do want to differentiate her from Bucky, after all. (I think. ) If you do do that please don't make her DD or anything absurd. She's a modest dead woman. :rolleyes::P

Okay, Becky will have full garb ready for this event, in fact the hardest part is already done. I will need her measurments (I can't find them from when I did Bucky's clothes)..

So just how... uhm.... how padded... Uhm... How big.... uhm... How stacked would you like Becky to be? Was she (in her life) a woman of bountiful virtues? Or was she petite and demure? Somewhere in between?

Michael_banner.jpg

So just how... uhm.... how padded... Uhm... How big.... uhm... How stacked would you like Becky to be? Was she (in her life) a woman of bountiful virtues? Or was she petite and demure? Somewhere in between?

I will get you her measurements. She's actually smaller than Bucky. She does wear a size -20 pant.

My haunted house experience advises caution when padding. If pirate re-enactors behave like Haunted House workers (as they seem to do), they have little or no respect for the anatomy of the dead. I suggest B or less. But then I'm a decided prude who sincerely doesn't find such ribald jokes very funny, so I'll let you be the judge. Remember the skeleton is only 5' tall and thus whatever you do will seem exaggerated.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Ah, the moment everyone's been waiting for: Becky's measurements.

Shoulders: 33"

Waist: 2"

Hips: 28"

Inseam - ~34"

Shoulder to arm: ~24" (from the top of the shoulder down. That's how they measure me for suits.)

Height: ~5'

Mission_banner5.JPG

Ah, the moment everyone's been waiting for: Becky's measurements.

Shoulders: 33"

Waist: 2"

Hips: 28"

Inseam - ~34"

Shoulder to arm: ~24" (from the top of the shoulder down. That's how they measure me for suits.)

Height: ~5'

I almost question the 2" inch waist... and then I remembered... She's a skeleton, her waist essentially equates to the diamter of the spine... :D

And I will likely make Becky's chestline more on the modest side... It just makes sense.

Oh I need one more measurement though... I need the measurement from the armpit (okay where the armpit would be if she had one) to the waist (or top of the hip bone in her case)....

Another thing I almost forgot, I can guess this, but if you could proviide these measurements as well it would makke it easier for me... Base of neck to the knee, and the base of the neck to the ankle. (Neither of these have to be dead on, just close enough)

Michael_banner.jpg

Jessi... it would be a fun way to spend a Bday, wouldn't it?

If all goes well, I'm thinking of doing the same... my Bday lands on May 9. :)

2" waist?!? ;)

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

whoo-hoo for the fellow taureans....may 20th be mine....yeah i know...tis the arse end of the Bull.....kinda 'splains alot don it....

maybe we gotta celebrate the Taurus Nantal Days on the Santa Maria!?!?...but ya gotta show up!!...RED....LADY....hint hint...gotta show up

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

Hehehe... AYE! :ph34r:

Well, tis the hope that I can make it. Would be a fabulous Bday present. And yes, celebrating it with fellow Taureans would be fantastic.

Arse end, says ye? Awww, nay. We just be stubborn an' bull headed. :rolleyes:

~Lady B

Between last night and today, the Scioto Pirate had a bit of a online conversation about some of the details.... For giggles I composed a list of the possible attendees... If I include all of the Scioto pirates, there may be as many as 30 or more re-enactors present for this event. Now I do assume some will drop off because of real life (although I very much hope not!) so I think it will be realistic to say there will likely be at least two dozen re-enactors on the ship for this one... Which is really exciting when you take into consideration the original crew for the Santa Maria numbered at around 40.

We're starting to get into the nitty gritty of discussing the auction (Dead Man's Chest rip off). I'm looking to hopefully get the last detail for this sorted out over the next week and get it started. If anyone has any suggestions or donations they would be willing to contribute, please contact me. We can always add items to the auction as time goes on as well if now is not the best time for you.

Cheers.

Michael_banner.jpg

Well, I checked the on call schedule and I am free (I am on call the week before) and since I am covering holidays as well as putting in extra hours as the on-site clinical staffer for a charity event - I should also be able to get Friday free as well! I'll be checking into the cost of plane tickets within the next week and see what I can't make happen. But I would say that at the moment, it's looking pretty good that I will be coming in for this!

So - May-Babies, UNITE! We'll TAKE OVER THE DAMN SHIP!

Or...you know....at least commandeer a corner or something.

Edited by RedJessi

Oh I need one more measurement though... I need the measurement from the armpit (okay where the armpit would be if she had one) to the waist (or top of the hip bone in her case)....
11 - 12"
Another thing I almost forgot, I can guess this, but if you could proviide these measurements as well it would makke it easier for me... Base of neck to the knee
36" - 37"
and the base of the neck to the ankle.
Uh...I forgot to get this one. I would say it's roughly 48"

Mission_banner5.JPG

as of right now, me, andrew, miles, and alex ( the 16y.o. that couldn't make it to PiP due to school ) will be attending...nothing i can forsee should cause anything else..

i think the prospect of staying aboard ship swayed them all :)

You're not bringing Grace? (I have some stuff I'll be sending her from Mexico. There's also a few things for her to share with Zach and Ryan.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I was thinking this morning....some folks (Jessi, Rats) might be flying in. We do both have to work on Friday (saving up my vacation days for PiP, ya know), so if you let me know when you are coming in (if you're flying) we can make some arrangements to pick folks up at the airport. I work within a 10 minute drive of the airport and I get off at 5 (though I may be able to arrange going in early to leave early) to retrieve people from the airport. Just PM or email me so we can work stuff out!

Banner.jpg

If the PiP 2009 dead-mans chest is covered, I think I will put this one up for the Santa Maria event:

Chest2001.jpg

Chest2002.jpg

I put this up on the PiP thread too. Pretty sure that this is going to happen though. I can always come up with something else by PiP anyhow. What do ya'll think of this so far?

Bo

Very nice chest there, Bo.

I'd ride with ye, Bo. But the matter is... at least a 6 hour or more difference. So, not really possible. HOWEVER, if God be willing by that time things shape up for me, I'll caravan (follow or ye follow me) to Columbus. :( Either one of us can swing by and pick up Perkeo. I'm sure he'll fancy going again.

Oy, curious to know if we can bring a wooden cot to use aboard the ship at night. Yes, I can collapse it and fold it up. Just not sure if there will be room or if it's allowed. Figured I'd ask first.

As to cooking... I'll be glad t' let someone else cook. I'll bring m' silverware, plate or porringer, and some sort of drinkware. :lol:

~Lady B

Bo, you are awesome! That chest rocks!

Lady B, I'm not going to say there would be no room for the cot, but how big is it?

Keep in mind while the Santa Maria is a fair sized ship, there are almost no level decks (all having some sort of gentle grade or slant), and there are all sorts of obstructions. Another thing to keep in mind is the fact that at my last count, we were getting pretty close to 30 people coming out for this event (most from this forum, but a handful or two from other haunts of mine and other Scioto Pirate members) and the original crew of the historic ship was around 40.... If everyone shows, we will be at 3/4s of the actual period conditions of the original ship's crew. I'm guessing at even 3/4s of actual period conditions things may get pretty cozy.

Do try and get in touch with Perkeo if you will, but last time he came out with two friends from the Indianapolis area, and he said they were likely coming again (and I hope they do a Grizz an Afera are awesome). I hope I am not saying too much, but I think he mentioned hoping to get another one (or few?) friend(s) local to him out as well. But I have yet to hear anything solid there.

On another note, after some conversation with relevant parties over the last week or two, we are close to being ready to start the auction. I think Mark just needed some info or back end work from the director of the ship to have the auction go the way we thought up, or if that doesn't get done in the near future there is another idea that we can run with instead. So look forward to some more details (hopefully the final details) of the auction coming in the next week or two.

Michael_banner.jpg

If everyone shows, we will be at 3/4s of the actual period conditions of the original ship's crew. I'm guessing at even 3/4s of actual period conditions things may get pretty cozy.

Well you know I'm not sleeping shipboard. (I may just get up early and drive down and back on the same day...I haven't decided yet.) Others may not be be sleeping shipboard either. Last time it seems to me that at least 1/4 of the people who were at the event didn't sleep on the ship. Plus I've yet to see an event where everyone who says they're going to attend actually does. Situations change, work sechedules get in the way and so forth. So you're probably pretty safe. (Still, I understand that it never hurts to put the info out there. :unsure: )

Mission_banner5.JPG