Where thar be neck wear?

MadL

Where might one be in finding of silken neck wear?

I pilfered me self a nice large bit o' silk from Canada what makes a good head cover for t' keep me hat clean but can not find smaller bits what fer t' tie around me neck.

'

I was think'n sumth'n like the piece Mr. Moon wears in 'Yellow Beard'; small, black, not bulky. Or what else might a pirate tie around the neck for t' fend off the night's chill wind?

An' where might one find a good choice of rag for ta make sash with? I see lots of Jack Sparrow sash about, an' I see lots of modern cloth about, but where be the Hemp, Linen, Silk, and 100% Cotton types, preferably long enough fer two times around me wide rum filled waist?

:lol:

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

A square yard of linen will do nicely for a neck-tie, or you can use a solid colored silk scarf from a ladies store. Most prints are just not right.(Who's gonna argue with a PYRATE!)

On the sashes, worsted wool was a common material, as would silk be. Egyptian cotton may have been used too. My best freinds wife makes the long Voyaguer sashes that wrap around twice, or three times if you're a small guy. they average 12'6''. She makes them custom for the Boy Scouts Mic-o-say costumes on an inkle loom, but uses modern 100% wool. I have two solid red ones that she made, and if you are going to PiP this year one of them will be there for auction I believe.

Try Smoke-n-Fire company, or Jas. Townsend & Son.

Good luck.

Bo

hmmmmmmmmm good idea with the silken herichief.......as to where to find neck wear...well generally around one's neck........

sorry couldn't resist :(

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

**getting all teary eyed**

Ah gee thanks guys fer thinking of me... ah.. group hugs!!! ;) :angry: B)B)

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

A pre-hemmed silk scarf is most definitely the way to go. Warm enough in cold weather, light & cool enough in the heat. Plus they take no space to pack.

If you're in the mood to dye for yourself, Dharma Trading is the best. Many of my neckerchiefs are made from their 30" square scarves & fiber reactive dyes. I've found that the larger size is too big & the small size doesn't offer enough tail for a few twists or to tuck in.

If you're hoping to purchase, try an internet search for "Waldorf Play Silk". They are intended as play things for children in Waldorf eduction, however the colorful silk scarves are the perfect addition to every basic sailors (& proper woman's) kit. Just stick with the solid colors over the tie dye ones. Nova Naturals Toys carries a wide selection and is a very reliable company.

Do try to avoid those "other" options :angry:

Hope that helps.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Quoting Gentleman of Fortune

"It doesn't have to be a fancy silk affair either! A simple linen job, a square yard, will work."

and if I recall correctly Kass said linen would be more commonly correct for a neck cloth.

and in the summer, silk is cool enough but linen is cooler and breathes much better...

But you can also check it out with the experts over in Twill, Kass, GoF, Blackjohn and of course last but not least Foxe...just search neck cloth, head scarf, neckerchief, sashes and you will find quite a bit of serious discussion regarding yer topic.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Thankye all!

I will have to check out this Dharma Trading Company, don't think I have seen them yet.

I have some hemp from a place, Hemp Factory I believe, in Los Angeles. I was able to make decent enough head band but due to me hands be'in of all thumbs the stitching did not hold well in the wash I found fast that hemp turns to rag quick if the edging is not secured!

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

I looted all mine from Hancock Fabrics. Nice selection. Not sure if they have a website or maybe a store in your area.

Colors of the Sea Nymph

PirateFlagAxesig.jpg

"Let's drink a Damn to the Halter, lads, and them that lives to wear it"--Bartholomew Roberts

"You are a devilish conscience rascal, I am a free prince, and I have as much authority to make war on the whole world, as he who has a hundred sail of ships at sea, and an army of 100,000 men in the field; and this my conscience tells me: but there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure."--Sam Bellamy

I've ordered close to a 100 yards of fabric from Dharma over the past couple of years. I highly recommend them. Always good fabric and good service.

If your feeling adventurous you could always get into dyeing.

Their dyes are top notch. I have both cotton and silk dyes from them and the results were excellent.

RHJMap.jpg