The Pirates Charles

MadL

Ok, so hear o'em? Like 'em? Dislike e'm?

I heard them for me first time in Big Bear where they had a sound that what 'different yet familiar' 'n it drew me in (plus they got a cute violinist).

Then I saw them again at NorthCal Pirate Fest, this time I had t' get one o' their CDs 'n listen'd t' it all th' way home....then it hit me! They sound like a piratey version o' 'Blind Melon' with a hint o' 'Guns&Roses' 'n just a dash o' 'Jethro Tull' (the TJ be come'n from the piper o'course).

They did some original stuff as well as their own takes on some traditional.

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

saw them at pyratecon. giving them the benefit of the doubt, i found them on youtube. much better than their pyratecon performance but still the same three songs. sorry, i can only @^$# the queen so many times. nice if its a free venue, but will save my money and get another brigands C.D.

i know they were popular at pyratecon so let the daggers fly now.

Saw/heard them for the first time last Sept. in Ojai. LOVED them. They stayed in front of the Tales encampment and sang with us for at least a half an hour. I bought one of their CDs then. At Nor Cal, they rocked. And even when Eyes, myself and our misguided treasure hunters accosted them while resting between gigs, they played right along with our silly gag. Great guys. <_<

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

only three songs eh?

they musta redone their Cd for it got 17 tracks in all.

ya, most are fast but got a couple t' slow dance to as well it does :lol:

Pirates Charles is one of my favorite bands around at the moment (and indeed, they have many more than 3 songs, although I can't vouch whether or not they played more than 3 at PyrateCon, as the venues were too crowded for me to stick around.)

The beauty of Pirates Charles is that they make modern piracy seem natural - on stage they were clothes from various decades, including GAoP, Victorian, and even the 70s - and yet it all works for them. I adore this sort of pirate-inspired fashion, and well in-sync with my own "big tent" view on piracy.

NorCal was definitely the Pirates Charles element. They played on a huge stage on Sunday, and worked the crowd like electric putty in their hands. It was a marvel to witness.

I AM BILGEMUNKY

I saw them at one of the pre-pyratecon parties in LA and they rocked. . .they continued to rock in New Orleans first in Pirates Alley on Thursday night, then at their concerts both on Friday and Saturday nights.

As I told them in person, their energy doesn't reflect in their CDs. . .but they are incredible in person. I have all their music and truthfully. . .to me. . . it's not near what they do on stage.

IMHO

Pirates Charles is some what personal to me as they sang thar hearts out while Eye was standin on the bar at Hobnobbers for my B-Day.

Capt. Lars be witness.

My wife knows 'em personally and has even played her Bodhran with them.. I like them and think they'er are a good performing group.. I just wish they had more material but that takes tyme which seems this band has been short of due to all the events I have seen them at.

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

As I told them in person, their energy doesn't reflect in their CDs. . .but they are incredible in person. I have all their music and truthfully. . .to me. . . it's not near what they do on stage.

IMHO

I think that can be held true o' any group from any era actually. I can remember many rock bands I listen'd to as a lad 'n had grown a certain 'vision' of what they where, but then after see'n them on stage they would become bigger then life they would.

It seems to this day that those I have seen in the flesh all tend t' still move me more then those who I only heard on vynil or o'er th' radio. E'en today when I hear their songs I begin t' 'see' them stand'n before me once again; adds a different perspective t' th' sound it does.

• 2 months later...

Certainly my favorite "pirate" band. They try to capture the rugged feel of old as well as different styles. I like them because they keep an earthy feel and as others said, they are great live. How many pirate bands stick a pistol (fake of course) in a kids face and "ask" for donations. They really are cool cats from personal experience, and they really do work their butts off to make things happen.

They keep the pirate spirit (pretty much constantly) alive and they rock in my books because of that. One of their best traits is sounding the same live as they do on CD so there's never a let down.

Don't judge them by 3 songs they just happened to put out. If you want one CD to check out then I seriously suggest "2nd Edition Subsection B New Steez the Second, Volume Two", their best work in my opinion.

The Quartermaster

Pirate Charles was at Ojai again this year, and with their own booth, where they sang un-plugged and you could buy their CDs. Then they also played on stage several times a day. On Saturday night they plugged in and rocked out, although the sound system was kinda fuzzy. Great band, and great guys.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

My husband knows them cant says i ever met them personally i think they came to the gate while i was greetin at esco seem alright.... I love sand in the rum and flower of bermuda

But why is the rum gone?

Save a horse ride a cowboy!

Take me away and take me farther, suround me now and hold me like holy

My toes are getting pruney

Also my head is round that window is square....

My name is Micheal J Kabous and i eat babies!

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff