Historically Accurate Undergarments

Matty Bottles

I decided, after long deliberation, to post this question in Captain Twill, instead of Plunder, for two reasons: I am not interested in buying, but making, and I am looking for a fair degree of historical accuracy.

My question: What did sailors commonly wear under their work clothes when it gets cold? I wondered after reading people lament not lining their coats with a thicker material, and I figured their must be an undergarment one can wear to fight the cold.

But what type of fabric? Wool does not work very well against my bare skin. I think I developed an allergy after several years of kilt-wearing. I'm hoping maybe a type of softer flannel? I'm not sure.

:ph34r:

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Try a cotton duct material. It's a bit thicker, a little stiffer, and is machine washable.

One of the more creative pants I've made was for Louie Lambe. He gave me a couple of laundry type bags, and I turned them into sailor pants for him. He loves them!

Rumba Rue

**Partridge in a pear tree? Where? Ooooh, dinner!** :ph34r:

Hmmmm. Cotton might work well for undergarments, but for insulating undergarments, cotton is a notoriously poor insulator when wet. I could probably line wool with cotton, though. That would work. Now, what shape would it be? Maybe a onepiece, union suit type?

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

well Mate as far as historical accuracy goes...

they more'n likely used their shirt tails like

most common and middling sorts, more than likely

the gentry are the ones who had and wore any type

of under garment, which by the way looked like a pair

of thin linen or cotten breeches with drawstring ties

at the knees and maybe at the waist also (??)

Tryin' ta remember what they look like off the top of my head.

(Jefferson has one or two pair attributed to him at

Monticello I believe) The open useage of these garments

are open for debate, as far as common folk are concerned...

which a sailor would surely fall into. If the thought of slippin'

yer shirttail 'tween yer legs is somewhat troublesome,

then ya may want ta look inta some light wool flannel,

or use some wool breeches. Try finding a finer quality of

wool, or use cotton drawers (under garments) then wool breeches,

then a nice pair of linen slops over the tops of that....

now ya be a proper sailor!

Cheers Mate

Redhand

:ph34r:

Excellent! That ought to serve my purpose nicely. Besides, just because there's no documented evidence of a commoner's garment doesn't mean such a garment NEVER existed. The finery has survived, for the most part. Besides, it isn't neccessarily out of character to be an inventive sailor, and find my own way to beat the chills.

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Think cotton draw string pajamas. Now cut them of about 2 inches above the knee. VIOLA!

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg