Pyrate Sketchbooks

Pew

Hopefully to begin August 1.

banner2a.gif

What you need:

• Art book; usually 9" by 6"
  • Ability to spend $5-$10 monthly to mail the journal to the next artist on the pub
  • Live within the contiguous United States
  • A commitment to see the project to the end

The guidelines of the sketchbook rounds:

• 12 artists max.
  • Books passed on the 1st of each month, gives each artist at least four weeks to do two to three pages.
  • Keep the books fairly small - such as the easily available black, 9" x 6" ring-bound artists sketch books
  • Any art work style/medium is fine. This is not "fine art" nor is it meant to be "period". It is a fun project with a pirate theme.
  • Materials, as I said, can be anything from rubber stamps, stencils, paints, pencil, crayons, clip art, to your own personal drawings

Paraphrased from Patrick's and Ransom's previous posts about the sketchbooks:

Here's how it works:

You get a sketchbook,

You do about 4 - 6 pages of whatever you want in the sketchbook...

On or before the first of the month, you mail the sketchbook to the person after your name on "the List"......

Depending on how many other Pyrates are playing will determine how long it will take to get your sketchbook back.....

The mailing cost would depend on the size of the sketchbook you use. Average mailing seemed to be anywhere from 5 - 7 dollars. I don't recommend the book-rate mailings, since it can take weeks for a book to travel to the next artist in line.

The number of pages you choose to do is up to you. When we went from two weeks to a month in between, it gave everyone plenty of time to do as many pages as they wanted. Some did only three or four, some did up to eight or nine.

Various examples:

PirateJournal7-lg.jpg

PirateJournal6-lg.jpg

PirateJournal3-lg.jpg

PirateJournal2-lg.jpg

PirateJournal1-lg.jpg

=>Please, please, please, only sign up if you will see the project to the end. Your commitment is what is necessary for the project to be successful.<=

The "List":

Everyone that wants to participate, please post your name and approximately where you live.... (so I can figure out the most efficient mailing route).

pirate3.jpgArtist Manifest:pirate3.jpg

• PEW: Annapolis, Md
  • Matusalem: Wanaque, NJ
  • withoutaname: Brooklyn, NY
  • Callenish Gunner: NW Pa
  • Lady Seahawke: Columbus, Oh
  • pyrateleather: Shawnee, Ks
  • Ransom: Gants Pass, Or
  • Patrick Hand: Arnold, Ca
  • Red-Handed Jill: San Francisco, Ca
  • Cpt Sophia M Eisley: Orlando, Fl

pirate41.gif

Ya never know wha' may b' waitin' for ye 't th' end o' th' round....

893a_12.JPG

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey.... I'm a sucker for punishment..... SO I'm in again....

I keep looking through my last sketchbook and thinking... WOW... such cool stuff..... I can get sloppy/sentimental about it..... but all of the entrys in my sketchbook are so dang cool, that it is fun.... and getting to draw stuff in other's books is a huge part of the fun......

The sketchbook project is so dang much fun....

Shipping cost are closer to about $8.00 to $10.00 a month but heck that's do able...

The biggest problem with the project is everyone playing has to post when they send out thier books and when they recieve them or else it will drive PEW crazy........ (ask me or Ransom)

Not to put the next project down or nothing, because when it works.... it is so dang fantastic, fun and cool ......

It's great to get a buncha people playing..... and we are all adults here.... but it's stinking frustrating (like hearding cats) for just one person to mess it all up.... so if you wanna play, you gotta keep playing....

We all know that real life can mess with it, but hey, let the person next know that, and we can deal with it...... Pyrates can do that.... can't we.?...

Hey..... like I typed.....

I wanna play again.....too much fun to pass up....

Okay, I swore I wouldn't do this again, but heck, like Patrick, I must be a glutten for punishment. Besides, Pew told me he has some kewl new ideas to try, so I figure, since he volunteered to be cat wrangler on this one, I'd go for it.

This can be a REALLY FUN project, but one person can ruin it for everyone and cause a huge traffic jam. I hate to sound like someone's crabby high school teacher, but fun as it is...

DON'T SIGN UP UNLESS YOU WILL STAY TO THE END. IT CAUSES A REAL HAIR BALL WHEN SOMEONE BAILS OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF THINGS, OR KEEPS THE BOOKS FOR MONTHS BEFORE PASSING THEM ON.

The key word here is...

COMMITMENT!!!!!

Okay, I'm off my soapbox, and will now hand the reins over to Pew. B)

Ransom....Southern Oregon.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

That's the kewl part about these sketchbook rounds. You can use litereally anything in them. Actually, it's kinda fun looking for different stuff and experimenting on how to attach it to the pages of the books. Last round I made two and three piece POTC-type nav charts that actually turned, which was fun.

Stuff used in previous books:

rubber stamps

liquor labels (it's fun aquiring these!)

paint

pencil

plastic cocktail swords

stickers

maps

game pieces

tokens

playing cards

computer gererated pictures

grog/drink recipes

clip art

wax seals

envelopes with stuff inside

tags

feathers

sequins

glitter

So, you get the picture....ANYTHING goes! B)

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Wow.... I was reading in another forum where they tried sending a sketchbook ...well there were two seperate attempts.... and in both of them, the sketchbooks never even got to the second person on the list.....

Dang.... we've done this twice, and only lost two sketchbooks.... hopefull the third round will work out even better.....

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, Patrick. I re-read a bit of that thread on the other forum. The round they started in England died right off. The one they started in the US only got to the first person, then he dropped off the face of the planet — with the book. There is supposed to be one making the rounds in Australia, but I don't know the status of that one. And that's only ONE book making the round, not a book for each player. And you know, after reading about all those books, I still couldn't figure out who got to keep the finished book when they were done. All these people signing up to play, and only one book to play in? Where's the fun in that? :lol::D

And, now that Pew has his original book back, that's only one book missing — and we know who has it, we just need to contact him again and get him to mail it home.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Wow.... I was reading in another forum where they tried sending a sketchbook ...well there were two seperate attempts.... and in both of them, the sketchbooks never even got to the second person on the list.....

Dang.... we've done this twice, and only lost two sketchbooks.... hopefull the third round will work out even better.....

You all deserve a gold star...

Should our endeavors in real life enjoy such diligence and honor... Think of the possibilities...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Should our endeavors in real life enjoy such diligence and honor... Think of the possibilities...

So you're in then?

:P:ph34r:

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Ok, it sounds like a lot of fun.

I would like join in this time!

Now located in ...Columbus, OH

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

Something else learned from the Second round of Sketchbooks....

Everyone should put thier name on the first page, so when everyone post that they have recieved a book, they will know who's sketchbook it is.

Also, as I asked in the first round, and Patrick asked in the second — It helps if each artist works a few pages of their book first, to kinda give it a flavor or theme, which helps the artists down the line decide on what to do in each book. This is much more fun, than for the first-leap artists to each get a blank book, with only a name on the front or inside page. There have been people who have sent their books out with no artwork in them to start, but I think most of us prefer getting a first book in the round that already has one or two pages of the owners work in it, to spur us on. :huh:

Just my two-bits worth. :huh:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

THIS IS ACTUALLY KATE SOURIS! (I was too lazy to log in as meself.... :) )

I would love to join in if it's not too late? I am an avid scrapbooker, so I hope that I would be able to contribute something fantastic to these books....and it just sounds like fun!

Michael_banner.jpg

Ransom and I both know the hastles of the project..... but it is still worth doing.... think about it for a moment.... why are Ransom and myself playing for the third round...... it because it is so stinkin' much fun.....

The problems and hastles of the sketchbook are easy... huck we are all adults.... POST....POST...POST..... let everyone know when you've sent out a book, and let everyone know when you've recieved a book....heck we post here alla th' tyme..... so whats the problem with that..... and it will let PEW know if anything is wrong....

Hey.... at the first of the month money becomes a problem for me... and it's embarising to post that.... so I was a week late sending stuff out..... shoulda posted that.... but hey... didn't want to sound like I was poor..... HECK... it didn't really matter....

The sketchbook Projects are so stinkin cool, that we can all deal with it.... we just gotta post any delays an such so PEW dosen't go crazy......

Another note.... shipping the sketchbooks will cost you about $7.00 to $9.00....

smaller more compact sketchbooks work just as well as something huge.....and cost less for shipping.... but anyone that wants to play, should be awaire of the slight monthy cost envolved......

but anyone that wants to play, should be awaire of the slight monthy cost envolved......

So noted... :huh: and still wants to participate!

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...