Free rowing T andTh - NYC

Last night my mate and I took advantage of the Village Community Boathouse.

This non-profit is based on pier 40 off of Clarkson and W Side Highway in the Village. On T and Th evenings they provide a free after work adult program of novice to experienced rowers on 25-foot Whitehall gigs (also have masts for sailing). You can also go out on Sat late mornings to afternoons.

Tomorrow is National Learn to Row Day so if you are in the NYC area- they are running a special program during the day!

In addition, all the wood boats they use are built in their learn to build a boat class ( i think it is the New School).

--

As for my experience last night. Rowing, or all athletic activities, do not come natural for me. The coxswain was extremely patient and helpful- but being under 5' foot (or about 3 apples high) these things are not meant for my height. On a normal person, the block for feet is reachable and the oar handle does not go over their head when at the correct angle. As for my smurfy height, everything is just a bit too tall for me- creating an extra challenge for my naturally spastic self.

As for my mate, he loved it and will probably go every week, it's also about 4 blocks from his job not a 1 hour and 45 min subway ride and walk. as it is for me. I envy his job location and his natural ability for things nautical.

But I can out perform him in the kitchen any day :) So I guess we are even. :unsure:

"It is more like I am transitioning from a pirate hobby to the pirate lifestyle"- me

pub_footer.jpg

Well, my camera completely failed when I went to the Center for Wooden Boats in Seattle. ;)

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

sounds fantastic....want to see photos....by the way...ya mentioned the build too??...any idea if they sell em??

don't think they actually sell them, as far as I can see they actually use all of the ones they have.

"It is more like I am transitioning from a pirate hobby to the pirate lifestyle"- me

pub_footer.jpg

uh no pictures?????? withoutaname is also withoutacamera?? tease! say hi to the other half- was indeed great meeting you both.

withoutaname was afraid of a missing camera when returning to port so she went withoutacamera. All I know is I have been seeing a tricorn floating around in the office area, I hear if there be pirates about, my camera may go missing. :lol:

it was great meeting you. And if we make it back to Hampton next year you'll have 2 experienced (at that point, really experienced) rowers around.

pub_footer.jpg