Need Help Looking for a good name for a Tavern

The Bull & Blunderbuss

Tavern

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Not names I made up, but rather some real PUB names:

The Cock and Bottle

Frog And Nightgown

The Nobody Inn

Nowhere Inn Particular

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

You might consider referring to a book such as Old London taverns by Edward Callow for historically based information regarding tavern naming practices &c.

Best of luck.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

I believe The Slaughtered Lamb in NYC takes its name from a similar inn in the classic horror/comedy film, "American Werewolf In London".

Alas, my studies of taverns in the Mid-Atlantic states in the 18th century turned up singularly unexciting names. Many seemed to be simply named for the proprietor, so you find Fraunces Tavern, Haviland's Inn, Strang's Tavern, etc.

As for me, my favorite name comes, not surprisingly, from my favorite pirate book, "The Rogue's Moon" by Robert Chambers. Much of the action takes place at The Lost Ship Tavern, which is a good, evocative name.

I also think The Rogue's Moon would be a great tavern name, as would The Silver Oar.

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

My favorite Irish pub out in CT is the Harp and the Hound. Up here in AK, we've got the Red Dog Saloon, the Island Pub, the Lucky Lady, Seiner's (and a host of others, of course). I also like the Reef Marker, Gull's Landing, and the Low Tide Tavern.

Finally, since I'm surprised nobody mentioned it earler, why not the Pyracy Pub?

Coastie :rolleyes:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Coastie writes:

My favorite Irish pub out in CT is the Harp and the Hound.

...my rockabilly band used to play El & Gee's pub in New London a few years ago.

As far as names, there is but only one Black Pearl and it has nothing to do with Disney. Newport.,R.I.

IMG_1187b.jpg

IMG_1187.jpg

SHIP2-1.jpg

I've used several pub/tavern names in the stories I write.

Dancing Man (sign is a hanged skelton)

The Mug and Loaf

The Black Rat

The Stolen Horse

The Fish Hook Tavern

Actually, tons more, that I made up, but never used.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

The Rose and Crown

The Thistle and Crown

The Dancing Dolphin

The Blue Dragon Inn

The Hole (Named for the landing spot that became one of the first settlements on Barbados.)

The Oar Over the Door

Tell yer mate, best o' luck!

Blackbead

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

Knot Inn

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

I'd add my own...

But there are so many cool ones already, I just doff my floppy hat to the ones I like best!

Rumba's Captain's Daughter is cool on SO many levels... its my #1

Ransom's Dancing Man is a very close second... I can just see the "sign" now....

Historically, as some of you may know, signs were made for the illiterate. There were no words on them, but the sign was often a 3D item up on a pole.

So you could say, go the the sign of the Golden Wheel, and you go where he said and there would be a physical/real golden wheel on a post.

So... the sign of the Dancing Man... a neat little skeleton hangin from a pole... too cool!

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

So... the sign of the Dancing Man... a neat little skeleton hangin from a pole... too cool!

GoF

Thanks for the compliment, GoF! In the story I wrote, the Dancing Man was a very rough place, where only the worst scum hung out. :o I liked the name so well, I've used it several times. So I guess it's really already been taken — by me. LOL

Maybe I should open a tavern with that name? Hmmmmm........

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I believe The Slaughtered Lamb in NYC takes its name from a similar inn in the classic horror/comedy film, "American Werewolf In London".

Did ya be noticin' Mr Mercer impersonatin' a young man in that flick?

I think ya needs ta follow a formula like the blues singers use. Somethin' like a random verb attached ta an animal with some sort 'o malady.

PIRATES!  Because ye can't do epic shyte wi' normal people.

Here is me very own tavern (& forge)...took me a while to come up with something I liked, and something piratical in nature, but here it is. Like some of the names above, this is an actual establishment at my home, where I do all of my work, and also entertain guests when they come to call...

ShopSign3.jpg

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)