Pirate Ship to be home ported in St. Augustine

St. Augustine is getting our own pirate ship, a version of the Black Pearl. She is being built by a local hotel owner and will be located at the city yacht pier for a while them moved to the Fountain of Youth as her final home.

Don't know her arrival date but I know she will be here for the Florida Heritage Book Festival September 14th & 15th.

I'll post more as I find out the details.

Keep to the Code!

Joe

:lol:

Jeesh, Joe...I usually know of most ships being built.....Missed this one!..my guess is it ain't a wooden ship. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd hate to think that the 'grapevine' let us wood guys just upstream down....

:lol:

I'll dig around and see what I can find out. The guy building it owns several hotels in the area and could afford to go 1st class with it but I wager it would be something in the tourist class.

Wow, I can't believe I hadn't heard of this either.

And I'm surprised on a number of fronts that it's a version of Black Pearl. As neat as it looked on screen, it's not a very... stable... design. Pieces from here and there throughout the historical record, and I can't imagine a real-life Black Pearl sailing very well, if at all. That high stern castle was taken right off Vasa, and we all know what happened to her! Also, take note of the obscene freeboard. Doesn't seem practical, and if you change those diagnostic features, it's not "Black Pearl" at all, eh? And if it's in name only, is Disney on board?

Metal? Seems like it'd have to be.

• 1 month later...
Jeesh, Joe...I usually know of most ships being built.....Missed this one!..my guess is it ain't a wooden ship. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd hate to think that the 'grapevine' let us wood guys just upstream down....

:huh:

Well I guess I was misinformed on a lot about the ship. She is associated with hotels but I am not sure she is owned by them. She is steel hulled and intended for the tourist trade. I met the Captain at a recent pirate event, a charming fellow indeed, and saw a sketch of the Black Raven. She is a replica of a Spanish Galleon.

Here is the link to their site…..promises to be a great addition to piracy in the “Old City”

Black Raven Adventures

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
I just looked at the Black Raven site. Looks like she is goig to be grand. I can't wait to see her up close and personal!

The drawing I saw shows her to be a fine looking vessel......hope they were what she was built to...She should arrive Late February or early March.....I have a meeting tomorrow night and will ask if she is still on schedule.

• 2 weeks later...
It would be most excellent to have her sitting in the water right off from where we hold the 2nd Annual Pirate Gathering this year. BTW...any news on the dates for that?

Pirate Gathering will be about the same time frame as last years.....it will be in a place more accessible to the public this year...better for us and better for our vendors.

The Black Raven has received her final paint ( the unseasonal cold we had this winter slowed the painting) and has moved to the ways for launching....she is getting the final stuffing then will do her sea trials.......should arrive in St. Augustine in Mid March.

You will be able to see her when you come for the Duck Race in April....

Edited by King's Pyrate

The Black Raven will launch today...then they will install her mast and do the sea trials. As she nears St. Augustine she will stop at Daytona Beach where our pirate group ( Ancient City Privateers ) and friends will board on the morning of March 28th for the remaining trip to St. Augustine. We will enter Matanzas Bay a little after 1 p. m....just as the Castillio de San Marcos will be firing her afternoon salute....we rowdy pirates will jeer at the old city as the Black Raven returns fire. We will then land and raid the city. It will be quite a site as she enters her new home port.

I'm cleaning my garb and sharpening my cutlery!

Joe

Edited by King's Pyrate

I look forward to the pictures of her in the water. It's always good to see another boat in the business, but they need to hire an editor and press agent to rewrite the materials on their webpage.

Perhaps so.

Here are a couple of photos of her not shown on the site.

IMG_2284.jpg

Ready to Launch

IMG_2332.jpg

She is so much better looking than most of tourist pirate ships I have seen.

Perhaps so.

This line alone is worthy of mention...

"How I became of the works I was assigned me laden of burden from me master was that of a blacksmith."

IMG_2332.jpg

Will she bear a figurehead?

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Wow, I can't believe I hadn't heard of this either.

And I'm surprised on a number of fronts that it's a version of Black Pearl. As neat as it looked on screen, it's not a very... stable... design. Pieces from here and there throughout the historical record, and I can't imagine a real-life Black Pearl sailing very well, if at all. That high stern castle was taken right off Vasa, and we all know what happened to her! Also, take note of the obscene freeboard. Doesn't seem practical, and if you change those diagnostic features, it's not "Black Pearl" at all, eh? And if it's in name only, is Disney on board?

Metal? Seems like it'd have to be.

I thought The Black Pearl was an East Indiaman, the Pearl looks alot like the East Indiaman Götheborg from Sweden.

Helikopter-4(2).jpg

Edited by Poopdeck Pappy

sail_battles_longbeach05_031_405.jpg

BATTLESAIL

Perhaps so.

This line alone is worthy of mention...

"How I became of the works I was assigned me laden of burden from me master was that of a blacksmith."

IMG_2332.jpg

Will she bear a figurehead?

I never asked...will have to wait and see!

• 3 months later...