Pyrate Sketchbooks

Pew

I recommend photographing the work you do in each book, including your own.

And the cool part of that is that you can post (with a spoiler notice) wot you drew in someones sketchbook....

Hey.... I'm a show off.... I liked the comics that I drew in other Pyrates sketchbooks..... But...... welllllll...... I also wanted other Pyrates to see wot I drew.... so I posted the comics in the Pub..... someone gets the original comic, but I get to show off copy's.......

Another thing to consider.... don't just commit to adding to the sketchbooks, but you also have to post in this thread when they are received and when they are sent out, or else PEW is going to go crazy trying to figure out who has wot, where they are, and any problems that (hopefully don't happen).

If you're going to send the sketchbook out late, for whatever reason.... your out of town, or because your short of cash right then, and it's embarrassing to post that..... heck, we can understand that (as if that never happened to me in the last round.....) Hey, let us know, so no one has to worry if a sketchbook is lost or something.......

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really looking forward to get started... then when I started thinking about it, I won't see my own book again for almost a year. :D Ah, the anticipation! At least we get to add to and enjoy others' books in the meantime.

I had a lot of fun making my book. I made the cover out of stiff leather & tooled our 3-bone skull and crossbones design into the front. The pages are made out of a heavy linen resume paper. I tried out a sharpie on the pages, it shows through onto the back but didn't bleed onto the next page.

Thank you to the folks who have been through this a time or two for your tips and hints :D

I made the cover out of stiff leather & tooled our 3-bone skull and crossbones design into the front. The pages are made out of a heavy linen resume paper. I tried out a sharpie on the pages, it shows through onto the back but didn't bleed onto the next page.

Excellent!!

Can't wait to see it.

pirate.gif

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

.....I had a lot of fun making my book. I made the cover out of stiff leather & tooled our 3-bone skull and crossbones design into the front. The pages are made out of a heavy linen resume paper. I tried out a sharpie on the pages, it shows through onto the back but didn't bleed onto the next page.

Thank you to the folks who have been through this a time or two for your tips and hints  B)

I'm sure any of us who have done this before would be more than happy to answer any questions the rest of you have. Just post them here. It really is a fun project, and yes, the anticipation level really goes up the longer your book is gone. Last round it was seven months before I got my book back.

And I wholeheartedly agree with Patrick. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, KEEP IN CONTACT BY POSTING ON THE THREAD. Everyone is always excited at the beginning, but momentum tends to slow down the further into the round we get. Posting helps keep the interest level up, and will really help Pew keep track of where each book is. It's one of the most important aspects of this game, besides actually mailing the books on time.

I also think it would be a great idea to post pictures of your work in some of the books as we go along. I think this will keep people excited for the whole year this round will take. Besides, like Patrick, everyone likes to show off what they can do! B)

Oh, now I think of it. Each of us should post a picture of the cover of our book. Last round we ended up with a Mystery Book, which no one knew whose it was. It ended up being awarded to Pew, since his original book was lost for a long time. The pictures would be a great reference to fall back on.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

K now...

Kate's back in so just a quick refresh:

Lady Seahawke: Columbus, Oh

V

Kate_Souris: Canal Winchester, Oh

V

pyrateleather: Shawnee, Ks

Lady Seahawke will now be sending to Kate, and Kate to pyrateleather....

B)

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Just happened upon this Ship Chandler's Box in the Pirate's Magazine webstore and thought I would share... This would definitely be fun to use on the sketchbook project.

I just want THAT box, I don't need the stuff in it, JUST THE BOX. If anyone has seen this box, with the same set of dividers, please, please, please let me know.

"It is more like I am transitioning from a pirate hobby to the pirate lifestyle"- me

pub_footer.jpg

Just happened upon this Ship Chandler's Box in the Pirate's Magazine webstore and thought I would share... This would definitely be fun to use on the sketchbook project.

I just want THAT box, I don't need the stuff in it, JUST THE BOX. If anyone has seen this box, with the same set of dividers, please, please, please let me know.

I happen to own this set....love it....love it.

Shana....if and when Michael finishes my cherry writing desk, I would be happy to turn the box over to you. It does have a kind of plaque on the top of the box that says "The Art of Writing", however. I won't need it anymore because all of my things will be tucked safely in the desk. :)

Banner.jpg

Michael and I are in the throes of making handmade paper for the book. Apparently it's going to be all handmade, as is his nature....Leather binding carved and stained mostly likely....

Currently, he's mixing in kitchen spices with the paper goo before he makes the sheets (suggested in some crazy book he got)....no one is allergic to curry, are they? Makes beautiful colored paper (that I don't want to include), but wow....our whole apartment reeks of curry!

I actually think we are going to intersperce linen (storebought paper) with the handmade paper....it's getting pretty thick as is!

Banner.jpg

It's going to have half handmade paper, half cardstock....so don't feel bad,Jill! It was just taking too long to make the handmade stuff, and the cardstock looks good interspersed.

We're having an argument over how to bind it, however.

Banner.jpg

B) Ummm, you guys might want to bear in mind that this art journal is NOT meant to be period. That was the whole point of doing them, to get away from all the strictly PC stuff and just have fun. Your book could be filled with folded paper bags for pages, if that's what struck your fancy. Seriously, don't sweat this stuff too much. People may be using crayons in your book, so I doubt, with a few exceptions, if the type of paper or binding matters much. B)

You might also keep in mind that it is really helpful if the book, when open, lays flat. Those are much easier to work in.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

:lol:   Ummm, you guys might want to bear in mind that this art journal is NOT meant to be period.

You haven't met Michael & Kate Souris have you? ...If it can be PC ...it will be ...that is half the fun for them. B)

Maybe tat is why half the paper is HALF hand made. B)

leather binding??... home made paper??

looking at m'book... B) will seem so poorly offer.

hope others will understand what i got is what i have this time.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

looking at m'book... :lol: will seem so poorly offer.

Don't sweat, you haven't seen mine.... ;)B)B)

I also whipped up a bound book with hardcovers and paper from my art sketch book...in case I can't part with the one Michael is making for me.

The only problem I see....is that the handmade pages are a little bumpy, as handmade pages are, and some folks might have drawing issues with that. But like I said, there are regular smooth cardstock pages in there too. Oh....and none of the page colors match....at all. It's so fantastically random!

Banner.jpg

looking at m'book... B) will seem so poorly offer.

No worries. All my books have been off the shelf black art sketch books, which I then decorated the covers of. My first one, which turned out rather nice, was covered in strips of crumpled brown paper bag, then aged with paint to look like dirty, worn leather — including my own thumbprints. LOL

Really, anything goes. Anything! B)

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I happen to own this set....love it....love it.

Shana....if and when Michael finishes my cherry writing desk, I would be happy to turn the box over to you. It does have a kind of plaque on the top of the box that says "The Art of Writing", however. I won't need it anymore because all of my things will be tucked safely in the desk. :)

you are so awesome :)

"It is more like I am transitioning from a pirate hobby to the pirate lifestyle"- me

pub_footer.jpg

The only problem I see....is that the handmade pages are a little bumpy, as handmade pages are, and some folks might have drawing issues with that

Not a problem. many of the pages of my old sketchbooks, I used Krylon spray mount and adhere the the drawing right on to the page. you can always peel them off if need be. The scrapbook or sketchbook page itself is not my favorite medium particularly because of the said quote above. FYI don't ever use 3M Super 77, that stuff's permanent! :lol:

I'm actually about to hit the streets of Manhattan real shortly. I saw a street vendor selling hand-hewn leather-bound sketchbooks somewhere in the vicinity of Broadway & Prince Sts. His loot is ideal for this project.

SHIP2-1.jpg

Ok, I don't have a digital camera...yeah still in the stone age on that one.

SO, for those that need a reference inside the front cover of my sketchbook is a

"WANTED" Poster with m'name and said crimes on it.

GEZZSH ;) I haven't used colored pencils in such a long time.

Anyway, I will be ready to send mine out by this weekend at the latest.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...