Cutlass Resource

roytheodd

About a year ago I started a thread here that was nothing more than a list of swords that fit our genre/period. I did it because at the time I had conducted a search of my own for just the right cutlass and it seemed I had compiled plenty of sword links. Well I’ve now committed to my first swordsmith and I hope to receive my blade sometime this summer. However, in committing I had the usual cold feet response of “what have I gotten myself into?” so I conducted a new sword search to prove to myself that I’m getting what I want. Therefore I have decided to update the list of swords and sword sellers.

In order from least expensive to most expensive (with a few that I don't know prices for), I give you the cutlass list:

KultOfAthena.com: Windlass Pirate Sabre, $45

KultOfAthenaPirateSabre.jpg

KultOfAthena.com: Windlass Black Pirate Cutlass, $45

KultOfAthenaBlackPirateCutlass.jpg

Bladematrix: Buccaneer Cutlass & Scabbard, $60

BladematrixBuccaneerCutlass.jpg

Bladematrix: Pirate Cutlass, $60

DMTNTCutlass.jpg

Bladematrix: Denix Brass Cutlass & Scabbard, $89

BladematrixDenixCutlassBrass.jpg

Bladematrix: Denix Nickel Cutlass & Scabbard, $89

BladematrixDenixCutlassNickel.jpg

Loyalist Arms: Dutch Cutlass & Scabbard, $90

LoyalistArmsDutchCutlass.jpg

Muskets.net: 1742 British Infantry Sword & Scabbard, $90

MusketdotNet1742BritishInfantrySwor.jpg

Musket.net: 1751 British Infantry Sword & Scabbard, $90

MusketdotNet1751BritishInfantrySwor.jpg

I will post a nice clamshell hanger that am making right now for a pubber.

Clamshell hanger ye say?!?

Aye, that be the itch'n in be britches for sure it be! I ha'e had me eye on some nice Dutch specimens for some time.

I will be watch'n for what ye post for I ha'e plans t' be look'n t' make order with someone by th' end o' this year I do!

Now 1stMate Matt, what sort o' steel do ye use in yer blades?? I not be look'n for a wall hanger...

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

Not to be a loose-footed mainsail... but the topmost sword listed in the thread is not the Windlass Steelcrafts version:

The product page for this sword is: http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~S...irate+Saber.htm

Kult of Athena *does* have the Windlass Steelcrafts version, and still cheaper than most places I've found it, but their Windlass Steelcrafts version is:

KultOfAthena.com: Windlass Steel Hilt Pirate Cutlass, $179.95

500160.jpg

The product page for this sword is:

http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~5...ate+Cutlass.htm

On a comparative note, I have purchased the $45 version, which isn't too bad with a little work with the proper tools.

SB5525.jpg

Generic Pirate Saber(Manufacturer not listed): $44.95

Blade: Stainless Steel, the blade itself isn't too bad for stainless.

However, this version has a rat-tail welded tang, using a 1/8th inch bolt for the tang, spot-welded to the blade approximately 1 inch down into the hilt from the guard.

Fittings: Cast zinc alloy

Handle Material: Plastic, not faux leather wrapped as listed

Scabbard: Pretty, what appears to be genuine leather sheath

500160.jpg

Windlass Steelcrafts Steel Hilt Pirate Cutlass: $179.95(Compare to the same exact Windlass Steelcrafts sword from Museum Replicas, who sells it for $235.00)

Blade: High-Carbon Steel, full tang

Fittings: All real Steel

Handle Material: Wood covered with genuine Leather

Scabbard: Genuine Leather with Steel throat and chape

All in all, if you can't afford alot on a sword, the $45 version is perfectly fine so long as you never try to hit/cut anything with it or drop it. The $180 version is a real weapon that can stand up to abuse.

SB5525.jpg500160.jpg

Left: $45 Right:$180

Captain_Sigart.jpg

Captain of the Iron Lotus

It is the angle that holds the rope, not the size of the hole.

I will post a nice clamshell hanger that am making right now for a pubber.

Clamshell hanger ye say?!?

Aye, that be the itch'n in be britches for sure it be! I ha'e had me eye on some nice Dutch specimens for some time.

I will be watch'n for what ye post for I ha'e plans t' be look'n t' make order with someone by th' end o' this year I do!

Now 1stMate Matt, what sort o' steel do ye use in yer blades?? I not be look'n for a wall hanger...

Ye not be the only one excited to be seein' pics of that hanger! B)

blank.jpg

"That as to hanging, it is no great hardship, for were it not for that, every cowardly fellow would turn pirate and so unfit the Seas,

that men of courage must starve."

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."

Fellow pirates, if there is any way to beg borrow or preferably steal enough to get one of Matts blades from Baltimore Knife, do it. They be worth every cent and shilling. I just bought one from the lad hisself, at Blackbeard Festival. Class one craftsmanship.

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

• 1 month later...

Thanks fer the update on the sword, Matt! Tried pm'n ya, but yer inbox be full. Cant wait to see it!

blank.jpg

"That as to hanging, it is no great hardship, for were it not for that, every cowardly fellow would turn pirate and so unfit the Seas,

that men of courage must starve."

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."

Thanks fer the update on the sword, Matt! Tried pm'n ya, but yer inbox be full. Cant wait to see it!

Sorry. I cant ever seem to keep that pm box empty :)

At any point feel free to email me. 1stmate@baltimoreknife.com

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I purchased one of these swords a while ago but it has a black skull and crossbones towards the end of the blade. Anyone know what I can do to remove it? Can't tell if it's just painted on or not but I would love to get rid of it to make the blade less comical and more period

• 2 years later...

Not to be a loose-footed mainsail... but the topmost sword listed in the thread is not the Windlass Steelcrafts version:

The product page for this sword is: http://www.kultofath...irate Saber.htm

Kult of Athena *does* have the Windlass Steelcrafts version, and still cheaper than most places I've found it, but their Windlass Steelcrafts version is:

KultOfAthena.com: Windlass Steel Hilt Pirate Cutlass, $179.95

500160.jpg

The product page for this sword is:

http://www.kultofath...ate Cutlass.htm

On a comparative note, I have purchased the $45 version, which isn't too bad with a little work with the proper tools.

SB5525.jpg

Generic Pirate Saber(Manufacturer not listed): $44.95

Blade: Stainless Steel, the blade itself isn't too bad for stainless.

However, this version has a rat-tail welded tang, using a 1/8th inch bolt for the tang, spot-welded to the blade approximately 1 inch down into the hilt from the guard.

Fittings: Cast zinc alloy

Handle Material: Plastic, not faux leather wrapped as listed

Scabbard: Pretty, what appears to be genuine leather sheath

500160.jpg

Windlass Steelcrafts Steel Hilt Pirate Cutlass: $179.95(Compare to the same exact Windlass Steelcrafts sword from Museum Replicas, who sells it for $235.00)

Blade: High-Carbon Steel, full tang

Fittings: All real Steel

Handle Material: Wood covered with genuine Leather

Scabbard: Genuine Leather with Steel throat and chape

All in all, if you can't afford alot on a sword, the $45 version is perfectly fine so long as you never try to hit/cut anything with it or drop it. The $180 version is a real weapon that can stand up to abuse.

SB5525.jpg500160.jpg

Left: $45 Right:$180

I have same like that see pic. I bought it from here. I love my sword.