Looking for The Successful Pirate.

Tall Paul

As part of a project that I am working on, I am trying to find a transcript of the 1713 play by Charles Johnson, The Sucessful Pirate (or The Successful Pyrate. depending on what website you look at. :unsure: )

So far I have had no luck tracking down a copy.

Can anybody tell me where I can beg, buy, or Download a copy of this script from? Or indeed if it is available in a modern, or recent, printing.

Any help in tracking down this text would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Paul Adams

Trust me Paul, it's not worth the reading. The plot is holed, the characters are flat, and the jokes are shite.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Dramatic Quality notwithstanding, I still want to get hold of a copy as part of a study I am doing into the representation of pirates in cultural history, The Successful Pirate is credited with having a role in the public perception of pirates at the time.

From what I have been able to find out, it is a broad comedy/melodrama. How the central character is portrayed is relevant to my studies.

If you can help me to get hold of a copy, Ed, I would be very grateful.

I sent you an email about it Paul, but I guess I've got your wrong email address... you seem to have so many!

Send me an email and I'll reply forthwith.

:lol:

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk