1st Annual Long Island Pirate Festival

Well, maties, it nearly be 5 o'clock an' I am about to finish with me tedious toilin'...I be off to load up the holds of the Midnight Rose and Devil's Chariot for our short trip up the bay. Smooth sailin' t' all an' I'll see you in Sayville!

Captain Myfanwy T. "Bloodrose" Blodynrhos

The Midnight Rose

"Why is the rum always gone?" ::stagger:: "Oh. That's why."

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank ye for the compliment! You don't know how many times we heard "that's nicer than my house/apartment/bedroom" over the course of the weekend. Hell, at the moment it looks better than MY house, as we just moved and everything's disorganized, to say the least. I swear, we should have taken donations to go in the tent - we would have made a bloody fortune for the museum...

The Midnight Rose

Salty & m'self arrived safely home monday morn 8;15AM(slept 4 hours along the road) left immediately to drive another 2 hours for a doctor's appointment in Pittsburgh .....i fell asleep in the waiting room ....finally home and will be sleeping about 12 hours straight :lol:

nice folks at the event ....sales at the event_________ that be another tale :lol::D;)

PEEKTURES!!!

Bluebeard's Pics - this one has the picture of all the pirates from the festival

Newsday Pics

Pictures from Flickr

My friend Kerry's pics - mostly of me, Capt. Rhedd, my crew, and our encampment. Good thing she got these, there are hardly any in the other sets.

Still waiting for ones from my crew.

The Midnight Rose

After attending the Long Island Pirate Festival, I thought it might be a good idea to create an online home for crews/musicians/vendors/performers etc. on Long Island to network and plan mischief. It's also good for out of area folks who want to do events on the Island.

Long Island Pirates Yahoo Group

Please join and spread the word - I've sent out a bunch of invites but only one person has responded!

The Midnight Rose

For those of us attending the Long Island Pirate Festival - any suggestions for improvement for next year?

I'll start the ball and mention one irksome condition at this years event

IF BP and edged weapons are to be sold / demo'd or carried, make sure that all local officials have been notified and permits, permissions etc secured in writing.

Seating for stage areas ( hay bales, bleachers or logs)

More seperation between stage areas

More period vendors

I'm sure there is more, but I didn't get to see much, playing sound man and performing all day.

Ye Pyrate Brotherhood are to be commited, I mean COMMENDED for such a really good first year event. Considering the event was hatched less then 6 months ago, it was a great one!

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

I'll agree with all of that, especially the part about permits. The on again off again situation made it impossible to know what was going on, so we decided to take no chances and stood down.

Period vendors would be a good thing. I know it was a first year fair, but there was a bit too much of the local craft fair image about it.

Advertising- I don't know what there was, but it seemed from my point of view that it had been aimed a bit too much at the 12 and under set and their parents. Certainly that seemed to be the primary patron.

How about getting a regiment or 2 from the period, maybe a short skirmish, or at least something to play off each other.

Site was great, i think the museum did really well with the physical facilities. The portaloos were phenomenal.

Catering was also excellent, but come on.. Bud????

All in all a damn good first time out. I want to see it continue, we need a northern pirate gathering.

Hawkyns

<_<

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

we were out for a bit on Sat afternoon caught half of your 2(ish) show (The Brigands sounded great as always) and watched a few other bands- walked back to the car and I twisted my ankle badly, crawled out of Montauk Hightway in a mantua and hat and decided it was time to go home.

so my comments are from the short time we were there

less cops, they terrify me in large numbers

agreed on stages further apart from one another, seating for stages and

additional beverage only stands for water and soda

more period vendors

more pirates!

"It is more like I am transitioning from a pirate hobby to the pirate lifestyle"- me

pub_footer.jpg

Have to agree with what has been posted.

The increase in the number of period vendors would be an improvement and grouped a bit closer together would also be good.

Also the additional placement of rubbish containers for the patrons would be helpful.

With the right permits and consistent schedule would have drawn more patrons toward the shore area which would have increased traffic toward the period vendors. (m'self included)

As a period weapons vendor having to remove half the stock from public sale was annoying in the least. The on again off again situation with what would be permitted to be sold without fear of arrest/confiscation gave me serious pause about the event.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The lack of seating in areas outside the food vending area would also help in drawing people out to the outlying perimeter.

This thread was a great idea, Capt. Thighbiter, as we didn't get to have the "Captain's Council" after the festival to discuss all this...

Some very good points made in the previous post. Here's my 2 pieces of eight:

--I was a little annoyed that the trash cans were taken away from the encampment area before we were done breaking camp. We had very little garbage, but still...

--The privies were top notch! I wish Pennsic had privies like that! And they had real sinks with running water and they kept the soap filled well! No need for Purell or baby wipes the whole weekend.

--A cold drink or maybe ice cream/Italian ices vendor with some tables would have kept more patrons on the vendor/reenactment side.

--The stages were DEFINITELY too close together. I was watching Strike the Bell on Sunday, and they were finishing their set. They were just about to do the song, "Strike the Bell", which is obviously their theme song, and the group performing on the other stage had just started it!!! That really sucked, but I suggested they just play along with the other group and we all sang it together.

--The Pub Sing was fantastic. As a singer of shanties and sea songs without anyone to sing with (I love my girls but they can't hold a tune), my dream of performing with the Crimson Pirates finally came true. :)

--I think the idea of having a regiment or two come out and do scenarios with the pirates is absolutely brilliant. My cousin does Rev War on the British side with the Royal Welsh Fusileers (he's in the the top row, 2nd from the left in the picture) and we might be able to persuade a few of them to come out.

--I think we could have played up "taking over the town" of Sayville better and had a running storyline as such.

Concerning the kids:

1. YPB does a lot of work with kids so it was pretty much expected that if they were involved, there would be kids.

2. It WAS formally advertised it as a family event. My understanding is that it was going to work like a Ren Faire, and since there are lots of kids at Faire I expected there to be a lot at the Festival. I even warned my crew ahead of time that there were going to be kids and to keep everything PG-13...

3. The kids were adorable! I love to watch a kid get wide eyed upon meeting a "real" pirate. And the little girls really liked us female pirates and wanted to take pictures with us.

I had a blast - hope you all did too!

The Midnight Rose

While I wasn't there, I'd figure i'd through a thought in anyways because I've been at other events...

- definitely get the permits in writing and ahead of time.

- less cops? maybe not in the standard uniforms...

- period vendors are a great idea, so are local crafters too... just keep them separated, opposite sides of the event.

- definitely separate the stages because it sucks to have modern mic'd and amp'd up bands stomping all over the more traditional folk singers.

Also along this line, a possible coordination of songs might be helpful (although I don't know how well that'll work and not cause rivalries).

- definitely more cold drink vendors, but a few hot drink vendors is good too... a hot coffee or tea does wonders sometimes.

- just got to say, DAMN, privies that put the ones at Pennsic to shame?? Wow!

-a good story line and a few regiments to "fight" are always a good thing. Research into the local history of pirates in Long Island would be good and then try to re-create some of that or build a story around some of it.

- a good living history setup can do really well. The demonstrations put on in Hampton were apparently a big hit.

- more pirates with period (or as close to period) kits are a good thing. Works well with the living history part mentioned above and with the story lines.

- having things for the kids to do (not moon bounces and crap like that) is

always a good thing and helps draw crowds.

Well, that's all I can think of now... from the sounds of it, you've had a great first run, and you can only improve from there.

Best of luck!

Chaos, panic, pandemonium - my work here is done.

Master-At-Arms,

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

17th & 18th Century Naval Living History

Crew Of The Vigilant

-a good story line and a few regiments to "fight" are always a good thing. Research into the local history of pirates in Long Island would be good and then try to re-create some of that or build a story around some of it.

Great idea, Major. We had our share of pirate activity here on the Island:

--William Kidd - Gardiner's Island, off our East End, is where Kidd buried his treasure.

--Thomas Jones - He amassed a large fortune in the Sweet Trade (though he considered himself a privateer, of course) and built an impressive mansion here on the Island. Our most famous beach, Jones Beach is named for him. There is also a legend that he buried his treasure on his estate.

--And another, one of the most brutal pirates I have ever read about, is Charles Gibbs. He's after our period though.

I can see the festival having a Kidd and Jones, as they both operated in our period around the same time. And since they both allegedly buried treasure here, maybe they could do a treasure hunt with the kids.

The Midnight Rose

• 2 months later...

Well shiver me timbers!! Here we go again!! We be gettin’ ready fer the 2nd Annual Long Island Pyrate Festival to be takin’ place in the latter half of June 2009. So polish up them guns and cutlasses me hearties… we already startin’ to git venders and performers signed aboard. But o’ course always happy to have more!!

Drop us a line at info@yepyratebrotherhood.org for more info as it becomes available. Visit our sites at www.yepyratebrotherhood.org or www.lipiratefestival.com

Fair winds to you all!!

James Bartholomew Hawke

Ship’s cooper

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update on how things are progressing....

We are looking at the weekend of June 6 -7 at either Tanner Park in Copiague, LINY or on the grounds of St.John's Oakdale campus.

Also since our group has been a non-profit organization these past 10 years we are going to be donating a substantial portion of the proceeds to 2 local charites. We are in talks with Good Samaritan Hospital for thier Childrens Ward and John T. Mathers' Breast Cancer Center.

This event is starting to grow and the word is spreading. Please feel free to post any suggestions or contact us if you want to be a vendor or entertainer or sponsor.

Will keep you all posted on further developments...

James B. Hawke

Ship's Cooper

Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

www.yepyratebrotherhood.org

(aka Gregory Serra)

• 3 months later...

Here is latest scoop on the Long Island Pirate Festival...

First I want to say... This event will be benefitting a number of local charites such as the Long Island Chapter of the Juvenile Arthritis Foundation, Mather Hospital's Lymphodemia Center, Long Island Cares Food Bank...

We are having difficulty in tying down a venue. Our first choice now is the campus of Suffolk Community College in Brentwood but are running into insurance issues. We are looking at other possible sites such as Belmont Raceway, Cold Spring Harbour, Bald Hill, etc...

If anyone out there has an idea and some information on a particluar venue, please send it to info@yepyratebrotherhood.org. All help is welcome.

We have over 70 vendors waiting in the wings for us to get this venue issue finished as well as numerious entertainers.

We still need sponsors, so if anyone has a contact or wishes to sponsor please contact the above email address.

Lets hear from all the pirates out there who think they may be able to attend. We want the Northeast to have its very own Annual Pirate Festival that will not only let us carry out our piratical ways but will generate needed revenue for some very worthwhile charities.

James Bartholomew Hawke

Ship's Cooper

Have you tried contacting anyone in Oyster Bay?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• 4 weeks later...

Tentatively June 13th & 14th, 2009: Long Island Pirate Festival 

http://www.lipiratefestival.com/

West Sayville, Long Island, NEW YORK

86 West Ave, West Sayville, NY

10 am - 6 pm

Currently seeking merchants, performers, and sponsors for our 2009 festival. Please contact us for more information!

[from the 2008 listing] See the video commercial at: http://www.mylitv.com/view_video.php?viewkey=eaa7caa47487d1483e48 

Pirate sword fights, period music & sea shanteys, food, shows and lots of shore bound vendors ta pick up some plunder! Living history pirate encampments and black powder cannon demonstrations. And of course, roving bands of pirates! Come in costume, if you dare! Pirate crew of the Valhalla, Cascabel And Braze, The Brigands, The ZeeWolves, Pirates for Sail, Pirates of the Dark Rose, Freemen of the Sea, Down East Pirates, Pirates of Alexandria Bay…and many more!!! Come join in the hostilities…er we mean festivities!! Music by: Strike the Bell, Pirate Circus, Pirates for Sail, Fathom and Down East Pirates. Hosted by Ye Pyrate Brotherhood & the Long Island Maritime Museum. $7 per person , children under 5 FREE!! Inquiries can be made to: yepyratebrotherhood@yahoo.com or lucretia_lacey777@yahoo.com

MySpace page.

--Jamaica Rose

Editor of No Quarter Given - since 1993

http://www.noquartergiven.net/

"Bringing a little pirate history into everyone's life"

Find No Quarter Given

... on Facebook: facebook.com/noquartergiven

... and on Twitter: @NoQuarterGiven

• 1 month later...

Well, here is the latest...

First off we need to change the date of this event to Sept 19-20. What a nice coincidence...The 19th is "Talk like a pirate" day!!

Second, we could not secure our top choices for a venue due to black powder restrictions. We have however seem to be able to proceed with Lido Beach, NY which, upon inspection appears to be an even better location as it is ON THE BEACH!

A correction to one of our charities... it is not the Juvenile Arthritis Foundation but the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation. Sorry about that.

I will continue to update when information becomes available.

Hope everyone can attend the on the new dates...

James B. Hawke

Ship's Cooper

Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

www.yepyratebrotherhood.org

(aka Gregory Serra)

• 3 weeks later...

If there is anyway that we (Half Moon Marauders) can help please feel free to PM me or any of the crew. We are very excited for this event (more so cause its a "local" event for us) and I am pretty sure that we are all willing to pitch in where needed. Hope everything is going well.

m_88912d35e54b4e34952d9677df54b55f.png

Half Moon Marauders

Irish Diplomacy... is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip.

• 2 months later...

Good day to all you sea rovers...

My sincerest apologizes for not updatin' this topic but better late than never as they sez...

Our dates are the same... Sept 19-20 ( talk like a pirate day!)

Location is the Brookhaven Ampitheater on Bald Hill, NY.

Charites are John T. Mather Hospitals Lympedema Center and the Local Juvenile Diabetes Foundation.

$10 per person (under 5 free) with $1 off with a non persishable food item for Island Harvest Food Bank.

$3 parking for an additional, as of yet,undetermined charity or maybe a scholarship.

We have numerous groups that will be entertainin' the guests such as The Brigands, The Valhalla Pirates, The Bawdy Bucanners.

We will also be havin' some belly dancers and other acts as well as a kids zone, black powder area, food etc...

Lets here back from some o ye who will be attendin'...

fair winds to you all...

James B. Hawke

Ship's cooper