On the hunt for Knee Breeches again...

MadL

Ok, now that me first 'bad experience' in Pirate Shopping online is over (well, second, but who's counting). I am on the hunt once again for a pair of:

brown Linen Knee Breeches

I want to have them custom made so they fit me right, I prefer brass buttons but pewter is fine as I can at least sew button (don't much know if I do it right but when I sticks'em they tends ta stay Stuck!), I would prefer Buckles on the leg cuffs, and I suppose I will go with French button instead of Drop Front fer I be told that Drop Front taint PC, besides, I now have a pair of drop front with lace up legs and No buckle (NOT what I ordered but at least I can cover me bum fer now).

So, now I am wonder'n just where ta go? The wool ones I just returned I was told "We dont line linen for linen stretches and continues to stretch and that is why no one lines linen"; but the one I has, with the laced legs, is 'lined', and the one who tells me this has "Linen - cotton lined" in their catalog? So why would they say they don't line linen? From the ones I have and the wool ones I returned I would think lined would be bett'r fer they look sturdier? Don't know if 'lined' is PC or not but if I can I think I would prefer them lined.

I know of Jas Townsend, I have some non-clothing stuff from them and they are always nice but are theirs 'lined'? I have been to that Canoo trader place but not heard of anyone who had purchased there, nor if they are lined? I have seen the ctraders site but they show no photos, but do mighty fine drawings....does the ink run on theirs much? I have been recommended to Ghostforge but they appear to only do Drop Front (First Base!).

Any thoughts, suggestions, experiances....?

I am looking for a brown linen, or even a brown and ?? mix that will look well once faded and weathered. Me frock is kind of a molted medium brown and weathered look, me shirt be white, me hat be black, me boots be black (as will be me shoes once I get to them as well), me baldric is weathered brown and custom tooled (thanks Barbossa Leather!) and a one of a kind.

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

Have you tried Reconstructing History?

I am fairly certain they are beginning to stop carrying "off the shelf" clothing, but I believe custom work is still an option through them. Kass (the owner and proprietress) knows her stuff and will make you brown linen breeches if you ask for brown linen breeches. Not the cheapest option, but top notch stuff.

Good luck in your search whatever you choose.

Michael_banner.jpg

I have a pair of button fly breeches and slops from Ghostforge in fustian which is PC fabric of linen and cotton

ghost forge

call them and tell them what you want ...I'm sure they won't steer you wrong!!!

you may need to dye them to get the shade you desire but that is fairly easy to do lad

dye them? I wants ta Kill'em!!!

The pair I have how where a light brown shade, I soaked in a weak vat o' black dye, then hung in the sun fer a week, then rinsed, then back in the sun, then dragged through the dirt (cleaned a wood fence while I was at it) then hung in the rain a few days, rinsed, and back in the sun fer a week. Now they don't look new no more.

But the legs still lace fer there be button holes on both sides :lol:

Thanks, I will call them both and see what they says.

Question about measurements people ask fer:

When they ask fer 'Inseam', do they want to know how far measuring from where the legs come together without testicals, or do they want from where me boys hang then down then to the cuff??

I'm with Callenish on this one, MadL... I've seen Ghost Forge's stuff and they are incredibly knowledgeable folks. Incredible stuff, too.

;););)

Oh, how we all enjoy such references!

When you call a place, ask. Eventhough it's rather embarassing. Might be more than worth the embarassing question.

Ya don't want th' Family Jewels uncomfy that's fo' sure. ;)

~Lady B

;)

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I am having a black pair made (take note Rumba...lol) by a wonderful local pirate seamstress named "Mad Woman", (Mia Brewer) she does most of the pirate garb for folks here in St. Augustine. Guess I'm slowly changing from a Hollywood pirate to a period correct pirate......she promised to be slow and gentle with me through the transition....lol

Slow an' Gen'le?

Nawww, mor like Wham Bam thankye Ma'm, now kindly be a giv'n back me dagger an' pistol balls.... :lol:

Flying Canoe are one of the best out there. Especially for shoes. He will not let you purchase them online. You have to be fitted by him and wear them about for an hour to make sure that they fit. I have also seen and worn a few pair of his breeches, they are well made, though not lined, they are finished. There are a lot of Rev War reenactors that swear by his stuff, and a lot that do F&I and pyracy as well.

Good luck,

Kathryn

Thankye Kathyrn Ramsey, but I checked and the Flying Canoe has no flights in me direction :lol:

I just checked with Kass and she say they be booked for the whole year so now I am lookin into GhostForge.

Fer shoes I just dropped a note to Loyalist Arms, I have dealt with them before and they are nice folk.

I have a pair of knee breechs I bought about 7 years ago. Wool They are great for the periods I do and are well made

sykes

PyrateAvitar.jpg

I am a Free Men of The Sea I don't pillage and plunder.
I covertly acquire!

François Viete Domont de la Palmier
I haven't been accused of Pyracy...............YET

OK... I've been drinking again....

But why not make them yourself..... hand sewing ain't that dificult, and GoF's page has a period tailors pattern for "French Fly" breaches. That way, you will get EXACTLY what you want.

I've posted somewhere... I think in PLUNDER how I made a pair of slops that were modified offa GoF's pattern, but the original pattern was for knee breaches.....

And I know a place that sells linen fer a fair price. (and another wot sells hemp ....)

Hey.... Sailors/Pyrates didn't just go to WallyWorld and buy a pair O' trousers/slops; they figured out how to make 'em thierselves......

But why not make them yourself..... hand sewing ain't that dificult, and GoF's page has a period tailors pattern for "French Fly" breaches. That way, you will get EXACTLY what you want.......

Aye, but I had hoped fer a pair to wear this year.

An' I do not know about the "EXACTLY" part ye mention fer ye not be seeing what I calls a 'stitch in time'.

B)

Tis true enough I once got in trouble whilst in the Army fer sowin on me own 8th Infantry Path Finders patch, got in trouble I did not fer bein' sloppy but fer bein' so neat they thought it surely 'glued' on. Why the stitches was so well concealed an' the patch laid so flat with no edge curl that they was convinced it could not be thread. But when the Sargent he tried to 'blow' that thar patch off, it dang nar blew the entire sleeve right off!!

But alas, days of late as I stated me time be limited fer such pleasures. Five day a week I am up before the sun an' hit'in the road fer work, I do not return until well after the sun has set beyond Dead Man's ridge. Currently I be only contracted by these Cor-pirates an' they now have tasked me with some courses to pass before end of year (contract) to choose if they keep me er not, so I be much with me face in a book er a CD ROM durin me spare times.

True I do not have much of the time I once had fer such pleasures, fer also I be prep'in fer to move as well an' have much to put into trunks and sacks, an I still be seekin port fer which to sail to at that.

So fer now I not be in a situation fer ta layin out cloth and patterns then sit and stitch it all together, even time taken ta attend fair an' gatherin takes away from important duties such a have before me now....but then 'all work and no play' make Mad L a very unpleasant beast fer ta be near now, right?

....hmmm, I wrotes to Ghostforge but have not heard back, perhaps I give them a call this next week. Again even that be a chore fer I got no access to personal phone while in the laboratory and cell phones do not work inside. Hopefully their noon time is in a different zone then mine, fer that makes phone calls at least feasible...

.... hand sewing ain't that dificult

Patrick, give me steel and a lathe, and I'll make ye what ye needs.

Give me good chisels and some wood, same be said.

Give me a furnace, foundry, and anvil, and I'll make ye sword or cannon to yer choosing.

Let me loose in the kitchen, and ye'll have a repast of a king's delight.

Give me fabric and thread, and I'm damned if I knows what to do.

Patrick, give me steel and a lathe, and I'll make ye what ye needs.

Give me good chisels and some wood, same be said.

Give me a furnace, foundry, and anvil, and I'll make ye sword or cannon to yer choosing.

Let me loose in the kitchen, and ye'll have a repast of a king's delight.

Give me fabric and thread, and I'm damned if I knows what to do.

Ye toss the fabric o'r the parrot for ta make'em shut up, an' ye uses the thread an' needle for ta threaten the beast if'in he still do not get the message!

<_<