Now Playing

Sir Eric

Golden Globes! Depp wins best actor Comdey/Musical! Sweeny Todd wins best Musical/Comedy . Even though watching the 'press conference' was as exciting as watching paint dry, I was pleased to see Depp and Todd get the recognition they deserve.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came into this movie totally blind, since I had not seen any of the plays, or other older movies. I did know the story, however.

I liked it. I was surprised at how well JD could sing, I liked the sets and costumes, and I really liked the black humor (singing about "waste not, want not" really cracked me up).

BUT, there were parts where I had to look away. I have a very vivid imagination. I don't need/want to see gaping, spurting, sliced necks up close and personal. I understood that it was meant to be over the top (come on, it's a Tim Burton movie), and it was. Interesting in that the parts that bothered my husband most were where the bodies dropped to the floor of the basement and you heard the cracking open of their skulls. That part didn't faze me. I did cringe when JD tossed Mrs. Loveit into the fire, though.

As for the pies — well, I don't fancy finding either a roach or a dirty thumb in mine, thank you ever so! :P

So, I give it two "thumbs" up! :P

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Hello.... Tim Burton.

Course it's not going to be business as usual. :P

I saw Len Cariu and George Hearn both on the stage with Lansbury. (Sorry Red Maria, I think Hearn has a great stage voice).... and anyway, movies are NOT stage productions nor are they made to be like them.

Voices can be subtler and in this I think it pays off. You can tell the pro singers from the actors giving it their best. Aside from a bit too much blood I was entertained and will add it to my DVD’s when it comes out.

And yes indeedy the 1926 silent version is out now on DVD.

Go Pirate one!

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

I think it's just the poor guys voice.

You can only do so much (chuckle) He's bound to sound like Jack now and again.... no matter what or who he's playing. :P

But you're right, I heard a tot of Jack in there form time to time. :P

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

• 3 months later...

Just got back from seeing the new Iron Man movie with my 2 powder monkeys. We all loved it. Very reminiscent of the Spiderman films and Transformers, but better than any of them. Robert Downey Jr. is perfectly cast -- Tony Stark is a arrogant jerkwad who ends up finding that there is more to life than piles of money and an endless string of disposable beautiful women. Nice to see Jeff Bridges play the slippery villain that he seemed like he always had in him.

And here's an odd bit of trivia -- Peter Billingsly, aka Ralphie from A Christmas Story not only has a bit part but is one of the many executive producers! I had heard that he had more or less given up acting for producing, but this is the first time I noticed his name in the credits.

Anyway, highly recommended. I'm interested in what everyone else thought.

I....AM.....IRON......JON!!!!!!!

(I didn't see the movie yet but I did see Black Sabbath several times in the 70's and 80's!)

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

Robert Downey Jr. is perfectly cast -- Tony Stark is a arrogant jerkwad who ends up finding that there is more to life than piles of money and an endless string of disposable beautiful women.....

:o

Now that t'aint very piraty of 'em, not very piraty at all I says...

SOMEBODY GET THAT LAD AN IRON PIRATE HAT!!!

:huh:

well, see'n as how Iron Man 'n Ghost Rider were two o' me fav-o-right comic books 'n Black Sabbath totally ROCKS (and yes, I am PARADOID that I just might be Ozzy Osbourne's bastard child), guess I will just have to forgive 'ol Iron Man for this short com'n...besides, I got an ichin in me breeches to see this one!!

secret trivia:

If'n ye play Wizard O' Oz backwards then ye will hear Judy Garland, as Dorothy, read a line from the original script:

"Witches at Black Masses, Fairies wear'n boots, and Children o' the Grave; Oh MY!!"

:lol:

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

Iron Man was awesome! I saw it up at the Arclight in Hollywood at almost midnight on Friday. Best superhero movie so far! No emo crap like Spider Man, nothing about revenge like the newer Batman movies, just pure fun! Tony Stark is a very cool superhero. He's a bit cocky, funny as well, but he actually cares at the same time! After the movie was over and of course staying for those credits, we wanted to see it again. It's that awesome! Such a fun ride! I'm pumped now for Indiana Jones, woo-hoo! ;)

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

Iron Man? I'll see that one on DVD. There's only one movie I want to pay theatre prices to see this summer...the man with the hat is back. And this time he's bringing Karen Allen.

And then there's Bond in November. A good movie year if the writing is up to past standards, I think.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Who is playing James Bond this time? I heard bits and parts of the new film but have not seen any details...

It's Daniel Craig again. He was fine in the last one; I just hope the writing is as good on this one. Bond has this tendency to make a really great first movie for a new actor and then give us a weak follow up. Some of the worst Bond films were "second" films (IMO): The Living Daylights and The Man With the Golden Gun come quickly to mind. (I didn't mind Brosnan's second film, Tomorrow Never Dies, although it wasn't as good as Goldeneye. TND did have the best Bond soundtrack ever, but you have to get the foreign release with all the tracks on it to fully appreciate it. (Bike Chase is the single finest Bond soundtrack tune I own.) As an added bonus, it doesn't include the whiny, awful (IMO again) Sheryl Crow song. Unfortunately, it also doesn't include the strong, wonderful k.d lang song either. But I digress...)

The new film is called Quantum of Solace. There are a bunch of pre-release "making of" videos you can see about it, although I haven't watched them. (Don't want to spoil it.)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

It's Daniel Craig again.

To me he looks just like Vladimir Putin.

Now, Putin was a KGB guy and James Bond is a 00. Coincidence? I think not. ;)

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

It's Daniel Craig again.

To me he looks just like Vladimir Putin.

Yes, I can see it... Craig is at least a very pithy actor. It's certainly a change from the debonair Brosnan style - that they were forever trying to rough up with torture scenes and whatnot. ;) They always seem to want to make some dramatic switch in tone when they bring in a new actor. From earthy Connery to goofy Moore to moody Dalton to suave Brosnan to edgy Craig. (Yes, I left out Lazenby. I don't know how you'd quantify his style. He needed another movie to prove himself. He seemed like he was playing at playing Connery to me. Too bad Connery wouldn't do OHMSS. It would have been the best film in the series.)

Well at least it isn't going to be Mr Bean!!!

the only one I don't have now on DVD is:

On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)

oh, and also missing:

The Return of the Man from U.N.C.L.E. (1983)

**oh, but I do have the entire series of:

Lancelot Link, Secret Chimp

...gotta love a chimp in a mini skirt!!! :lol:

I'm pumped now for Indiana Jones, woo-hoo! :lol:

I saw that last week....

It will not dissapoint! :lol:

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Jeff Bridges Indiana Jones and James bond?

You have my attention..pass the popcorn :o

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

• 2 weeks later...

Saw the movie and thought it was a real fun romp.

It was really cool to see all the coins we sold them in the movie. Just look for the coins in the crypt and the treasure room and you'll see some of the 5000 gold coins we supplied them.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com