The Sealkie’s Hide

At PiP, and eventually other events, I plan on having an ordinary. It will not be an actual business but a gathering place for all camps, place for a combined kitchen and one fire. We would coordinate all kitchen equipment, tables, cooks, food’s etc. With any luck I will be able to find some wenches to help serving thus helping the atmosphere. Many of the items can be brought by individuals from their kits such as trenchers or plates and flatware. Much of it would come from individuals who happen to have said equipment and are willing to share them with the entire encampmentsuch as a fire grate and fire bucket. When there are spectators we would keep the “patrons” from behind the bar and out of the kitchen. If there are no spectators all crew will be required to help with all work …unless we have volunteers to do all the cleaning!

There are many things that we will need and want. I will be editing this list as suggestions and corrections come in.

I would supply the canopy. The starting one would be 20 x 20 eventually I would like to invest in four 20 x 20 canvas tarps to be used as needed in whatever shape space allows but first …what my coin pouch allows.

Kitchen:

Kitchen linens

Cook grate

Fire bucket(s)

Coffee pot

Pot for hot water

Basins

Crocks

Serving:

Pitchers

Bowls

Plates

Flatware

Tankards

Mugs

Tumblers

Platters

baskets

Coffee dishes

Bar:

Bottles

Alcohol would be kept behind the “Bar” but would be provided by individuals with instructions as to if they are to be shared or are expressly for the individual

Common Room:

Tables (PiP this year we will simply use the picnic tables in the park. They are not PC but they will do for now)

Table linens (at least for the “better clientele”)

Lanterns

Games (have some …thank you William, Haunting Lilly & Gigi.)

Pipes

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mugs(no handles)

Why no handles when some had more than one?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

* see answer to Mission in the thread The Mercury Crew.... :P

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

No not mugs, Coffee at this time seems to be pretty much served in what was called a coffee dish, which looks like a bowl, not a mug.

I can send you some pictures via regular email... and a link to get some cheap for your ordinary.

Crewe of the Archangel

Based on our own pub last year and this coming year, I would recommend several bundles of small towels (Walmart has an 18 pack - we used 36 and dirtied them all), a couple large tubs to do the wash in as well. Double up on serving ware so you don't have to run to do the dishes after each meal. That was an absolute pain last year.

A big ice cooler (disguised) with lemonade or water is essential. We had ours in a barrel to keep it out of sight.

Most visitors will assume you're serving so you need obvious signs to let them know you're not. Even then you're going to be asked constantly if you're serving food or booze. Not a big problem, but it happened a lot last year, even with the signs.

Oh, and cutlery - not the flatware but good knives for cutting bread and meat.

I think that's it off the top of my head. Lessons learned in our own pub presentation that we plan on working on for this year.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

What is tea served in?

A smaller and less sloped sided version of the coffee dish... Jamestown had one of each, late 17th century...coffee dish, tea cup and wine cup.... the wine cup is about twice the size of a thimble... I will try and get you measurements over the summer

Crewe of the Archangel

Hurricane, Thank you so much! Good advice

Aye William, I can use funding for any and all. This year I am trying to keep it as simple as I can. Any and all serving ware is appreciated and likely needed. Everyone should mark their things so that there will be no confusion.

As to what we need the list is long See the list above. At this point we need everything listed. I'll adjust the list as I find out what we have.

• 1 month later...

I found this in Atkins' A Voyage to Guinea, Brasil and the West Indies. He is talking about his visit to Port Royal in 1722:

"Bitts of 7 d 1/2 [This is in reference to the prices, which are in units of Bitts.]

Dinner - 5

A Bottle of Small-Beer - x

A Bottle of Ale - 4

Coffee per Dish - 1

A Quart of Rum Punch - 4

Lodgings per Night - 8

Ordinaries are filled with a Mixture of Land and Seafaring People, who have three or four sorts of Cookery at Dinner, and each a Pint of Madeira, with a Desart of Guavas, and other insipid or ill-tasted Fruit. One of our Dishes is frequently Turtle, much esteemed in this part of the World, and are supplied to the Market here by Sloops, and sold at a Bitt a Pound, like other Flesh; now also increased to a tolerable Plenty, by the Planters having set apart Servants, Pens, and Pasture-Grounds, for rearing up all kinds of Domestick Animals, in which of late Years they have found their account; our Ships Companies being victualled here twice a Week with Fresh Beef, during a stay of 6 Months; and an Hospital on shore provided with lighter Food.

Bartering is the easiest way of Living on shore; or rather, no Man can live long without it: Madeira Wines, refined Sugars, Linnens, and Necessaries of almost all kinds, selling from 100 l. to 150 per Cent. Advance. Their Rum to you, 3 Bitts per Gallon; Sugars, from 4 to 7 Dollars a hundred, both superior to Barbados. Other Commodities are Ginger, Piemento, Cocoa, Indigo, Cotton, Tortoise-shell, Dyers Wood, Cedar, Mohogany and Machineel-woods, and allow 35 per Cent. Advance on Money." (Atkins, p. 243-4)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Ah such a shame, even Williamsburg has taken turtle off the menu...

Crewe of the Archangel

'course...me brother billie and i....right next to the ordinary.....we were a thinkin 'bout opennin a....well a.....house of .....wellll......since in them days women had a tendency to be a little scarce...we are goinna open the .....

the SHEEPS HIDE.......presently we lookin to hire young cabin boys...who cant run very fast

:unsure:

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

Ah such a shame, even Williamsburg has taken turtle off the menu...

A trip to Cayman's Pirate's Week is in order then! They still serve turtle fresh and delicious - my favorite is the stuffed that is cooked in lye that the little old ladies make at the festivals - the way they did it before the 1970s when they got power on the island.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

* see answer to Mission in the thread  The Mercury Crew....  :unsure:

I do note that Atkins says coffee is indeed served "per Dish", with a nod to the Captain on his comments in said discussion. Your point, sir.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

• 2 months later...

Willie Wobble has kindly offered a water jug to keep drinking water in for the ordinary. I do not recall the size but if we can have more than one maybe we can have a "barrel" full of Gatoraid and one with ice water.

He has also managed to find/acquire two work tables made of Iron rods & wood.

Things are shaping up!

• 2 weeks later...

We now have 11 pewter goblets for the ordinary. (Thanks Callenish)

I have a few serving trays & dishes, they are aluminum but if we serve cold things on/in them and manage to keep the food from the dish they will do fine.

We need pitchers

Does anyone have a large ice chest that we can use?

What about a large insulated "jug" (gator aid like) for liquids?

I am counting on the cooks amoung us to bring things like brasiers, coffee pots, fire grates, pokers etc ...if you can supply me with a listing of what you plan on bringing maybe we can avoid duplication of equipment ...after all it is a long trip for many of us.

Finally! Ordered the awning for my ordinary! Smaller than I was thinking (16'10 L x 19'9" W Flat) Yippie! Now we have shade and shelter from the rain.

Next big purchase ...trestle tables! lol

Edited by Silkie McDonough

I have a wooden trash receptical with a hinged lid. It's not entirely accurate, but the hinges are a black hammered iron type and would work to hide more modern plastic bags, etc.

I will try to think if I have anything else that could be used....