Paynestown

LadyBarbossa

Yes, there are modern campsites for tents and full-hookup RV sites. They do fill up fast though, so if you want one, you'd do well to reserve it now... The site is Paynetown State Recreation Area. The number to call for modern camping and RV sites is 1-866-6CAMP-IN. You can also access Indiana Department of Natural Resources camping reservations online at: DNR Camping Reservations

Thank you very much! I appreciate the info! I may act upon it... but...

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blackjohn, it would be a blast to meet you in person - you should come to the event.

Thanks, and likewise!

As I was saying, I may act upon it, but not this year. Son#1 celebrates his birthday that weekend, and we have made camping plans. But... I'm filing it away for next year, because this event does look like a ton o' fun!

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Blackjohn,

I would be honored to have you in attendance next year. I hope you can make it. I think you'll enjoy it. I'd recommend putting in your reservation for next year as soon as you possibly can... Many folks who come out for this event (reenactors and public alike) reserve modern campsites in advance each year while they're here...

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

Militia Captain, Merchant Sailor, Tailor, Brewer, Gunrunner and Occassional Pirate...

www.piratesofpaynetown.org

www.taylor-rosehistorical.com

www.ladywashington.org

well---

do we need/want a general eating place people can come and grab a snack hot off the fire pit from?--------------can i volunteer for that? i swear i can cook good over an open fire!!

so far my to bring list says:

1. get answers to above questions....

1a. monster cookies

2. husband

3. 7 out of nine children {{the 5,7,9,11,13,17,21 year olds}}

The dates are August 8th, 9th, and 10th.

typo ???

No, not a typo, just last year's dates posted on a thread that has been going on for a year now. This year's dates are August 7th, 8th, and 9th, 2009.

well---

do we need/want a general eating place people can come and grab a snack hot off the fire pit from?--------------can i volunteer for that? i swear i can cook good over an open fire!!

so far my to bring list says:

1. get answers to above questions....

1a. monster cookies

2. husband

3. 7 out of nine children {{the 5,7,9,11,13,17,21 year olds}}

There are picnic tables strewn around the area and of course, you may snag one of those if you need to. Also, depending on the heat level this year, cold snacks might be more appealing to your crew. Lastly, please remember to register...

Thanks!

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

Militia Captain, Merchant Sailor, Tailor, Brewer, Gunrunner and Occassional Pirate...

www.ladywashington.org

I've now registered and will be borrowing Mickey and Kate's old tent, as offered.

Who should I expect to see there?

How hot will it probably be?

-I'm not used to Indiana weather. I live the hot and humid Carolinas, so I'm used to that. What should I likely expect for an Indiana summer?

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

I've now registered and will be borrowing Mickey and Kate's old tent, as offered.

Who should I expect to see there?

How hot will it probably be?

-I'm not used to Indiana weather. I live the hot and humid Carolinas, so I'm used to that. What should I likely expect for an Indiana summer?

The last couple of years have been hot and humid. The camp has lots of shade and a breeze comes off of the lake so it isn't too bad.

Mark

Mark,

Last year wasn't so bad... Remember? Jen sold her soul... :)

I'm hoping that the current weather pattern holds... As I am typing this (at 7:40 AM on July 19th) it is 57 degrees... For the record, that is unheard of in Indiana...

Hopefully it will be lovely, but it is August in Southern Indiana, which is not usually pleasant... But there are trees for shade, a lake for dipping in, and a good steady breeze just about all day.

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

www.ladywashington.org

If it's hot out... we can handle it!

If it's cooler and overcast... less bugs and such??

Either way... we'll have things set up!!

Nathan... I'm resending my registration... monday morn!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

Is Indiana weather like Ohio?

Cause the other day it was 90....the next day it barely made 70....and then it rained.

[/quote

They get the same weather we get in Columbus - they just get it earlier.

Mark

i drove 8 or so hours from st. louis to columbus... and this was even after working part of the day... AND the whole weekend was well worth it !!

just wish someone told me about that whole time change thing rolleyes.gif , kinda got me off kilter a bit..

Hello there! Paynetown is a great event! Great places to camp under the trees, very nice people all the

way around, and hot and cold running water/showers to boot!!!

I'm coming, for SURE now!

Bracketing the weekend will be blackpowder weapons training at Charles Towne Landing (in Charleston, SC). On the first, it is firearms, while on the 15th, it is cannon. I'm QUITE excited!

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

Mark,

Last year wasn't so bad... Remember? Jen sold her soul... :)

I'm hoping that the current weather pattern holds... As I am typing this (at 7:40 AM on July 19th) it is 57 degrees... For the record, that is unheard of in Indiana...

Hopefully it will be lovely, but it is August in Southern Indiana, which is not usually pleasant... But there are trees for shade, a lake for dipping in, and a good steady breeze just about all day.

Last year got pretty warm sitting in a boat, waiting for the raid to start, but it was cooler than normal. This year looks even cooler. I was just at the Dayton Celtic Festival. Usually it is outright hot but this year was pleasant. Columbus is on track for the coolest July on record. If this pattern holds for another two weeks we will have great weather.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Just packing up and getting ready for a detour in Ohio...Then to Paynetown for the weekend!!!

Have tankard...will travel!!!

Can't wait to see you folks again and meet those I haven't!!

Drive careful and take care!

Rats

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

oh yah--

this was quite the event---

i counted at least 35 tents...150 participating pirates, and every tent/ demo was looked thru and asked questions..... the encampment was THE place to be!!!

during the battles, the entire beach crowd stopped and watched!! then had to come see what it was all about!!

it feels like i met half the people on the pub!!!

and i told a few about it too....

after hours, just about everyone hung out at the pub!!!

Nate--- darling you did awesome!! for sure we will be there next year!! [and thanks for the best camp spot ever!! by the bar!-uh--i mean the pub]

cant rave enough how much fun it was!!

lady constance

oh yah--

i counted at least 35 tents...150 participating pirates, and every tent/ demo was looked thru and asked questions..... the encampment was THE place to be!!!

during the battles, the entire beach crowd stopped and watched!! then had to come see what it was all about!!

Nate--- darling you did awesome!! for sure we will be there next year!! [and thanks for the best camp spot ever!! by the bar!-uh--i mean the pub]

lady constance

Don't forget the nice fleet of boats and the pot-luck.

Mark

No, they didn't call it a pot luck...what was it that they did call it? It was some sort of warped Indiana-speak.

A very nice event - I learned a lot. I wish I would have taken some notes on what happened so I could make a web page of it. (It seems to take me a day to get acclimated and start seeing what's quirky and interesting to report about an event.)

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

oh yah--

lady constance