1st Annual Long Island Pirate Festival

THe 1st Annual Long Island Pirate Festival June 14 & 16, Long Island Maritime Museum, Sayville NY - Finally, the New York City area has a pirate festval to call it's own. The festival will be held on the beautiful seaside grounds of the Long Island Maritime Museum, amid the whaling boats, ships bells and quays. The air will ring with the sounds of music and cannon fire, as we celebrate Long Island's rich maritime history and pirate background. Museum is located 45 min out of NYC, in Sayville ( and no Barber of Sayville jokes, please). Organized and sponsored by Ye Pirate Brotherhood, an entertainment and re-enactment group, with the proceeds to benefit the Museum, the Festival will feature period music, a select cadre of vendors, sword play, battles of wit and cunning, black powder cannon demonstrations, treasure hunts, a pirate encampment, and pirates from up and down the East coast.

The Brigands will be performing, along with some special guests!

For more information, please visit the website:

http://thebrigands.com/lipiratefestival

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we are looking forward to it (especially since we can take the train! YAY! No long drive! Yay no airplane rides! YAY NO TSA!!!)

hopefully we can make it is runs the same weekend as the Sea Music Festival in Mystic- but your festival will probably win since it is closer

:ph34r:

"It is more like I am transitioning from a pirate hobby to the pirate lifestyle"- me

pub_footer.jpg

Aye! I have been to the LIMM and it's perfect for pyrates! They are a growing museum with a sister location in Greenport which has a ship the Mary E sailing betwixt the two. It follows shipping routes used in the past for molasses rum and lumber.

It's about time LI got it's Pirate on :ph34r:

After all we were the Tortuga of the North for a while here with pirates populating the East end and getting involved in rumrunning later on

"In letter after letter to London, Richard Coote, Earl of Bellomont, the Colonial Governor of New York in 1699 called Long Island a "great receptacle for pirates." Rhode Island was also notorious for harboring pirates; but Governor Bellomont said that Long Island (then called Nassau Island) was worse, especially the east end of it. "The people there have many of them been pirates themselves, and naturally are not averse to the trade," he said quite unfairly. "Besides that, they are so lawless and desperate a people that I can get no honest man to venture among them and collect their excise and watch their trade." He asked the British government to give him one hundred men to send to eastern Long Island the next spring to try to catch smugglers. "

Heh heh.......yeah! :ph34r:

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

:lol: Ahoy and fair winds to all ye who ply these here waters!! This be James Bartholomew Hawke, ship's cooper sailin' with the fine rogues of Ye Pyrate Brotherhood (YPB) out here on Long Island.

Nice to hear of the warm reception to our Pyrate festival we be putting together with the LIMM. YPB is workin' right closely with the fine folks at the LIMM planin' all sorts of pyratical ventures. All are welcome and we would love for ye to show up in full kit o' course.

If there be any of you who be a willin' to join our crew we would would be right proud to make yer aquaintence. Ye can email us at:

yepyratebrotherhood@yahoo.com

J.B. Hawke

• 2 weeks later...

The Crew of the Black Seal will be there!

I am looking to hawk me wares as a Merchant and I plan to bring along the little "Black Seal" and possibly a little sister ship for others to sail, as well.

Really looking forward to this one!

Captain Darrike

Privateer "Black Seal"

ZeeWolves of Nieuw Amsterdam

;)

"No Profit Grows Where is No Pleasure Taken."

Thighbiter

Waht about the option of a rew camp- period, of course. Space available? Firepits for cooking allowed? The usual amenities- wood water and straw?

I'm thinking of asking the crew of the Mermayde, but need more detail first.

Hawkyns

:lol:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Not familiar with the term 'rew' camp, but for cert there will be pirate camps of other re-enactment groups. Please go to the website contact monti babson( george) on the facilites. THe area set aside for the encampments is very large, and can accomodate a lot of pirates!

And is on the shore, so very appropriate. Now, if we can just get a good sized boat there to carreen, what a great bit of re-enactment that would be. Something we might get the talking heads from the big three to come out for.

Site for the LI Pirate Festival

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

Thanks Captain.

That's "crew camp"- the C sticks on the laptop.

I've put it out to the crew of the Mermayde, I would say you will have at least some of us there. Probably bringing at least one cannon and the usual assortment of swords and muskets.

Any combat conventions or black powder rules we should know about?

Hawkyns

B)

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Excellent Mr. Hawkyns !

With our 4 long guns, and those coming already, that makes 7, with your crew, 8.

Weapons policy is being worked through, but I can't imagine anything out of the ordinary being instituted. I believe the scenario will involve an attack on the 'camp' by a hostile ship - do ye prefer to attack or defend? <_<

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

And to think I was going to look in to getting a hotel.

I would much rather stay in an encampment than a hotel....Save me gold for more better things like beer and rum.

I will contact them about puttin me on the ships list for the camp.

How you been Hawkyns??

I had a good time with you and the others at MDRF Pirate camp this year

"No matter where you go. There you are."

• 3 weeks later...

I shall be there, with some of my crew and also the Devil's Chariot crew.

Hey, Darrike, I didn't know you were from the area! We must make each other's acquaintance at the festival.

Captain Myfanwy T. "Bloodrose" Blodynrhos

The Midnight Rose

"Why is the rum always gone?" ::stagger:: "Oh. That's why."

Yes Myfanwy Bloodrose, it will be good to have an event in our own waters! I am looking forward to forging alliances between my Zeewolves and some of the other Brethren (and Sistren!)

I am also interested in attending as a Merchant. The LIMM put me on to Ye Pyrate Brootherhood site, but I did not see a link for the application.

Do any of you know to whom I would submit a Vendor Application?

Darrike

Nieuw Amsterdam Zeewolf

... by way of the Danish West Indies

(Dutch, Danish, Cornish... it's all PIRATE!)

"No Profit Grows Where is No Pleasure Taken."

Cutter, the vendor contact is Karen, at lucretia_lacey777@yahoo.com

Aye, it will be good to 'hook' up with all of the fellow gentlemen of the easy trade. It will be good the perform in our home waters too!

We do shows all the way from Virginia to Maine and we get our noses tweaked constantly because NY and in particular Long Island has had no Pirate events until now. But black's the white of my eye if'n we dosen't get vindication! I live literally 5 minutes from the Festival site, and no, no one is camping out in my backyard.

The revels saturday night should be some fun, especially if we go

a-raiding to the local pubs.....

Any other vendors thinking on participating should get a move on!

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

And why, Captain, would ye want to go waste time with the townies when we can sing around our own fires and drink cheaper with the rum we brought ourselves?

That is assuming, of course, that we are allowed fires in our camps and it is not a dry site????

Hawkyns

:lol:

rod_21.jpg

I just been informed that the vendor fee for the Long Island Pirate Festival have been slashed in half. Yes half. Was $200.00 for the 2 days, now is $100.00 for the 2 day event.

If'n I were a vendor that would seem mighty attractive. Especially since this event has a projected attendence of 10,000 for the weekend.

I might just have to dig out all my old garb, weapons and assorted pirate stuff and get rid of it!

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

Darrike - how can I get my fair ship and her crew listed on the official site? We are attending in official capacity so I'd like us listed.

The Midnight Rose

Many thanks, Captain! In addition to the crew of the Midnight Rose, the crew of the Devil's Chariot will also be attending. I know Captain Rhedd would appreciate if his ship were listed as well. I am looking forward to hearing your music and your things that go boom.

The Midnight Rose

Capt Thighbiter -

I emailed YPB at yepyratebrotherhood@yahoo.com but have gotten no response. Did you receive a further updated list with both the Midnight Rose and the Devil's Chariot on it? If not I will have to try again.

I'm all giddy about my ship being listed on the site, BTW. I've shown EVERYBODY! Thanks! I'm very excited about the festival being on my home soil. If there's anything I can do to help I will do it.

The Midnight Rose