gunports and oarports

Lady Seahawke

ok, I saw a question about gun ports and was curious and started to do a bit of research. I found a video on You Tube of a woodworker doing a replica of a model of the HMS Snake circa 1747.

He stated that he was working on the gunports and OARPORTS for the replica. He stated that even up to that date the Admiralty thought it best to have auxilary power.

To me this would be a bit of common sense in case of becalmed waters. IN POTC original movie it showed the Black Pearl with oars.

However, in the movie Master and Commander it showed the ship laying helpless until the wind picked up...

So my question is when did the use of oars STOP being common on ships?

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

for some, they have not. I have a pair of 14 ft sweeps that i use for my 40 ft sloop on a regular basis. She moves along rather well.

of the period- smaller ships had ports built in, while larger had long boats they would put over to pull them around. This was common until practical engines were introduced. I recall Mark twain referencing poling oar in "Life on the Mississippi" for the paddlewheelers when they ran afowl.