Tall Ships

To directly address your question, you can beat the book 'Shanties from the Seven Seas' by Stan Hugill...We used to sing a half a dozen regularly when we carried trainees..I've basically ceased to do that, and my regular crew would rather listen to the Allman Brothers between ports!..So way, haul away, we'll haul away, Joe....

:lol:

To directly address your question, you can beat the book 'Shanties from the Seven Seas' by Stan Hugill...We used to sing a half a dozen regularly when we carried trainees..I've basically ceased to do that, and my regular crew would rather listen to the Allman Brothers between ports!..So way, haul away, we'll haul away, Joe....

:lol:

I'd have to side with your crew on that one. Shanties are fine for the tourists... but I'd have to throw anyone overboard who burst into South Australia at sea...

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

We use them on the Nykel when raising the masts. Helps hauling the lines easier. Most other things we simply use "2 6 heave". Since the Nykel is also a tourist/educational attraction it also pleases the passangers especially on a Pirate Sail.

That begs a question. . . .

Why '2, 6, Heave'?

Why not 1, 2, Heave?

And, how many shantys are actually 1700s correct?

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

we use chanties while woring on the boats and keeping time at the oars. somewhere there is a video of us onboard the nykel holy stoning to haul away joe. silkie, it was at harborfest last year. maybe you can unearth it.

of course there is a time for everything. unfortunately hefting a dead two ton engine into the back of a truck is not the time for an unnamed certain crew member to insist on "ok folks- do it correctly. its layhold- heave" could have throttled him.

mostly we do it for show though.

Shanties aren't a *whole* lot of good on most traditional ships sailing around these days. Most sail training vessels carry a large (for the period) crew on a ship that's not all that large, historically speaking.

The shanties are most useful for the larger vessels with small crews, as the loads per person are heavier and require greater coordination. Below a couple hundred tons (the vast majority of working sail vessels today), the hauls just aren't large and long enough to require an actual shanty.

That said, there are a couple exceptions. The largest hauls aboard a ship are the halyards and the anchor. Frequently, the anchor pull is too irregular to really lend itself to a shanty aboard the newer ships (and they don't anchor that much anyway). Halyards might lend themselves to singing, but again, they're frequently pretty short.

Busting a sail up onto a yard is a task in which some "shanties" might be used (and in fact, *are* used in the modern sail training fleet), but you'd be hard pressed to identify them as songs most of the time. Busting songs are very short, and usually involve some yelling (Dan Dan's an example, though not the atrocious version on the Rogues Gallery CD).

As for shanties being in period for the 18th century, they were just starting to come around at the end of the century, so far as I can tell. Again, before that, the ships just weren't large enough. One 18th century example is "Spanish Ladies," which, among other things is an example of a navigation song. The lines give sailing directions, a useful sort of rhyme when charts might not be available to every craft.

Dating songs is difficult, but many give Spanish Ladies a date somewhere in the 1780s. I've rarely seen any claims that a shanty is older than that, though there's a shortage of scholarship thereabout.

To sum it all up: shanties are a nineteenth century response to increased workloads aboard sailing vessels. The eighteenth century certainly would have had sea *songs*, but they probably weren't working shanties.

About 2-6 Heave: I'm unconvinced of its historical veracity. Many say that it's a naval gun crew command, but I've never seen any actual documentation supporting the statement that it's even as old as the eighteenth century. If anyone has any, I'd love to see it.

As for "why not 1,2, heave?"... absolutely no reason at all. There's no reason for 2-6 heave above 1-2-3, "pull-it-now", or anything else giving a rhythm.

Hope this was helpful.

I've yet to research the "2-6 heave" but I recall hearing that it is indeed something to do with gun crews. the 2 position would have to do something then the 6 then those tending the lines would heave her back into position. I'm not much for research but I will see what I can find.

Aye ...I forgot about raising the halyard but that too would require much if not all of the crew. I have heard that there have been times that the Nykel has sailed with as few as 4 but I do not know what trip they were taking. Shanties are alos used to haul in the anchors and as I mentioned before to raise the topmast (about 3 times a year).

As to finding that footage of you holy stoning ...I will see what I can do ...just keep reminding me ...I can be rather forgetful at times.

Finally, I find that people like to leave the singing to people with pleasing voices and unless there is a strong voice on board to lead the shanty it doesn't happen.

That begs a question. . . .

Why '2, 6, Heave'?

Why not 1, 2, Heave?

Here's one possibility, I just did a quick search...

2-6 Heave! comes from each member of the old cannon crews on sailing ships having a number, 2 and 6 being the ones whose assignment it was to haul the gun back into position. Thus, "2,6,Heave" became the universal order to heave on something in unison, since everybody knew what it meant...

Further info says that it's right...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/notesandqueries/...,-26509,00.html

Slainte!

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

ive got an e mail out to one of our jamestowne folks who is one of the musicians out there. he should be able to provide a few titles. don't expect to hear from him till monday or so though.

Yeah, I saw that Guardian thing.

I'm talking about real, honest, historical evidence. Primary sources.

There are plenty of "common knowledge" items that aren't so accurate...

As I said, I did a really quick 'net search...

I'd like to find/have good proper sources too...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

ok, for what its worth since he did not send documentation with it. haul on the bowline is early 18th c. and lowland seas is Drake period. sorry not more specific, but thats from a jamestown curator - admittedly without documentation - and would be more credible than most. he's going to go digging and see if he can find some more next week.

Thanks Dorian and Dutchman.

It does actually make sense if it came from gun crews, calling the number positions out and giving a command.

Cheers!

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.