Antiquing silver?

roytheodd

I have a sterling silver poison ring and I'm having its adjustable band replaced with a permanent, fixed size band. The jeweler warned me that the antiquing on the face of the ring would likely become mottled or go away all together. Plus, the band will be like new as opposed to antiqued. So I'm inquiring if anyone here knows how to antique sterling silver. Is it as simple as applying a store-bought product or is there more to it? Is there anyone here who can educate me?

I know Ammonia fumes (NOT Liquid! Do NOT let it Touch!!) 'n White Vinegar work wonders on Brass....don't know about silver though.

I ha'e some links at home t' places what sell 'antiquing' formulas that I think co'er just 'bout all metals what can be 'artificially' antiqued', but some can be expensive and complicated, some required "restricted chemicals" to activate.

I'll check Google, they what learn'd me 'bout Ammonia 'n White Vinegar. :ph34r:

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

Well now, that didn't take long 'n here be not one but Two possible ways:

Dark gray for silver:

2 teaspoons cooper sulphate

1 teaspoon kitchen salt

1,5 dl of water(1 cup)

Cold immersion!Only for grease and oxide free objects!Good luck!You can also work with Liver Of Sulphur but it is malodorous and is very corrosive(2% water solution)!

*note: Mad L look'd up this 'Liver o' Sulphur' 'n it says it also antiques Copper as well.

------------

wiki wiki Howto says t' use HARD BOILED EGGS!

{quote}

While new or freshly polished silver is quite beautiful, sometimes you want a new piece to look older. Perhaps to fit a new replacement piece into an old tea set, or maybe you just like the look of antique silver jewelry. Whatever the reason, you can put the look of years on any piece of silver.

1. Clean the silver to be antiqued. A good choice is to use cool water and a mild detergent, such as dish liquid or liquid hand soap. The purpose of this step is to remove any oils on the silver which might mask it against the effects of the antiquing process. You should handle the cleaned silver with latex gloves for the rest of the process.

2. Hard boil an egg. Just as if you were going to eat it. You usually only need one so I like to boil it in a small saucepan, this allows you to bring the water to a boil much faster.

3. Remove the egg yolk and crumble it into a Zip-Loc bag. Warning: Make sure egg has cooled. Freshly boiled egg can burn you!

4. Place silver pieces to be antiqued into the Zip-Loc bag. Make sure the silver is fairly evenly coated with yolk.

5. Allow silver to set over night. (Approx. 6 to 8 hrs.) Warning: Do NOT forget about your antiquing silver. If silver is left too long it may over-tarnish and become pitted!

6. Remove silver from egg yolks and clean thoroughly. Silver should now be completely black.

7. Polish the high-points of the designs on your silver. For this you can use your favorite direct-application silver polish, and a Q-Tip or small paint brush or the corner of a clean, soft rag for larger pieces.

8. Rinse off polish. If the piece looks the way you want it, you're done! If not, you can repeat the previous step until you achieve the desired effect.

**go here fer TIPS 'n WARNINGS 'bout this method:

My Webpage

*pssst: 'er ye can use me secret weapon, garuntee t' age ANYTHING o'ernight it is - send it t' meet me ex-old lady....ya, it be crewel, but hey, ye gota do what ye gotta do...

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

• 1 month later...