Period Shoes

blackjohn

Captain Bo, if you look at the pic Greg posted up above, you'll notice the anchor hole for the buckle is way off to the side, so you can wear it off-center if that is more comfortable for you.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the clarification and further information BlackJohn, BloddyJack & GOF. I'm not as familiar with the La Belle shoe as with the Whydah, which is why I posed my questions. The documentation & further reading is exactly what I like to see in an answer :ph34r: Thank you gentlemen!

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

After much back and forth banter over styles and shapes and so on, I think Loyalist Arms is doing a great job giving us as many choices as possible in these new shoes.

The cost will be $125.00 US.

Just to recap:

Shoes available in black or natural tan, (undyed).

Vegetable tanned.

Rough or smooth side out.

Buckle included but not attached so the customer can place, (or replace),

them wherever they want.

Two different types of shoe will be available. One is based on the shoe from the Whydah. The other is derivative of shoes found on La Belle.

Discounts will be available for group orders.

I'll pass along more info as it comes to me.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Would Eye be able to aquire these before PirateCon?

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Sorry Eye, but I have no idea when Pirate Con is, so I couldn't answer. And even if I did, it would just be a guess. My guess would be no. Between construction times and shipping times, I'd be surprised if we'd see these arrive before two months. We're probably looking at four. But again, that's just as guess.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I finally made the connection...

for sraight lasts all they need to do is contact Fall Creek Civil War sutlers and inqire about the brogan straight last soles! They appear to be the same cut from all I can see. Tacking on the higher heel and the rest of the works should not be a problem for the shoemaker. I am looking at my crocked pair of CW brogans now. Anyway, the whydah shoe pics are identical to the brogan last pattern, so it should not be that difficult to do.

Bo

• 2 weeks later...

The Loyalist Arms Shoes are now available for order!!!!!

Loyalist Arms Shoes link

While the web site does not spell this out, the "early" shoe design is based on the shoes found on the Phips ship, the "late" shoes are based off of the "Whydah" shoe... They are available in natural tan or black, and in straight last, or left/right lasted versions... Get your orders in folks!

Also, as a reminder the order time for shoes will...

will take approximately 6-12 weeks,

The fitting is custom, but in Metric, so it's time for everyone to go out and buy metric measuring devices :lol: .... Or for those that live near Ikea stores, they give paper tape measures (with metric and Impreial measure on them) so people can measure the furniture Ikea sells to ensure fit....

Michael_banner.jpg

The company has a fitting tool/kit they send for your order.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered my shoes and will report back on them when they arrive. It will be several weeks. The measurements were amazingly easy. If you have a cloth tape measure they are metric on the back so it was fairly easy to follow the directions.

They are about to place their initial order so if you want to get a pair of custom buckle shoes and get them before June you may want to act now.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

I be taken me measurements now, have to wait till Monday ta order however for ta make sure the loot be in the chest when they go ta dig it up....

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

Also, as a reminder the order time for shoes will...

will take approximately 6-12 weeks,

And my question for those who DID purchase shoes at Loyalist Arms, what was the *actual* time of delivery? Six weeks? Twelve weeks?

I actually did place an order for a period number ones, and had a long chat with Blair, and now that I committed myself (Cdn$) , I just wondered what kind of wait any of you had.

SHIP2-1.jpg

He said roughly six to eight weeks, depending when he had enough orders to send overseas and the time it takes to check the orders on his end.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

I spoke with them on Monday and they are due to be placing the next order "later this week"....so my order is in. She did make a statement that they expected the turn around to be "in June"

Yeah, just in time for me to take a turn with them in Port Royal as a break in. Thanks for the date update.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

• 2 months later...

So what's the trick to keeping Fugawees from being so slippery underfoot? I just got some Concords delivered and I'm wearing them to the office to break them it, but the tile floors are like ice skating rinks to me. Should I sand the soles or cut them or is there some other prefered method?

Still waiting for mine from Loyalist but when I first got my caboots they too had me slip'n 'n slide'n....ha'en been athletic all through school 'n deeply interested in martial arts after that, I had always been taught to walk/stand on the 'ball' of me feet, that is where the balance is and also your toes are used to 'grasp' th' ground for e'en more support. Howe'er, in these smooth bottom footwear I ha'e found one trick is t' learn t' walk/stand on yer heals!

Run'n round a ship last month I almost forgot 'n e'ery time I raised up on the balls o' me boots - S W I S H s h s h... - I would go fer a slide! (looked pretty cool, e'en Brandon thought so, hopfully they got it on flim B) )

looking 1 second into th' future; I will answer what I knows o' th' next question fer t' come out'a michaelsbagley's mouth:

I ha'e not recei'ed me order from Loyalist yet. Anyone else from th' April order heard from them???

ok...michaelsbagley....go......NOW!

MadL wrote

Still waiting for mine from Loyalist

I'm still watitng for mine. MadL, did you get this email notification? I got this notice last friday 2oth June

Good Day to everyone on our mailing list;

The staff and management of Loyalist Arms, wish you all a wonderful Summer..

We have been very busy here with the Spring rush and would like to take this time to thank everyone for

their patience in waiting for their orders to be completed.

This Spring, we were flooded with orders and at the same time, had some minor supply delays, as well as

a shortage of labor.

Things have settled down a little now, and we are back on an even keel.

Hence, I have had time to compile another sales notification for the summer.

SHIP2-1.jpg

Nay Matusalem, I did not get that one...I think th' last I got from them was close t' a month ago, just a "got some new stuff" type flyer I think.

I ordered a boarding axe th' same time as th' shoes 'n it came pronto. I do know there be a slight delay when ship'n weapons out'a Canada, I ha'e become used to that.....e'en when I ship CDs to a webmaster friend o' mine up there she says they always come "pre-opend" and 4 to 6 weeks later... B)

Matusalem; I just got home and, YUP, got me th' same message ye did from Loyalist!

See what I mean 'bout the Canadian Customs? E'en e-mail get scan'd, 'n it came pre-open'd t'boot!

...guess they did not want us Yanks get'n any cyber paper cuts 'n try'n t' sue them, Ay :unsure:

Matusalem; I just got home and, YUP, got me th' same message ye did from Loyalist!

See what I mean 'bout the Canadian Customs? E'en e-mail get scan'd, 'n it came pre-open'd t'boot!

...guess they did not want us Yanks get'n any cyber paper cuts 'n try'n t' sue them, Ay  :lol:

As someone who has dealt a grat deal with the other side of that coin, let me tell you, you guys have it easy!!!

Try getting something completely innocent and harnless through US customs.... Now that is when REAL trouble begins. 4 to 6 week delays and pre-oppenned packages would be a WELCOME releif compared to dealing with US customs. :lol:

I am very sorry to here that folks shoe orders have been delayed though... :unsure:

Michael_banner.jpg

Oh I don't think they be 'delayed', "around June" not necessarily mean "in June" ye knows, why July 'n August also be 'around June as well :P

Now I not ha'e much trouble get'n through US Customs; th' trick is to NOT look 'US', then they wave ye right through, perhaps e'en knock a few US folk on their arss' t' let ye buy infact! :ph34r:

I got me leather tankard from th' UK in just 3 or 4 week, got me handsome kukri blade from House Of Kukri what come in just 5 or 6 week 'n th' box not e'en open'd as far as I can tell.

Just remember; when ask's by US Customs if ye be a US Citizen, ALWAYS answer with "No" 'n they will back right off in an awful hurry! :ph34r:

The only problem I have had with customs is when the manufacturer marked my:

"Replica year 1720 swivel gun, 1.73 inch, black powder"

as

"44mm Cannon, complete"

By golly that slowed er down in customs fer a bit!

Once shipped, I "normally" get shipments from Loyalist in Canada, eh, to So. Cal in 2-3 weeks.

-Greydog

:ph34r:

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

See what I mean 'bout the Canadian Customs?

No MadL, it's the US Customs. I would bet that you could smuggle an elephant past Canadian customs and they wouldn't even notice.

I'm in the shoe business, and I have returned from Asia many times with samples of shoes by the bagful, and I get the 20 questions while under the hot lamp everytime. Once, I was held for 3 hours fo no reason at all ....just because US Customs likes to make people's lives miserable.

Never once had I ever had a problem in another country. Well, the Brits are kind of anal but they let me pass through.

SHIP2-1.jpg