The Mercury Crew

William Brand

PIP 2007 has come and gone, and with great success. Not only did the festival itself and the encampments come off without any significant hitches, apart from some five dozen unpleasantly worn feet, the Mercury crew has already evolved. We've gone from a small gathering of many strangers and a handful of old friends, to a serious group of re-enactors bent on portraying various positions aboard ship and demonstrating historical aspects of the period.

Take Mark for example. He shows up at the beginning of the event with a cautious enthusiasm for all things pirate and in less then a few months he's a died in the wool period surgeon. The man is an 18th century surgeon.

Now members of the crew are starting to pair off into themes and interests dear to each of them and several members of the crew have expressed interest in playing specific parts. For example, michaelsbagley has expressed a desire to work in the Blacksmith shop and perhaps serve as a ship or town blacksmith. Patrick is a perfect Able Seaman. Iron John is considering being a sparmaker or Carpenter's Mate. Jim Warren, who I believe would make a wonderful Ship's Captain, would also make a good carpenter, given his experience as a woodworker. Keith is also a wood turner, so we have our good share of carpenters. Eisley is considering the role of a spice merchant.

With so many specialized roles, I thought it might be time we began a thread about the Mercury crew itself in preparation for this year's PIP. This is the place to make suggestions about materials, kit, information, books, roles, etc. Let's get some feedback going about what we can do to help each member of the crew find their place for PIP.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cast me vote for Captain Jim! The ideal man for the job. (Oh, wait, I haven't signed the articles. I guess it's up to you all. Let me clue you in - he probably won't willingly take the role, but according to the articles and general accept pirate policy (GAPP), the captain is he who is elected by the crew (quick someone make up some articles that say this) .

(William, you forgot to mention your role on this happy ship of fooles. Such modesty.)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Since most of you (except the trader and possibly the Quartermaster) wouldn't have been very good at writing, I, your fair, decent and beloved ship's Chirurgeon propose these

Mercury Articles

1. Every Member of the Crewe has a Vote in Affairs of Moment; has equal title to the fresh Provisions, or strong Liquors, at any time seized, and use of them at pleasure, unless a scarcity make it necessary, for the good of all, to vote a retrenchment.

2. Every One to be called fairly in turn, by list, on Board of Prizes, because, they are on these Occasions allowed a Shift of Cloaths: If any Member of the Crewe keep any Secret from the Company, defraud the Company to the Value of a Dollar, in Plate, Jewels, or Money, they shall be marroon'd with one Bottle of Powder, one Bottle of Water, one small Arm, and Shot.

3. The Lights and Candles to be put out at ten o'Clock at Night: If any of the Crew, after that Hour, still are inclin'd for Drinking, they are to do it on the open Deck. Or picnic table, as the Case may be.

4. All hands to keep their Piece, Pistols, and Cutlass clean, and fit for Service. Those that shall not keep their Arms clean, fit for an Engagement, or neglect their Business, shall be cut off from their Share, and suffer such other Punishment as the Captain and the Company shall think fit.

5. Those that shall snap his Arms, or smoak Tobacco in the Hold, without a cap to their Pipe, or carry a Candle lighted without a Lanthorn, shall suffer the same Punishment as in the former Article.

6. To Desert the Ship, or Quarters in Battle, unless there is Cracked Conch in Towne, is punishable by Death, or Marooning or Some Worse Fate if the Crewe cans’t come up with one.

7. No striking another Person on Board, but every Quarrel to be ended on Shore, in the Pub, during a Brawl, at half past two bells on the Afternoon Watch. Not that we be picky.

8. No One to talk of breaking up their Way of Living, till each has shared a £1000 of it be Monday morning, latish. If in order to this, any Member of the Crewe should lose a Limb, or become a Cripple in their Service, they are to have 800 Dollars, out of the publick Stock, and for lesser Hurts, proportionably.

9. The Captain and Quarter-Master to receive two Shares of a Prize; the Master, Boatswain, and Gunner, one Share and a half, the other Officers, one and a Quarter, and the chirurgeon five Shares. No, let Us make it eight.

10. If at any time you meet with a prudent Woman, them that offers to meddle with her, without her Consent, shall suffer present Death.

11. The Chirurgeon shall be considered a minor Deity on Board, answerable to None but Himself and the Major Deity.

(With apologies to the chirurgeon who probably wrote John Phillips' and Bartholemew Robert's articles.)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

I second the vote for Mr. Wake as captain...

If we are to have a captain, I would more happily line up behind someone I know (albeit only digitally) than someone I have only heard of in the first post on this thread.

Actually, my vote is for Captain Jim. Mr. Wake should be the captain as he designed the ship, made the T-Shirts, organized and scouted the Mercury camp, woke everyone up in the morning (or, actually, didn't wake everyone up in the morning when he could have), arranged all Mercury activities and washed our socks in the bonny, sunny, surf, but what of that? Captain Jim has an Oar House! (Honest, you can see it in my memoirs of the event here. In fact, William seems more content to be the power behind the throne. We tried to make him captain several times last year. Hmm....both are likely to resist the honor... Hmm...I suspect Captain Jim will squirm more, so I maintain my vote. :rolleyes:

This is all irrelevant, however. I really have no vote in the affairs of the ship. I didn't have to sign the articles.

Is it my imagination or are the articles a bit Chirurgeon heavy?

But seriously, I can't be Captain as I have already been voted in as Quartermaster, don't you see? The vote has been cast, so the position of Captain is open to another crew member and Jim has a nobler brow, plain and simple.

Is it my imagination or are the articles a bit Chirurgeon heavy?

Really?! I hadn't noticed that... :rolleyes: Well, they are subject to the agreement of the crew.

But seriously, I can't be Captain as I have already been voted in as Quartermaster, don't you see? 

Say...I don't recall that vote. Besides which, the crew is shown as voting a Lieutenant Captain in one or another of those Johnson bios and then someone else was made the new Lieutenant...

I can't remember which of the books I read it in, but one or the other of them was making the point that the Captain really wasn't all that powerful, except during times of battle when he had complete control of the ship and its crew. He could be voted out as quickly as he could be voted in. When not in battle, I believe it was the Quartermaster who was in charge according to that account.

This may be wrong, however. On the other pirate forum where I used to post, Ed Foxe had this to say, which all and sundry may find interesting:

Countless websites and books state quite clearly that the quartermaster was the second in command of pirate ships, answerable only to the captain. We have seen that there were a number of officers who ranked between the captain and quartermaster in terms of command, and this false idea seems to come principally from information in Johnson's General History about the quartermaster of Roberts' crew.

" For the Punishment of small Offences, which are not provided for by the Articles, and which are not of Consequence enough to be left to a Jury, there is a principal Officer among the Pyrates, called the Quarter-Master, of the Mens own chusing, who claims all Authority this Way, (excepting in Time of Battle.) If they disobey his Command, are quarrelsome and mutinous with one another, misuse Prisoners, plunder beyond his Order, and in particular, if they be negligent of their Arms, which he musters at Discretion, he punishes at his own Arbitrement, with drubbing or whipping, which no one else dare do without incurring the Lash from all the Ships Company: In short, this Officer is Trustee for the whole, is the first on Board any Prize, separating for the Company's Use, what he pleases, and returning what he thinks fit to the Owners, excepting Gold and Silver, which they have voted not returnable."

In this paragraph, and in Roberts' articles (in which the quartermaster receives the same share of spoils as the captain) it is shown that the quartermaster of a pirate ship held more importance than a quartermaster of any other ship, wherein he was a low ranking petty officer - well below the boatswain, gunner, mates and carpenter. However, most of the evidence for the quartermasters of pirate ships being more important than other officers comes from the descriptions of Roberts' crew, and I believe that Roberts' crew was exceptional in this respect - possibly because of the sheer number of men serving under him.

Still, we could be like Robert's ship...just a thot. If not, Ed also says, in the same post that:

Lieutenant:

It is often stated that the ship's quartermaster was the second in command. I will address the question of quartermaster later. On larger pirate ships the second in command was the lieutenant. Johnson tells us that Avery, Roberts, Gow and Lowther all had lieutenants (Roberts' lieutenant, Kennedy, and Lowther's lieutenant, Low later became captains in their own right). Lieutenants are also mentioned in proclamations of 1717 and 1718.

Warships of the Royal Navy had a varying number of lieutenants depending on the size of vessel, from 3 in a first or second rate ship in 1686 to 1 in a sixth rate. It seems very unlikely that any pirate vessel was large enough to warrant more than one lieutenant, but in Johnson's story of Captain Mission mention is made of second and third lieutenants. Although the story of Mission is fictional Johnson intended it to be believed by his readers, and wrote it as if it were fact, so we cannot dismiss the background it provides entirely. However, I've not been able to find any record of an actual pirate ship with more than one lieutenant.

The duties of the lieutenant were more or less to act as the captain's deputy. He commanded in the captain's absence, often took command of prizes, and during battle should have positioned himself in the forecastle while the captain was on the quarter- or poop-deck.

(Ed knows more about this than me, so I'm quoting him. It's from this post: http://www.piratesinfo.com/mysql/phorum/re...987#msg-147987)

the wife and i have decided to venture down to key west to enjoy the festivities.

we are going to join the mercury encampment in what ever capacity we can. with the size of our family--- 10 children -- and not all will be going--we are a little limited with help, but we will do what we can :)

hopefully by then, all kids will have a kit of some sorts, a tent will be done, my new coat and breeches will be done, wife's kit will be done, etc. etc.

so let us know how we can be of some service :rolleyes:

maybe we could supply the powder monkeys :rolleyes:

And maybe you should.

Apart from raising our numbers, is there a part which interests you above any other? Able seaman should not to be discounted, it being the most important and widespread role aboard ship, but you could also focus on a trade. Perhaps you studied as an apprentice prior to putting to sea. There are soooo many choices.

Michael indicated to me that he already told you, William, but I will be making period paper. Likely not in as huge of sheets that they did in the period, but more like normal sized for the purpose of being able to transport the equiptment (I am coming by plane, after all) and having the ability to manipulate the materials on my own.

Period paper too....though I will likely bring the materials to make a simpler wood pulp based paper also because it just is simple to transport and not as costly to make.

If I figure it out and get further into it....maybe a period ink also. :)

Banner.jpg

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Hmmm...I am a bit of a blacksmith, but I will leave that part to Michael, as I am actually more trained at leatherwork. In period, I would have been a cordwainer, and indeed, that is in keeping with the story of my persona. Is there a cordwainer needed aboard the Mercury? :(

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

Note that a blacksmith would be in town, not on a ship. A carpenter on the other hand...they were responsible for everything below the deck on the ship. There is also always a need for sailmakers (who also repaired sails). I understand that was an pretty much an on-going requirement when not in battle. The boatswain oversaw everything to do above the deck including the ship's cables, anchors, sails, colours and the stationing of the watch. (Another good role for someone with mechanical skills and interests.) (Say, are we getting a bell? I'll front $25 toward its purchase...) A ship also needs a gunner to oversee the gun crews (and powder monkeys), who is also in charge of the cannon. If you know nothing about cannon, don't worry - the guns crews at PiP will be more than happy to answer questions and teach you how to fire cannon. (Even your ship's surgeon learned last year.) Pretty much everyone would be responsible for taking part in manning the cannon or fighting during battle except the captain, who would be overseeing the fight and the surgeon, who would be dealing with the wounded - plus anyone who might be assigned to help the surgeon by bringing the wounded below decks to the cockpit. If you want a complete description of various officers, check out Ed Foxe's excellent write-up that I linked to before. (For convenience: http://www.piratesinfo.com/mysql/phorum/re...987#msg-147987)

Of course duties on a pirate ship might be somewhat more lax than on a naval ship, but records indicated that all of these officers existed on various pirate ships that we know about. Keep in mind that many pirates came from naval ships and merchant ships. And many merchant ships hired naval personnel. (In fact, naval personnel were usually itching to get out of the navy, which had crowded ships, awful food, strict discipline and poor pay. Plus the pay was often long overdue in the navy due to financial problems of the crown and struggles associated with the development of the commonwealth during this period.) Many British pirates came from the navy and would probably be comfortable with following naval custom. In fact, they seemed to prefer custom to progress. By way of example:

"Nathaniel Boteler a century [1600s] earlier: he himself strongly approved of a diet of ‘husked de-hominie or loblolly as they term it, the which they make of the West Indian corn called maize’; Boteler knew that this loblolly of ground maize boiled in milk and water maintained the population of the West Indies and Bermuda in good health. But he was too familiar the ways of seamen to advise its use in the navy; he recognized that ‘seamen are so besotted in their beef and pork that they had rather adventure on all the calentures and scurvies in the world than to be weaned of their customary diet." (John Keevil, Medicine and the Navy 1200-1900: Volume II – 1640-1714, p. 277)

So they were a pretty hidebound lot, who probably (by extension) stuck to naval custom, even when the 'freedom' of piracy was embraced.

:(

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Is there a cordwainer needed aboard the Mercury?

Aye. Call it what you will, shoes will always need fixin'.

And yes, on the subject of blacksmith I never meant to imply that the Mercury has a forge aboard or the means to smelt or work metal, but men who go to sea bring their trades with them whether they use them day to day or not. A tinsmith might be employed more often, but Michael has the know how and the fort has a forge. Nothing says re-enactment like the ringing of an anvil.

i can volunteer to be sailing master. i have experience sailing lakes, not the sea..

i have a few books on period ships that i can use as a refresher to update my knowledge and terminology so as to make a more believable character.

lemme know what you guys think..

also my wife being an r.n. could serve as cook or surgeon's assistant.

There you go, Count, though I should warn your wife that it is hard to keep a straight face around Mission when he gets going. His matter of fact method for explaining horrible period cures always makes me crack up.

TWO MORE YEARS... :rolleyes: Damn it all! I hope to know something about sailing by then though. I have rigged my White Trash sailboat and am not taking classes over this summer so as to enjoy life a bit before transferring to the university next fall. Simple seaman/hunter/whatever-you-need will do for me if there is room for my sorry butt by then. I finally got my strength and grip back, so the White Trash Forge will be operating as soon as semster ends.

Bo

i can volunteer to be sailing master. i have experience sailing lakes, not the sea..

i have a few books on period ships that i can use as a refresher to update my knowledge and terminology so as to make a more believable character.

lemme know what you guys think..

also my wife being an r.n. could serve as cook or surgeon's assistant.

There you go, Count, though I should warn your wife that it is hard to keep a straight face around Mission when he gets going. His matter of fact method for explaining horrible period cures always makes me crack up.

Depending on who's book of surgery we use, we need between 1 and 7 people to do a proper amputation, so mates are always needed. (One person does the amputation and the rest to hold the vict- patient down.)

Shall I describe the mercury cure for syphalis? It's enough to put some people off their food for a day. Amputation is better, but only if you can get them to realllllly empathize. Good quality descriptions are what's needed... Imagine the first bite of the slightly salt-water rusted steel blade into your newly exposed femur (upper leg bone) as you chew on a tooth-marked wooden stick. It only hurts for a few minutes and then we can cauterize the remaining skin.

It should probably be noted that assuming a role of one character doesn't necessarily preclude assuming the role of another or none at all. I went from being a pirate surgeon to being a militia cannoneer. Half the time, I wasn't potraying anything, I was just walking around marveling at the skills of my fellow re-enactors.