Steam Punk.....

Patrick Hand

I'm not sure if the batterys in my camera are just too cold to work or if I have to buy some more.....

Anyway.... Those are similar to what I used to make my goggles.... I glued leather to the eye cups, and with my handy Dremel, cut down the lens holding ring (so they weren't so thick) I might take off the ridges around the edges, and then re-imitation gold leaf them....

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just begun collecting pieces for my "Alice the Undertaker" costume. Ordered a cheap but functional black corset from eBay, and fell in love with this coat from the ladies' store at Gentleman's Emporium. I'm trying to track down a pattern that's similar so I can make my own. That one's not too terribly pricey for a wool coat with that kind of detail, but I'm thinking with as many layers as I'll have something cooler than wool might be good. I'm going to base the character roughly on the description given for the Undertaker class from Unhallowed Metropolis, though I want to steer away from the Van Helsing overtones a bit. So far I've got a whole word document filled with my wish list, and another filled with a project list. I love this stuff! ;)

Oh, how beautiful it used to be

Just you and me, far beyond the sea

-Nightwish

Alice Mason, Crewe of the Archangel

Hmmmm, a Mourner sounds quite interesting. Yes, very interesting indeed. :unsure:

Oh, and LOVE the coat. I also saw lots of other wonderful garb on the site, and didn't think the prices too high for what your were getting.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Hmmmm, a Mourner sounds quite interesting. Yes, very interesting indeed. :unsure:

Oh, and LOVE the coat. I also saw lots of other wonderful garb on the site, and didn't think the prices too high for what your were getting.

I thought their stuff was great, and reasonable too. There are a lot of fun accessories there. And yes, the Mourners caught my eye too! Definitely some fun avenues to explore for us creepitty types. ;)

-Nightwish

Wow! That's PERFECT!

Years ago I was actually goign to put together a preacher/gunslinger personna for CAS. Unfortunately no one was making such a thing. That jacket is very sharp! I'd even like to see other colors!! maybe a red would be a sharp version!! It could show that Chinese influence!!

Not familiar with Unhallowed Metro... Sounds sharp! Maybe we should work such ideas into an event!

I've just begun collecting pieces for my "Alice the Undertaker" costume. Ordered a cheap but functional black corset from eBay, and fell in love with this coat from the ladies' store at Gentleman's Emporium. I'm trying to track down a pattern that's similar so I can make my own. That one's not too terribly pricey for a wool coat with that kind of detail, but I'm thinking with as many layers as I'll have something cooler than wool might be good. I'm going to base the character roughly on the description given for the Undertaker class from Unhallowed Metropolis, though I want to steer away from the Van Helsing overtones a bit. So far I've got a whole word document filled with my wish list, and another filled with a project list. I love this stuff! :unsure:

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

I have always loved WW merc. I actually got my 1st shirt, vest and gun leather from them, some ten or twelve years back. Very good choices!!

sig2.jpg

I've just begun collecting pieces for my "Alice the Undertaker" costume. Ordered a cheap but functional black corset from eBay, and fell in love with this coat from the ladies' store at Gentleman's Emporium. I'm trying to track down a pattern that's similar so I can make my own. That one's not too terribly pricey for a wool coat with that kind of detail, but I'm thinking with as many layers as I'll have something cooler than wool might be good. I'm going to base the character roughly on the description given for the Undertaker class from Unhallowed Metropolis, though I want to steer away from the Van Helsing overtones a bit. So far I've got a whole word document filled with my wish list, and another filled with a project list. I love this stuff! :rolleyes:

There is a leather craftsman who attended the St. Pete Pirate Festival and who is at BARF who makes almost the exact masks in the Unhallowed Metropolis pictures if your looking for them Brig.

Mickey Flint

First Mate o' the Harbinger

Me Website...

l_86c90f45206f4ce9bad5d7f52fdc1fc6.jpg

These pants and these are part of my gear. This company also does great frock coats and dusters as well. Jack and I have been getting into Western reenacting and that has sort of shoehorned its way into Steampunk, particularly since we love building things.

Those would be great for any FireFly type reenactments as well!

Mickey Flint

First Mate o' the Harbinger

Me Website...

l_86c90f45206f4ce9bad5d7f52fdc1fc6.jpg

Thank you for the tip!! I'm sure I'll attend BARF at least once this year, I'll look for him. :rolleyes:

There is a leather craftsman who attended the St. Pete Pirate Festival and who is at BARF who makes almost the exact masks in the Unhallowed Metropolis pictures if your looking for them Brig.

-Nightwish

Not familiar with Unhallowed Metro...

Neither am I... but looking at the publisher's site... those are the guys who did Delta Green! Probably one of the most brilliant Cthulhu knock-offs to ever see print! Think Cthulhu meets X-files, and then make it better. That's all I'll say, because I wouldn't want to leak any spoilers.

EDIT: It looks like they just did the d20 version of Delta Green. However, I stand by my original assertion that Delta Green is probably one of the most fascinating derivations of the Cthulhu mythos to ever see print.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

These pants and these are part of my gear. This company also does great frock coats and dusters as well. Jack and I have been getting into Western reenacting and that has sort of shoehorned its way into Steampunk, particularly since we love building things.

Both pants look pretty kewl, Jill, but the first pair are dry clean only! Yikes. Robert is looking for a fairly inexpensive light duster as part of his Steamy garb, (He's kinda leaning toward the Safari look of Sean Connery in LoEG) so I'll be sure to point out that site.

And Rats, yeah it would be great to meet up at an event all dressed in our Steamy duds, but might be hard, considering half of us live on the west coast and the other half on the east coast. :D

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

yeah it would be great to meet up at an event all dressed in our Steamy duds,

Yeah, it would be really cool....

But all I gots ter say bout that......

BURNING MAN.....

Yeah... about $280 for the tickets, and then you gots to get there... and then you have to bring alla yer food and water, and everything.... hot dusty... PiP is really cool... Burning Man is cool also, but a different weird sorta cool.....

Sure it ain't easy to do.... but what that is worth doing ever is?

Agreed!! I'm working on fixin all of that!!

Actually I'm in the midwest, Wisconsin area...

yeah it would be great to meet up at an event all dressed in our Steamy duds,

Yeah, it would be really cool....

But all I gots ter say bout that......

BURNING MAN.....

Yeah... about $280 for the tickets, and then you gots to get there... and then you have to bring alla yer food and water, and everything.... hot dusty... PiP is really cool... Burning Man is cool also, but a different weird sorta cool.....

Sure it ain't easy to do.... but what that is worth doing ever is?

sig2.jpg

My only problem, besides the obvious ones, with Burning Man, is that it is so close to Ojai weekend. Chain Shot and I just have such a blast at Ojai, I really wouldn't want to have to choose between one event and the other. The expense of going to two events would be a big issue as well, so we wouldn't be able to afford both.

Hmmm, might have to do some serious logistical thinking.....

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I've just begun collecting pieces for my "Alice the Undertaker" costume. Ordered a cheap but functional black corset from eBay, and fell in love with this coat from the ladies' store at Gentleman's Emporium. I'm trying to track down a pattern that's similar so I can make my own. That one's not too terribly pricey for a wool coat with that kind of detail, but I'm thinking with as many layers as I'll have something cooler than wool might be good. I'm going to base the character roughly on the description given for the Undertaker class from Unhallowed Metropolis, though I want to steer away from the Van Helsing overtones a bit. So far I've got a whole word document filled with my wish list, and another filled with a project list. I love this stuff! ;)

I've got our hats done and replaced the buttons on the tails coat for my sister (SeaLegs Constance). We are proprieters (sp??) of "Himmelhavers' House of Oddities" (a freak show), I am Countess Wilomina Whitesmith. I am currently looking for a decent coat in my size but just may have to find the right pattern to make it. The bad thing about going to a thrift store, you can't find large sizes.

Mad Woman Cheryl

By Odin's mighty spear, I hereby snap and go berzerk!!!"

I like the pirate logo. :D

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

woohoo. marscon 2009 (williamsburg va) is goin steampunk this weekend- of course that means they have no need for 18th century pirates- but i'm going anyhow!!!!!!!!!! I'll send pictures

Have fun... take lots of pics... and be sure to network!!

We need more meat for the grinder!!!

sig2.jpg

I met a vendor at a Medieval faire this weekend with REALY COOL goggles. They were almost 100 bucks a pair though. Too rich for my blood, but they gave me some design ideas... Anyway... He said this years DragonCon was Steam punk, and I wanted to let you know. There were a few Steam Punk kids at the Medieval Faire walking around too. It's really a growing trend. They looked quite fantastic too. Anyway regarding DragonCon I tried to verify the information about the theme, but couldn't find the theme on their website. He seemed like a connected guy. He's working the thing, so I figured he should know. He makes leather goods. I don't think he has a website. If he does I'll try and get his name when I see him next weekend

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

Hummm... I haven't been to Dragon Con in over 10 years.... (I use to live in Tennessee, so it was much closer) I'll have to do a web-search for some more info......

with Burning Man, is that it is so close to Ojai weekend

Yeah, that is why I didn't make it to Ojai this year.... I had enough money to go, but I was still recovering from Burning Man.....

I still have to remember to get batterys for my camera, so I can post a photo of my goggles.....

Steam Punk is starting to invade.. I saw quite a few people on Sunday at the medieval fair in Steam Punk gear. One guy had just started his outfitting, but boy did he look born the part! He was so tall and lanky with thin white hair. He had some handicap and was on a little scooter that he had planned to trick out. really cool guy.

Patrick we lived in LA for 20 years and i never had the chance to go to burning man, mostly because I didn't want to go unless I was part of some tribe. i knew it wouldn't be as much fun alone. I do hope this will materialize i would love to go with a bunch of my pub friends.

Glad you started sharing this on here.

BTW what's marscon??

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce