CALLING ALL PIRATE POETS (and artists!)

Blackbead

Ahoy, mates!

We're up to 40 pages! I recently spoke with a photographer at the Lawton Renaissance Festival who is interested in placing some photos for our consideration. I want to reiterate, we will all agree on the content of the final book before it goes out for print. If anyone doesn't like the final cut then we vote and the majority rules. If anyone objects to photgraphs as an art form it might be best for you to speak up now, however. So, just let me know by email. If you are silent, I'm going ahead with the book as is. This is truly going somewhere, me hearties!

Blackbead

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

Mates:

We're up to 42 pages and going strong!

And here's the lastest piece; it's a humorous poem written by Captain Jasper and I about the pirates and Renaissance Festivals. It was originally done for a pirate comedy group that appears at Renfaires. I think it might be a good way to end the book or something we could do as an insert. But I'm inviting everyone to do a couple of stanzas and then we'll get this out to the world and folks can add to this and someday pirate groups all over the world can be chanting these stanzas, along with ones that they've written, to celebrate the modern life of a pirate! On the other hand, if this is not something that the group doesn't want to include, I can live with that. Read it and we'll discuss:

A Pirate’s Life for Me

Gather around me tars and gobs,

We’ll talk of faires from sea to sea,

You can sell wieners and you can sell nuts,

But it’s a pirate’s life for me!

When you go the fair, everyone’s there,

From knights to foot infantry.

There are fairies and imps and nobles and rogues,

But it’s a pirate’s life for me!

Some people go and cheer the joust,

Others the winches to see,

But I’d rather swagger from tavern to pub,

It’s a pirate’s life for me!

Sweat out yer day in yer hoops and skirts,

Prance around in yer noble finery,

But give me a tricorn’, boots and slops,

I have no problem with you wearing a sword,

Unless it’s bigger than thee,

But give me a cutlass and me old leather belt,

Nobles and lords have a standard to keep,

And must drink in their own company,

But a pirate can drink with the high and the low:

It’s a pirate life for me!

Don’t get us wrong; this is only a song,

And we don’t mean to offend thee.

But just like we told you, a thousand times over,

Blackbead and Captain Jane Jasper ©2008

• 2 weeks later...

A quick question for those of you submitting poetry - I have done several poetry readings in the past couple of months and have been using only my works. Would you mind if I used one of your poems in the poetry readings? These are primarily used as ways to market the pirate poetry book and so it would be for a good cause (yours!) Let me know, I will probably be doing one down in Beaumont, Texas this weekend and would love to add one of your works!

Blackbead

Ahoy there, me hearties!

The pirate poetry book is currently at 48 pages!! I spoke with several more folks who have expressed an interest in submitting material and I think we should shoot for 100 pages by the end of the summer. I’m still hoping to get more artwork – we are currently sporting only seven pages of art (six digitally manipulated photographs and a Public Domain piece that I played with to use as an illustration for one of my poems.) I’ve been putting together a cover and have come up with two separate ideas. Would anyone have any heartburn with me using my Renspace page as a way of putting this out there? It would make it real easy for everyone if no one has any problems accessing that page. I’m going to put the pictures of the proposed covers up in the next few days and will put out a link to the page. Talk to ye all soon!

Blackbead

• 5 weeks later...

64 pages and counting! There be another from Rumba and one entitled "God Take the King!" from me. Soon, me hearties, soon we set sail!

• 4 weeks later...

Ahoy, mates!

We currently stand at 98 pages with probably one more piece of artwork and one more poem to be submitted. That will definitely put us over the 100 page goal that we set so long ago! I applaud everyone, including our two newest poets, Shana Martin and “Captain Tito.” The deadline is still two weeks away; there is still time to get in poems or artwork if you wish. But the turning of the tide draws nigh. Soon we will be away on this great adventure!

Putting on the last touches of paint,

Blackbead

• 1 month later...