Pyrate Sketchbooks

Pew

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a few ideas as far as the sketchooks:

I picked up this one at Wal-mart for $10, 9" by 12" and just rewoved the binding:

DSC_0033.jpg

I used that one for the first and second rounds. While this one worked well, a smaller one would have been nice. I picked up another one and cut it in two, when I needed another book:

DSC_0034.jpg

As a Christmas present, my wife gave me this handmade book from overseas. Much smaller with handsewn and tea-dyed pages as well as leather 'wrap' covering:

DSC_0041.jpg

Some of the material from my sketchbooks:

Leather bound:

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

Half book:

DSC_0038.jpg

Fullsize:

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Nic pics, Pew. I really like the small leather book. I was thinking of doing something in a smaller size for this round, just to be a bit different, since I already have two books 6" x 9".

BTW, I see you got a touch of dangly fever with that one. Fun, aren't they? ;);)

Well, I'm off to the craft stores today, to see what goodies I can find for this new round.

Fun, fun, fun. ;)

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I made the sketchbooks that I sent out....

Started with a stack of paper on top of cardstock, and a strip of cloth, and sewed through the pile.... I then glued a leather cover to the cardstock. (the strip of cloth helps keep the stitching from pulling through, it's hidden by the leather cover....).

Sketchbook.jpg

Well, I found all sorts of goodies at the craft store, and have been thinking over drawing ideas as well, so I am ready for round three to commence!

And Silkie, I'm sorry you couldn't jump in this round, but I think you made a wise decision. Having done this before, you know how frustrating it can be when people, for whatever reason, drop out in the middle of things.

I'm proud of you, girl. :ph34r:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

got the sketchbook about to cover it to give it a more period look and will begin the drawings and inking this weekend ....got some appointments the rest of the week that will keep me pretty well occupied Dr's for m'self and salty ....also going to look at a new house ...wish us luck bigger place for the same money.... 5 bedrooms with studio space and a 5 stall garage/workspace ...no more rental storage locker!!!

Just to reiterate to all:

=>Please, please, please, only sign up if you will see the project to the end. Your commitment is what is necessary for the project to be successful.<=

Think of this as your last 'out'. If you have prior commitments or if work is at it's 'busy time', we understand.

I'd like to finalize the list by Sunday, so if you find that you would like to be removed from the list this go-round, no worries. pirate.gif Otherwise, you pirate.gif locked in to 11 months of Pyracy Pub Sketchbook shenanigans.

When the final list is posted, please PM the person to whom you will be sending your sketchbook so that you can receive their snail mail addy.

Hopefully, by now you have created the book you will be sending around for this...round. You have approximately three weeks or so before the first mailing. SO GET DRAWING!!!

pirate.gif

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

getting my sketchbook tomorrow and will be doing the first few pages. :ph34r:

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

Well I have a book.

However, I started to buy one with handmade paper, rather cool looking with a fabric covering with a bamboo closure. I was in line to make the purchase but, then thought the paper in it might be a bit too thin.

Those that have done this twice before. knowing the type of artwork put in your others...would something like that be alright to use? If so, I will go back and get it otherwise I will use the one I did purchase today.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

...Amazon by Blood...

Just to reiterate to all:

=>Please, please, please, only sign up if you will see the project to the end. Your commitment is what is necessary for the project to be successful.<=

Think of this as your last 'out'. If you have prior commitments or if work is at it's 'busy time', we understand.

I'd like to finalize the list by Sunday, so if you find that you would like to be removed from the list this go-round, no worries. pirate.gif Otherwise, you pirate.gif locked in to 11 months of Pyracy Pub Sketchbook shenanigans.

When the final list is posted, please PM the person to whom you will be sending your sketchbook so that you can receive their snail mail addy.

Hopefully, by now you have created the book you will be sending around for this...round. You have approximately three weeks or so before the first mailing. SO GET DRAWING!!!

pirate.gif

Yep, think I am going to have to back out. Sorry I didn't see this yesterday....my brain just isn't wrapped around it right now! Maybe next year though! It sounds like SOOO much fun.

Thanks guys!

Banner.jpg

Well I have a book.

However, I started to buy one with handmade paper, rather cool looking with a fabric covering with a bamboo closure. I was in line to make the purchase but, then thought the paper in it might be a bit too thin.

Those that have done this twice before. knowing the type of artwork put in your others...would something like that be alright to use? If so, I will go back and get it otherwise I will use the one I did purchase today.

I would be a little leery. Some of the stuff put in the books is done in black ink, which bleeds through thin paper. Also, if people do collage (like myself) it's nicer if the paper is a bit heavier. Sometimes I'll do my artwork on a separate piece of paper, and then glue or tape (I think I go through pounds of double-sided tape. LOL) that into the book, especially if I'm using a wet media — I don't want to risk damaging work that is already in the book. B)

Does that help? :D

BTW, if you really like the other book, I would go ahead and get it, and use it for your own personal journal, rather than the one you send out on the round.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Thanks that is what I thought, so I will stay with the one I have now. OK, will be starting the first couple of pages.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

...Amazon by Blood...

Most of the past sketchbooks had quality"art paper", so ink wouldn't bleed through the pages... But the one I made was only typing paper, so bleed through was a problem. But I posted on the first page a warning letting people know that.

If you're not sure about bleed through on someones sketchbook, you can test your ink, paint of glue on the very last page of the sketchbook. If bleed through Is a problem, do you art work on another piece of paper, and glue or tape it in.

Ah - good suggestion, Patt. My book is not made of heavier art paper. For the artwork I've been doing on it - some of which involves working with watercolours - I put a sheet of wax paper under the sheet I worked on until it dried. On another project I did the work on heavier paper and glued it in.

RHJMap.jpg

I noticed with my own journals, which are the art paper type, that if I use any kind of marker, like a Sharpie, it tends to bleed through to the other side as well.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

banner2a.gif

pirate3.jpg<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Final Artist Manifest:</span>pirate3.jpg

• PEW: Annapolis, Md
    V
  • Matusalem: Wanaque, NJ
    V
  • withoutaname: Brooklyn, NY
    V
  • Callenish Gunner: NW Pa
    V
  • Lady Seahawke: Columbus, Oh
    V
  • Kate_Souris: Canal Winchester, Oh
    V
  • pyrateleather: Shawnee, Ks
    V
  • Ransom: Gants Pass, Or
    V
  • Patrick Hand: Arnold, Ca
    V
  • Red-Handed Jill: San Francisco, Ca
    V
  • Cpt Sophia M Eisley: Orlando, Fl
    V
  • Pew...

pirate41.gif

PM the person below you to receive their mailing address. We will aim for August 1st for the first round to go out.

Just to give some ideas of what you might get in your book, when it finally makes it home. B)

Here is the front of my second round book after it came home. I had an envelope inside full of tags, and everyone put a characature of themselves on one, and tied it to the spine, as I already had danglies tied there to start with(I love danglies. LOL ).

100_2567.jpg

This is some of my own work that I did inside before I sent it out.

100_2568.jpg

Then here is a silly one I did for Patrick's book.

100_2353.jpg

Just to show that, really, anything goes! :D

And on a more serious note, I recommend photographing the work you do in each book, including your own. It is a record for you, and if a book gets lost, you can e-mail copies of what you did in it to the person whose book went missing, so they at least have something. I did that for Patrick, since he still doesn't have his first round book back.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Ok Michael got kinda upset when I told him that I had dropped out- he wanted to contribute something to my pages too....am I too late to hop back in? I'm such a fence jumper....but we'll electrify this fence....

Electrified eh??

Hmmm....