Ships Masts

Hey I have one of these in my yard!

During the age of sail, the White Pine’s high quality wood was valued for masts, many trees were marked in colonial times with the broad arrow, reserving them for the British Royal Navy. An unusual large, lone, white pine was found, in coastal South Carolina along the Black River (far from where they normally grow) and the king's mark was put upon this particular tree, giving rise to the town of Kingstree. The wood was often squared immediately after felling to fit in the holds of ships better

The British soon built special barge-like vessels which could carry up to 50 pine trunks destined to be ship masts. A 100’ mast was about 3’X3’ at the butt and 2’X2’ at the top, while a 120’ mast was a giant 4’X4’ at the bottom and 30” at the top.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Today, especially for schooners, Sitka Spruce is highly prized for masts. I've got a couple dozen in my back yard, and they extend up the mountain as well. Now, if I only had a 80-120 foot boat, I'd be set!

Also, the needles can make a tasty tea.

Coastie :lol:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Today, especially for schooners, Sitka Spruce is highly prized for masts. I've got a couple dozen in my back yard, and they extend up the mountain as well. Now, if I only had a 80-120 foot boat, I'd be set!

Also, the needles can make a tasty tea.

Coastie :lol:

I've heard that spruce ale is pretty good... Apparently that is what I have heard form the War of 1812 re-enactors I used to run with that have drunk it. I've always wanted to give making it a go... But I can never find spruce when I need it... or when I have a source, I forget what season it is best to harvest needles in... ;) I think I am just not meant to try it.

Michael_banner.jpg

.. But I can never find spruce when I need it... or when I have a source, I forget what season it is best to harvest needles in... :lol: I think I am just not meant to try it.

Let me take a stab at this...Christmas? ;)

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

.. But I can never find spruce when I need it... or when I have a source, I forget what season it is best to harvest needles in...  :ph34r:   I think I am just not meant to try it.

Let me take a stab at this...Christmas? :ph34r:

That would be ironic... :ph34r:

But I actually think late spring (like right now) is the time recommended for harvesting in the sources I have read.... But of course I don't have the time right now to do any brewing... Nor do I think I can find a decent and unpoluted (not near a highway or factory) source of spruce in central Ohio... They were much easier to find when I lived in Ontario.

Michael_banner.jpg

As for the beer, try Alaskan Winter Ale (you probably need to wait until next year's vintage). It's made with spruce tips, a recipe that has its origins as far back as the 1700s in Southeast Alaska. So, if you're able to get your hands on a bottle (or case) of that, you'll be able to quench that curiosity. I'm going to try adding some to one of my batches of beer this summer.

Also, it's the new growth 'tips' that add the best flavor.

Coastie ;)

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Then let us all 'drink to our masts'

;)

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org