Drakes Raid ,St Augustine

willie wobble

Drake's Raid june6-8 in St Augustine is any crew from the pub going ?this will be my 3rd year at the event although it is more 16 th century ,somewhat before my time ( 1680) they do have some loaner garb to fill in what is needed , there is plenty of room to camp at the fountian of youth park ,,, http://www.searlesbuccaneers.org/

I can only come for the day, but I will be there. Need an excuse to try out my brand new matchlock!

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As Willie heard over the weekend, our crewe will be there in force. Well, at least half a dozen or so of us, perhaps more.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Hoping to be there, if work allows!

Red Sea Trade

--Adam and the Ants

Drake's Raid june6-8 in St Augustine is any crew from the pub going ?this will be my 3rd year at the event although it is more 16 th century ,somewhat before my time ( 1680) they do have some loaner garb to fill in what is needed , there is plenty of room to camp at the fountian of youth park ,,, http://www.searlesbuccaneers.org/

Here is some more info on the Upcoming Drakes raid event.

The 23rd annual Drake's Raid event commemorates the attack of the land and naval forces of Sir Francis Drake against Spanish San Agustín in June 1586. Encampment setup will take place at the Fountain of Youth Park on Friday, June 5. Drills, demonstrations, and 16th century living history interpretations will be presented from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Saturday, June 6 at the Fountain of Youth Park in St. Augustine. A battle between Spanish town's brave defenders and the English privateers and brigands of Sir Francis Drake will be enacted beginning at 7:00 p.m. The battle will commence at the Santo Domingo Redoubt near the City Gates, proceed down St. George Street, and conclude at the Governor's Palace at the Plaza de la Constitución. The event's conclusion, encampment teardown and cleanups will take place on Sunday, June 7. For more information, contact Jeff Johnson at (904) 534-6168/or by email at jeffjohnsonfl@yahoo.com.

Edited by Sgt Johnson

"For God and the King"

Sgt. Jeff Johnson

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good day folks -

Captain William is without Internet at the moment, and has asked me to provide elaboration or further information on Drake's Raid.

Items not to wear or utilize at this event:

Skull and Crossbone flags/clothing/etc

Tricorns

Bandanas around the head

Sailor slops

They are not accurate for this time and location and should not be worn during this late 16th century reenactment.

Attached is an online version of the Drake's Raid flier, which has Jeff and William's blessing. Please utilize it for information on the date for the Raid, address for Fountain of Youth and Jeff and William's contact information.

Thursday night is the early night for camp, and Friday is the day most are arriving to set up and prepare for Raid day. If you choose to arrive early, please let Jeff or William know. Also, Thursday and Friday night will be a potluck of sorts, meaning everyone should bring something (food or drink) to contribute to the meal. Also, please remember that dressing in appropriate kit (not jeans and a t-shirt) is what is required to join in on meals and festivities. Helping out will win brownie points! :)

Drake's Raid Attachment (word document)

And here are a few scans of patterns for Venetian Breeches, period Shirt and Flat Cap, should anyone be interested in sewing their own kit for Drake's, and/or a future event centered on this period and area.

If for any reason you are unable to view the Drake's flier above, or pictures below, contact me at trinsghost@hauntedmansion.com for details.

Venetian Breeches Page 1 and Page 2

Shirt

Flat Cap

Edited by Cpt Sophia M Eisley

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

Additional Links -

If you are interested in wearing rope sandals (ropas, or Gurkees) at the event, you can order them online at the Lotion Source for $22 plus shipping (they're normally $28-$35).

Seeking out a good mug? Check out Westmoore Pottery, who have period accurate, durable mugs for sale.

Also, local sutler Jon Williams will have shirts, flat caps, ropas and (I think) breeches for sale at the event. Should you wish to contact him, please call 904-797-7217 or email him at sarjuan@aol.com

Lastly, if you are interested in gaining information via book, check out "The Armada Campaign: 1588" by the Osprey: Elite Series. The ISBN number is 0-85045-821-8.

Additional Links -

If you are interested in wearing rope sandals (ropas, or Gurkees) at the event, you can order them online at the Lotion Source for $22 plus shipping (they're normally $28-$35).

Seeking out a good mug? Check out Westmoore Pottery, who have period accurate, durable mugs for sale.

Also, local sutler Jon Williams will have shirts, flat caps, ropas and (I think) breeches for sale at the event. Should you wish to contact him, please call 904-797-7217 or email him at sarjuan@aol.com

Lastly, if you are interested in gaining information via book, check out "The Armada Campaign: 1588" by the Osprey: Elite Series. The ISBN number is 0-85045-821-8.

Add another to the book list: Osprey's Elizabethan Sea Dogs 1560-1605 (Elite).You can find them on Amazon.

Also new arrival time for the event. You can arrive on Thrusday June 4th after 12pm. The event will start around 3 pm on Friday. Those arriving after that time please be prepared to unload your gear, remove your vechicle and kit out ASAP. Please be aware that in order to participate in the Friday night and Saturday day and night activities you will need to be properly dressed out in period garb.

Again there will be no women on the battle field, no tricorns, no skull and cross bones and no non 16th century garb. We thank you for your understanding in theses matters. We are trying to portry an authentic 16th century experenince for the reenactor as well as the public.

Food will be provided On Friday and all dsy Saturday. You will need to fend for yourself on Thrusday. St Augustine has many fine eateries to choose from so there should be no problem there. If you have any questions please feel free to call me at 904-534-6168, or email jeffjohnsonfl@yahoo.com.

"For God and the King"

Sgt. Jeff Johnson

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jeff - When last speaking with William, he made mention of possibly going out en masse (in lieu of pot luck) to a local and inexpensive restaurant, as it would be a more feasible option, especially for out of towners from the Keys. Lid noted the restaurant William mentioned to me is Santa Maria. We could take a couple of cars to that location for a good meal and unique atmosphere. Might that be alright?

A message from Cpt William of Searles Buccaneers

----

Greetings to all you Elizabethan Sea Dogs planning on making it to Drake's Raid,

Plans are a little more solid in terms of dinner for evening on Thursday night. We will be hosting a Low Country Boil - featuring shrimp and smoked sausage and a pony keg. A donation of 5$ per person to offset the cost of this as its not covered by event funds.

We wish you smooth sailing in your travels to St Augustine!

Captain William

Drake's Men and the city of St. Augustine look forward to hosting all sea dogs making the journey to our annual event. Below is the menu that will be served over the course of weekend. Officers for this event will be introduced on site. The kitchen is looking for all able bodied women (and men) to lend a hand, if interested please let know. If you have a head count for your group please send it along to me. If you have any questions please feel free to call or email. Safe journeys.

904-534-6168

jeffjohnsonfl@yahoo.com

Drakes Raid Menu

Breakfast (Served early for those camping on Site)

Scotch Eggs

Apple Pottage

Squash Cakes with Rose syrup

Lunch

Roast pork stuffed with minced meats & pine nuts

Chicken Cooked in Brine

Black Beans & Rice

Yams & Bananas

Cabbage Salad

Apple &Onion Salad

Citrus Salad

Peaches in Wine

Bread, Assorted Cheese, Fruit, & nuts will be available throughout the day.

Join us after the Battle for a savory sampling of Roast Venison, Potatoes, and Vegetable stew.

The Kitchen staff welcomes anyone who would like join us in the camp kitchen. Come and learn period recipes and techniques.

goddess.jpg

"For God and the King"

Sgt. Jeff Johnson

A fantastic time was had at Drake's Raid, thank you all for welcoming me up there. I also had a great time in the kitchen learning to cook up a storm.

Who knew I could figure out how to cook great meals over a fire! All the men were so appreciative of the work we did in the kitchen too! It's very nice to be appreciated for the work you do! Thank you all again for a wonderful weekend!

Here is a link to some of the pictures from the event. More to come!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2699...mp;l=e20c70cdc8

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

The food was absolutely otherworldly! My heartiest thanks to all the cooks. It was a great event, and there is nothing else like putting America's Oldest City to the torch.

Now if my clothes would just dry out...

Thanks to all who planned the event. It really is a highlight of my reenacting year.

Red Sea Trade

--Adam and the Ants

A message from Cpt William

-----------

Greetings from Drake's Men/Searles Buccanneers

We would like to thank all those who made the 23rd annual Drake's Raid a success. While there are far too many wonderful participants to thank individually we would like to let everyone know that all of you have our utmost appreciation for your attendance and contribution to this event. To all our new attendees, thanks for making the drive up and being open to suggestions in reference to your attire and its authenticity. There was much improvement by all.

Here's a link to some pictures - more to come as they are being edited and uploaded. Please feel free to use these as you wish with permission of the photographer (Shannon Cremeans)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wskunze/

Your Obediant Servant,

Cpt. William Kunze

• 2 weeks later...