RBG cannons

Silver

i'm in the market for a cannon and have read some of the threads here about the verious cannon makers. i see hearns and greystar talked about in a positive tone. i have been checking out RBG they have a 36"swivel that would look great on a carriage, a little on the heavy side at 175lbs(barrel only) . has anyone bought from them before?

I would really suggest Hern's. They have the best price I've found so far, in any good quality that is. Judging by the only price I can find on RBG's site, they're a wee bit too proud of their work.

I'm only quoting the swivel gun:

Specifications: Swivel Gun

Barrel Length / Bore Dia.  38” / 1.5”

Price Complete(includes Rammer and Worm)  $3,900.00

Barrel Size for Carriage  32”-40"

Carriage only with Brass Hardware  $1,800.00

Carriage with Brass Trunion Assembly and Iron Hardware  $1,690.00

Assuming these prices are correct, take the carriage price(we'll use brass to be generous on their part) away from the complete unit price, and you come up with $2,100.00 for just the damn barrel. :unsure:

Hern's, on the other hand, has the same barrel(more or less):

From the website:

feswivel2.jpg

English Swivel Gun (1 1/2" Bore)(30"LG) 90 pounds full scale $426.05

Just trying to help, I hate to see people throw money away. :(

Here's the next cannon my crew plans to acquire:

[imghttp://www.hernironworks.com/cannons/carronade1.jpg[/img]

Carronade (1 1/2" Bore)(25"LG) 72 pounds 5/8 scale $282.10

Hern's price list

I made the mistake of not shopping around before I bought the 44mm naval cannon we currrently have. Thing cost me almost $1,000.00 from Wild Imports, and though she's a beaut in bronze, I could have saved alot of money by going with Hern's and building the carriage myself.

Captain_Sigart.jpg

Captain of the Iron Lotus

It is the angle that holds the rope, not the size of the hole.

Thing cost me almost $1,000.00 from Wild Imports, and though she's a beaut in bronze, I could have saved alot of money by going with Hern's and building the carriage myself.

Don't worry about that happening again, Wild Imports is no longer around. The website's gone, e-mail get's rejected and land line is answered by a guy that says they're out of business.

Does anybody have any feedback about Hern's larger gun tubes (Like the full scale 6 pounder)? They are a very good price, but their website goes to pains to state they are not for firing and you sign off as such to buy one.

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

huh interesting. Read Hern's fine print. warranty is for decoration only. no boom.

"Hern Iron Works makes no Warrantee whatsoever concerning its cannons. They are sold for decorative purposes only and we do not imply that they are good for anything else. Buyer accepts all responsibility for all use or misuse of the cannon. However, if at any time you are unhappy with a Hern cannon, you may return it, postpaid, to the foundry for replacement or refund."

Check with Harbormaster. I believe he has some of their cannon. I know they're capable of firing at least blank rounds. The way I understand it, their fine print is primarily to keep from being liable for anyone's injuries or property damages if they say, (read "stupidity") fill one with smokeless powder and a ball that's too tight and creates a rather unpleasant bomb.

Captain_Sigart.jpg

Captain of the Iron Lotus

It is the angle that holds the rope, not the size of the hole.

Both Royaliste and Tales of the Seven Seas have been using Hern Iron Works cannons for years. Haven't blown ourselves up yet...

TY for the info, that be a good endorsement to me.

Please don't say YET! :lol:

We'd like to be keepin ye around, just a bit longer.

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

Wild Imports is defunct because the actual maker, in Argentina, decided to sell direct. You find his cannon on EBAY now.

Imprting cannon from outside the country is a $$$$ proposition and be prepared to spend a day at Customs once they look at the ship manifest. If it says Cannon, they think your a terrorist. I had to get somethig in writing from ATF stating my cannon was not a "firearm" by definiton.

My $1000.00 bronze cannon from England cost me almost $2000 total,

cuz of shipping costs and to clear customs and dock fees.

BTW I've used a greystar barrel for years , no problems

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

Do the Wild Imports supplier have a website or do you know their E-bay seller name?

Thanks!

That disclaimer is to protect them from dumb people who don't take the time to learn the dos and don'ts of cannons, you'll find most of the cannon manufactures have that clause. I have the Hern 2/3 scale 6 pounder that I have never fired only because I can't find a place to do so and it is heavy. I wish now I had bought their english swivel gun because it is a lot less weight.

surgery001.jpg

Sorry to be late to this conversation..., I have a curranet case of "Cut-Throat".

After doing a search of Cannon I did however find this most recent thread.

As with all the pirates on the board .., they all have sound advice to give.

As with Captain_MacNamara I will say for sure the Hern barrel is the most for the money.

Rusty Barrels is most certainly correct when he states Hern disclaimer as being a legal issue and not an issue of quality. Imagine the money a 2008 cannon lawsuit would cost today. Ugly.

Along with Capt Thighbiter I would also agree I have felt safe with my Grey-Star. I have a small 1"bore 6 pdr from grey star and it is sure a loud and fun bang. Moving up from a 1"bore however will greatly add to your cannons weight., I believe Capt Thighbiter's Grey-Star is a 1.5 bore., which is substantially more cannon however still mobile.

I think from all my cannon the most power to weight ratio would be 1.5 to 1.75 bore class .., they are very loud and still light enough to move.

I cannot help you with personal experience on the Large Herns (Full Scale 6 pdrs.) However I can say on my own personal 3/4 scale herns ...., a pair of 3"ordinance rifles in naval carriages ....., Yes we do live fire rounds.., the HERN CANNON is for more than blank charges., you can feel confident in owning one. If you live fire it., start with smaller charges., then work up a bit., never pack a tight load. Mine are 2.25 "bores and weigh 340 pounds per barrel . We break the sound barrier with pinapple and mango juice cans full of concrete . A Hern is a good deal.

Then lastly there is having one machined out of solid billet.,it costs more., but you get more.

All these pirates have sound advice., These pirates speak from experience.

The one sound piece of advice I can add is........., If you dont have time to inspect., clean ., and oil the gun (Cannon) then you dont have time to fire it. Start with small loads.,clean oil and inspect..., you'll live to fire another day.

Fair Well.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Oops., in my delirium in between whats real and whats not real., I for got the real reason for my reply. Yes Wild Imports is over. I do have a small wild imports cannon as well . I do like it however it is a HMS Victory Signal cannon.,the 1.75"bore makes a wonderful report however the wall thickness is not one I would trust to fire a projo weighing any more than a golf-ball., Now after talking with Osvaldo ., Mr.Gatto..., the owner of the Manufactoring plant., I am very interested in a 6 of his waterloo barrels. these are also a 1.75 bore and are much heavier in the breach. Mr.Gatto has produced and sold 1800 cannon to the US and and many more times that in europe. His heavier cannon are capable of live fire and are a beautiful golden bronze ., (not so much red as in my 660 bronze stuff)

Mr.Gatto is a wonderful armour and makes wheel locks ., cannon and other delightful weapons of war his emails to me are prompt., polite and hard to beat..., Osvaldo Gatto [avancarga@osvaldogatto.com.ar] If anyone would like to visit Osvaldo and Martins (Son) web-site here it is.,, Please book mark it. Martin can be seen in photos through-out the web-site..., he is the one dressed like a pirate !!!

Réplicas de Armas Antiguas - Prof. Osvaldo Gatto

Oh and to touch on RGB's work., Duck Islands cannons.., They are fine pieces of work., Jewelry if you will. I have seen their work up close., all you can do is steel ideas. their carriage work is outstanding and second to none., like a fine gibson les paul ., they book match all the pieces., even the manufactor of the wheels is correctly book-matches grains., Out standing work.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Thank you both men ! ., Its been hell really.,I am going thru a double Discectomy . this is the removal of 2 disks at the c4 and c5 level. Herniated., worn out and vertibrae rubbing bone to bone . this is causing me pain and paralysis.., so.., we are trading pain and paralysis away for a certain amount of immobility...,? How much i dont know. I am recovering at home now., with a metal plate across 3 vertibrae held intact with 6 screws...., they fish-plated me keel mates ! Cut-me throat whilst I was sleepin' they did. I am determineed to continue SCUBA., there fore a good fusion is necessary in the healing process.

life changing events are happening for me., no more "Rooter Service' (The employee operating it wants to buy it. I will be completing my move over seas soon., the house is for sale !!!!!!!!!

surgery002.jpg

Cannons DO make pirates feel well defended (They readied the bedroom for me) If youll notice they included for me the "Bell of the Town-Crier" just in case I needed something..., water?..,another pill ? L. Silver ..., now thats my idea of a swivel sir !

Wow, ye be havin some rough weather.

But, ye be havin a right fine attitude and be aimin fer the horizon. This storm shall pass as ye have already said.

I hope ye gets a speedy recovery and back and about soonest. Thank ye so much fer the info on the Argentina lads.

Till the morrow.

-Greydog

:huh:

<_< ....Aye Laddies......Got to throw in with several others here.....The Hern Iron works is an awesome cannon....The disclaimer is, I suppose for liabilities, and justly so....When I sailed aboard the Royaliste I never knew their guns were from Hern... I found Hern on me own, searchin' the web....My dealings with them were great .....I mounted two swivels on carriages and have been totally satisfied with them. Tales and I believe RHJ have smaller carronades, but "Oh God," do they roar. They put out a quality barrel at a good price and if ya have friends in need of barrels....Order En-Mass....Ye can save a ton of Gelder.... B)
galleon_25235_th1.gif Iron Hand's Plunder Purveyor of Quality Goodes of questionable origins

thank you all for the advice on the cannon manufactures. sorry to have disappered during the thread but my PC took a broadside of lighting right after i posted the request. had to deep six it and get a new PC and have just got it online. i do like the hearn's swivel and a lighter gun would be more useable ashore and afloat. does anyone have there swivel?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Just me two bits worth. RBG cannons are pricey but it hand crafts each one. i know him personally. I've been to his shop. now if i can get him to turn his back on me for a minute i'd be having me a swivel as well!

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."