Steam Punk.....

Patrick Hand

So, Patrick, are you going Steam Punk for Halloween?

i WaS A MAd ScIEntist (Well actully, I wasn't mad at all... I quite enjoy being a Scientist..... Bwahhhhahahahaha....)

I just have to wait until I get a copy of the picture.....

I will be going to see Abney Park tonight in San Jose... Think I'll just wear my khaki stuff that I wore to Burning Man. (I haven't finished the frock coat yet...)

After PiP, I'm going to start working an an Airship Pyrate outfit (but thats all in another thread...)

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah.... I almost forgot to post this.....

Dr. Steel

This is his manifesto.... but I think there will be a lot of Pyrates that will agree with it..... (especially the part about being mad, and having fun... Oh,... and the part about toys...)

http://worlddominationtoys.com/drsteel/about/manifesto.htm

And this video is fun.... (it takes a while to load, but is worth it......)

http://worlddominationtoys.com/drsteel/about/vid1.htm

So, Patrick, are you going Steam Punk for Halloween?

I will be going to see Abney Park tonight in San Jose... Think I'll just wear my khaki stuff that I wore to Burning Man. (I haven't finished the frock coat yet...)

Do you see the "green flash?" in the North? That's not someone returning from the dead, it's me, green with envy! I'd love to see them in concert. :ph34r:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Cool steampunk clock that was hanging on the wall of the breakroom at the Franklin Institute.

Yes, that is cool. You know, I heard the other day that many of those in Generation Z (or whatever we have processing through the schools these days) cannot read an analog clock. In a way I guess that's shocking, but in another...so what? There's a digital clock in darned near every electric device that's sold.

I was watching Tin Man this weekend. It had a bit of a Steampunk air about it. (Although as a movie I thought the acting was a bit weak. And the interview in the extras with Zooey -whom I generally like- was comically awful. She sounded really flaky.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

For the ladies I found a wickedly cool black corset fishtail skirt in black of course and the ladies victorian boots..not sure what else to wear with it... :o

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

It is a lot easier to pull together. All the clothing was bought from either mainstream stores, haberdashery, Wild West sutler, WWI/WWII sutler, Goodwill, and Antique shows. Some pants were hemmed to fit in boots and the uniformed chap is wearing an old marine tunic he tweaked and added the front panel.

I've still got a lot of projects to do. My shoulder holster/haress is going to carry all of my neccessites, just gotta make the pouches.

Conceptual Simplicity, Structural Complexity, Achieves a Greater State of humanity.

Very cool Patrick. Very cool. I have some clothes that could do in a pinch

I just need to work on a hat and some goggles.

Also fer you and Pgoue, what do you suggest in the ways of a gun. Is it usually rayguns as I have seen of late, or fo you get a few modded out pistols here and there?

I'm re-thinking about guns...

When I was at Burning Man, I was stopped for carrying my Dinosaur Hunting Rifle... It was at night, and it must have looked real with night-vision..... (the picture is before it was finished...)

DinoGun.jpg

Any way... I don't really like ray guns, but I want something that looks kinda-sorta like a gun, but not enough like a gun to be a hastle with the police....

I might go with something that looks like a Gattling style rifle...

And just for funsies... this is a Nerf Maveick that I moded... yeah, I know, everyone mods Mavericks, but I wanted to show what I could do with one... it isn't finished yet.... (but it still fires....)

Nerf.jpg

Yeah guns are a bit touchy. I've tried to stay away from them because if I make one I'd want to wear it, probably wouldn't be a good idea to run around antique hunting with a firearm. Likewise I'm looking at modding a maverick. They look cool and they're so over-sized that hopefully doesn't look like a real gun. Of course there are always conventions to take the guns to...

Conceptual Simplicity, Structural Complexity, Achieves a Greater State of humanity.

Isn't that the turth though with Pirate gatherins as well, or do most folks not wear their weapons?

Not wear weapons? Not wear weapons!?!?!

;);):unsure:

Ok, some places do get sort of odd about weapons, but most places don't.

And for some of us, wearing and firing weapons is what this is all about. It ain't reenactin' if we ain't shootin' at wunnuther.

;)

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

It seems fer th' men, gatherin clothin fer this particular hobby be a bit easier. Not too much mind ye, but a little better

Bing! You got that right! I would say incredibly easy. Not to take away anything from the creative minds making great steamy comstumes, but... it's make believe. So anything goes. Steampunk is part counter-culture, part cosplay, part costuming... whereas this pirate thing... well... it depends. It can be cosplay and/or costumed entertainment, which is cool, but for the hard core reenactors, there's a helluvalot of research that goes into trying to get it right.

:unsure:

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Isn't that the turth though with Pirate gatherins as well, or do most folks not wear their weapons?

The only place I've found problems are at Renaissance type Faires. But even then you can get around it sometimes if you're working for a vender or are part of a demonstration.

Most Pirate Events that I've been to both East and West Coast have been fairly liberal on the subject of carrying weapons around.

Now at a regular Cons - SiFi and Fantasy Conventions, I'm not sure what the policies are beyond Katanas and Barbarian broad swords. . .