A billhook for B. Pogue

1stMate Matt

Mr. Pogue pmed me a few weeks ago and asked me if I would want to make him a billhook. He sent me a picture and asked that it looked old and forged. I am quite happy with the turnout. He will be making wood scales for the handle himself so here is the blade.

billhook1a.JPG

billhook1b.JPG

billhook1c.JPG

billhook1d.JPG

Here is the original picture that I worked from.

Billhook

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

Arrggh you folks going to be boothing it up at the Baltimore Privateer Day?

Pirates Magazine will be there. I will be in New Orleans though. If you wanted one I could make sure there was one at the booth.

thatworks.shop

Yup. His is on the ship to him as we speak.

I can turn these bad boys out pretty darn fast though now that I have the design worked out. Let me know.

also...I don't know if you all are aware that We (BKS) give considerable discounts for group orders. Get a buddy or so together and the price will come down. This goes for everything from a cutlass to a custom silver ring and everything in between.

We are always happy to work with a group to make everyone happy.

thatworks.shop

I got it yesterday, it is beautiful! Thanks Matt, great job. I'll post some pics when I get the handles on it.

And, there are different variations on the shape if anybody wants to get one and have it be different.

Pogue

Conceptual Simplicity, Structural Complexity, Achieves a Greater State of humanity.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I finally hired me the blacksmith 1stMateMatt t' forge me a billhook. We mets face t' face in Studio City whereby I took possession o' the blade. Says I that 1stMateMatt be a fine swab. Once I had the billhook in me grasp I was o'erpowered by the notion that there weren't no ways to affix the blade to me person, 'cept tuckin' in into me belt. Tuckin' works fine fer some some places, but others want steel t' be "peace tied" so I knews I needed me a way to secure the thing. Me solution were to consult with that ol' salt Hervey Garrett Smith. With The Marlinespike Sailor in one hand and leather cord in the other I proceeded to fashion a plaited sennit as a belt loop and secured it to the scales with a common 3-strand cockscomb, an' fer good measure I clapped a runnin' turk's head on either side o' the cockscomb. I'm puzzlin' out if I want t' fashion a sheath cover fer the steel so it looks e'en more peace tied, like I has fer me axe. Don' knows that I will though. Anyhow, that be thought fer later. What I want t' be doin' here is t' show ye me solution fer fixin' a loop onto me billhook so I can haul it on me belt. Enjoy.

billhook1.jpg

billhook2.jpg