• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, a steampunk Dalek. Alert Dr. Who!

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

How did this come about? Movies, television, games? :P

Ummmm... yes! It's sort of "all of the above." From my point of view as the casual observer, it takes most of its inspiration from movies like First Men on the Moon and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. I don't know if any of the founders of steampunk literature would admit to it, but considering they are our contemporaries, I suspect those films (and others like them) figured predominately in their childhoods as they did in ours. Or, barring that, the original sources... Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, and possibly to a lesser extent ERB. It hopped to the gaming world first via Space:1889 and then GURPS Steampunk (at the time I really despised the term steampunk, and during playtest tried like hell to convince the author to change the title, which is why I figure I didn't get playtest credit in that book... yeah... sour grapes... :P ). At the time of its printing, GURPS Steampunk was on the cutting edge. The amount of steampunk activity 10 years ago was nil compared to what you can find today.

let's not forget the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

• 1 month later...

Here's a place all the SteamPunk folks need to move to;

Steamtown, PA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steamtown_National_Historic_Site

Granted, it's centered around the railroads, but... imagine a conversation at an event...

"Hello there fellow Steampunker, where are you from?"

"Steamtown..."

"Haha! that's great! really, where are you from?"

"Uh, really.... Steamtown, PA..."

:(

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

• 4 weeks later...

Help!

I came across a site that had tie on bustle skirts out of taffeta that were pin-tucked in the back and I forgot to bookmark the site.

If anyone can find this for me I'd appreciate it.

I wasn't going to get into this stuff, but apparently my friend/sales partner is doing Steampunk on Sunday of the Pyrate Daze (Pyrate Daze) event in Sept. (it's suppose to be Steampunk day) so I decided to go along with it.

Help!

I came across a site that had tie on bustle skirts out of taffeta that were pin-tucked in the back and I forgot to bookmark the site.

If anyone can find this for me I'd appreciate it.

I wasn't going to get into this stuff, but apparently my friend/sales partner is doing Steampunk on Sunday of the Pyrate Daze (Pyrate Daze) event in Sept. (it's suppose to be Steampunk day) so I decided to go along with it.

dresslikeapirate.com has a steampunk section with some stuff like that

gallery_10737_100_5347.gif

Time flies when you're having rum

Airship-steam-diesel pyrates and hardcore period correct scurvy dawg pyratin' are great.

Both fit into my personality and experiences of reenacting. Coupled with my current scoutmaster experiences and pack-rat-itis...so many gadgets, so little time...

Fair Winds and Ether currents to all,

thunderbuster

What the fuck is this? Steam PunK??? I have never heard of this!!!! Its a little weird to me, and for me to say that must mean something. What is with the "PUNK" part of this?? I had a mohawk for like 20 years. Does this have anything to do with that kind of punK? I rally need to know.

BJP_LOGO_BLOG.gif

The name Steampunk is a play off of the name Cyberpunk.... Some people are into the Punk aspects of the concept, and others prefer calling if Gaslight Fantasy, or neo-Victorian... like it or not, the name Steampunk kinda stuck.

Steampunk is set in a kinda alternative Victorian setting, with mechanical computers, airships, ray-guns, and other sorta-Science fiction elements.

One of the fun things about Steampunk is that because it never really existed, your imagination and creativity are allowed more freedom to make or create something that is a mix of Victorian and modern gadgetry. The Steampunk Keyboard is a good example of the concept... a modern computer keyboard that looks like it was made in the Victorian time period.

Well....that actually sounds fun. I had no idea. So me and my Victorian house, my 1890's suit and my welding goggles could actually get into this. I do remembr the cyberpunk thing when that was going on, but it didn't stick for me then. This could be cool. Thanks.

BJP_LOGO_BLOG.gif

I'd love to find some Victorian shoes without high heels. If anyone comes across such shoes that are flats please let me know.

Hey... ask in the Steampunk fashion board (as posted above...) .... they talk/type about womans shoes quite a lot... so someone there may be a able to help you.....