Steam Punk.....

Patrick Hand

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't remember if I've posted this or not....

Vernian Process..... a Steampunk musical group outta San Fransisco....

http://www.post-punk.com/vernianprocess.html

(Hint, hint.... check out their "Discography link at the top of the page.......)

And for the adventurous.... you can download An Age Remembered by Vernian Prosess here....

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=035675b...5472d6d2fb6d7ab

They have a cool sound too. I love it its like Industrial meets classical, meets goth punk.

I really like Abney Park though, they even have a folk sound thrown in there.

I've never been one to play with loops and sounds...I'm interested to see if i could write something in that style. We need a backstory to the crew... have you named the ship yet? and Patrick what's your job... are you our mad scientist inventor?? What's your Airship Pirate name?? I don't think I caught that on here.

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

We need a backstory to the crew... have you named the ship yet? and Patrick what's your job... are you our mad scientist inventor?? What's your Airship Pirate name?? I don't think I caught that on here.

Most of it's in the Airship Pyrate thread....

https://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=13466

The Airship is the Columbia's Revenge

No one has ever seen the Captain, the Ship may be haunted, or the Captain so badly disfigured that he is actully on life support and a part of the ship.....But he still gives orders.....

For Steampunk, I go by Silas Morgan, and I'm just a part of the scummy crew of Airship Pyrates....

Someone suggested that I check out "Hot Topics" ... and I think I found a pair of God Awful boots that I can modify for my Airship Pyrate.... And they are only about $60.00 .... cool....

• 2 weeks later...

The door slowly slides behind him as he removes his gloves tossing them in the corner. Gas hissing through the works of the airlocks.

Stepping into his quarters glad to be out of the greasy engine room, Colorado wipes the sweat from his brow.

Plucking his trusty goggles from atop his forehead he wipes them down from the days work.

DSCN0711.JPG

DSCN0715.JPG

DSCN0717.JPG

Needless to say I just got done with my first pair of goggles. I love the way they came out. Perfect for my Greaser Mechanic persona.

I just wanted to share.

Edited by Jack Roberts

Hey, those goggles came out nicely.... now that I have batterys for my camera, I have to post pictures of mine....and my almost complete combat vest....because the pockets are so handy, I've been wearing it all of the time... I still have a little more work to do on it tho.....)

Hey, we got a pictures thread for this stuff. It's easier to find there, than having to scroll back through a lot of word posts looking for pictures. Just a humble request, since others on the Pub will go there looking for pictures first, including me.

VERY kewl goggles, Colorado! :rolleyes: And I like the top hat. Mine's a short top hat, and is black. Still have to tart it up a bit though. I do have some goggles, but I don't think I'm going to mess with them much, as they really are antiques, and have the original case. So, I'm just going to put them on my top hat as more of a decoration, rather than actually use them. Besides, they don't fit over my glasses. :rolleyes:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

• 3 weeks later...
..weird, just weird.....

But that's part of the fun of it....

I like describing it as.... "Imagine Jules Vern's 20,000 leagues Under the Sea is actual history, not just a story.....

It's a time that never really was, but you get to make-up the good parts of it.......

How did this come about? Movies, television, games? :lol:

Ummmm... yes! It's sort of "all of the above." From my point of view as the casual observer, it takes most of its inspiration from movies like First Men on the Moon and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. I don't know if any of the founders of steampunk literature would admit to it, but considering they are our contemporaries, I suspect those films (and others like them) figured predominately in their childhoods as they did in ours. Or, barring that, the original sources... Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, and possibly to a lesser extent ERB. It hopped to the gaming world first via Space:1889 and then GURPS Steampunk (at the time I really despised the term steampunk, and during playtest tried like hell to convince the author to change the title, which is why I figure I didn't get playtest credit in that book... yeah... sour grapes... :lol: ). At the time of its printing, GURPS Steampunk was on the cutting edge. The amount of steampunk activity 10 years ago was nil compared to what you can find today.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

• 2 weeks later...

Since there isn't a 'for sale' area in this section, I'll post this here...

I've come across a small amount of lenses. Something to replace the dark, lenses in a pair of welding goggles, or whatever.

Clear, polarized lenses, 2" in diameter, 3/16" thick.

Lens3.jpg

Lens4.jpg

I would think selling them in pairs would be the thing.

Price?

What sounds fair?

PM me for details...

Edited by Dorian Lasseter

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

http://www.rivkasmom.com/

Cool stuff here...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

• 3 weeks later...

A Mini-rant....

I was looking on another forum, and it hit me..... most of the post sounded just like the pajama wearin' Feddies when I was a Klingon...... Dang... half the people posting should just join "Starfleat" if they want someone to tell them what to do..... (that's why I was a Klingon... :lol: )

"OH...I'm new to this... is this ok...."

"I don't know if this meets you approval..."

"that's not period"... (for a time that never was?.... :wacko: )

and my favorite...

"can you tell me how to dress..."

Awh come on..... Steampunk is whatever you decide it is..... I have my ideas of it, and you can have yours..... I don't need anyones approval or OK to do what I want to do.....

I'm going to have a nice big shot/glass a' rum... mellow out, and continue playing the way I want to... and you can do the same.......

Sorry....

<rant off>

LOL Yeah, I know which forum you are talking about. I put it down to the fact that a lot of them are very young, still in high school or college. A lot of them also sound very insecure (we all can't be as comfortable in our own skin as you are, Patrick :angry: ). Also, that particular forum stresses politeness, so I wonder if they are doing all the "May I" and "What do you think?" as a way to fit into forum expectations?

I'm glad I am past the point in my life where I worry about what other people think of how I dress or what I do to play. Most of the people I know locally, with a few exceptions, think I'm crazy, or refusing to admit how old I am and am acting like a kid. Well, what's wrong with that? That's why I love going to places like Nor Cal or Ojai—so I can hang out with people who like to be as crazy as me.

The really, really kewl thing about Steampunk, is that there are no rules. How could there be, in a world that never really existed? Heck, you make up your own world, like Patrick has done around the Columbia's Revenge. You can do anything from Cowboy Steam (Think Wild, Wild West), to Victorian Jules Verne, to more of a fantasy or military steam. Whatever floats your boat. :lol:

....Okay, lecture mode switched off....carry on......

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

A Mini-rant....

I was looking on another forum, and it hit me..... most of the post sounded just like the pajama wearin' Feddies when I was a Klingon...... Dang... half the people posting should just join "Starfleat" if they want someone to tell them what to do..... (that's why I was a Klingon... :lol: )

"OH...I'm new to this... is this ok...."

"I don't know if this meets you approval..."

"that's not period"... (for a time that never was?.... :blink: )

and my favorite...

"can you tell me how to dress..."

Awh come on..... Steampunk is whatever you decide it is..... I have my ideas of it, and you can have yours..... I don't need anyones approval or OK to do what I want to do.....

I'm going to have a nice big shot/glass a' rum... mellow out, and continue playing the way I want to... and you can do the same.......

Sorry....

<rant off>

Well said.. Rant ON!!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

Gotta rant too...

The more people get involved, the more convoluted it'll all get. There are so many different takes on it already, Neo-Victorian, Post-Apocolyptic, DieselPunk, etc. I'm not surprised to see people asking for help. I really wonder if they want or need the help so much as they're trying to just break into the group, in a passive manner. I'm getting tired of reading "long time lurker" followed by a slew of costume questions. There's nobody out there that I would consider an expert on SP, I'm sure there are people that feel that they are though. I think the best way to get inspiration on SP is to scour the web for pictures, find some costumes that you like and go from there. I think there need to be more SP pictures anyway. They're fun to look at and you get to see other people's take on it.

I gotta ask, what is it with bellydancing and SP. It seems like bellydancers are flocking to SP, is it the leather and brass?

Conceptual Simplicity, Structural Complexity, Achieves a Greater State of humanity.

• 2 weeks later...