Period Shoes

blackjohn

For those who are in the market for shoes, both Practical Goose and Loyalist Arms are close to offering us a period shoe. I've actually held the Practical Goose prototype in my hand. Loyalist has promised to send me pics as soon as they have theirs. So, if you are in the market for shoes, keep saving those pennies. You've waited this long. Now the wait is almost over.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't speak for the Practical Goose... But I did have a very long chat with the president of Loyalist about their upcoming possible line of shoes....

According to him, it is still too early in the game for them to give a solid price, but they are hoping to keep the shoes in the same ballpark price-wise as the Fugawees and/or Jarnigans (about $100 to $150). Again, please read carefully, this is NOT a price quote, this is an estimate based in the information he had when we spoke a handful of weeks ago. Things can and might change, and I am NOT a representative of Loyalist arms as well...

As for design, he said he was aiming for a squared toe with tall tongue and correct width latchet. I think that covers the basics to all I know.

Michael_banner.jpg

When I spoke to Blair at Loyalist (I remembered his name!) :huh:

He said that he was trying to set up a deal where his shoe manufacturer would distribute the shoes through the same importer that he buys his swords and bayonets through (or something like that). Basically, he was waiting to solidify that deal, AND get a large enough order of swords and/or bayonets built up (he has a minimum order to fulfill). Once he places his next sword/bayonet order, he will be receiving the test model for the shoes, and making the final decision to carry them or not.

That said, the shoes are to be a custom order item, and when (if?) they become available, their delivery time may be tied to the minimum orders of swords/bayonets. He also continued to state that on average, he places sword/bayonet orders approximately every three or four months (and of course that can and does change from time to time). I believe shoe orders (when he is ready to take shoe orders) are going to count towards his minimum order for swords and bayonets, but I might be wrong on that. He was guessing his next sword/bayonet order was going to be in March or April.

Blair also said, that while he would NOT be taking any pre-orders prior to all the details getting sorted out, he would appreciate the emails of any interested individuals to help him get a good idea of how well this product line would do for him. He seems committed to the idea of keeping all those who email him with serious interest in the loop and aware of what and when things are going to play out.

Michael_banner.jpg

For those who are in the market for shoes, both Practical Goose and Loyalist Arms are close to offering us a period shoe. I've actually held the Practical Goose prototype in my hand. ......

:huh:

And ye gave it back?!!?

What kind o' pirate are ye????

:huh:

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

This is obviously a tease! :huh:

So Eye am going to a shoe maker myself with the pic of the shoe from the Whydah to see wot can be done.. Eye found alot of sites offering "Period Buckles" for shoes and two do it yourselfers, but nothing in the way of pirate shoe wear.. Just alot of Jack Sparrow Bucket boots..

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

I would be careful with the "Period Buckles" thing. I haven't seen any yet that really are for GAoP as most suppliers are targeting F&I and Rev War re-enactors so their styles are larger and later in style.

But

I have the real deal. I had some made a while back and still have some. Both Brass and Silver finish.

GOF-1680-1720-1.jpg

They are sized for a 3/4" buckle which is good for 1690ish till the end of GAoP.

Check out my site, or PM/E-mail me if interested.

Shoes and Buckle Page

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

When I spoke to Blair at Loyalist (I remembered his name!) :lol:

He said that he was trying to set up a deal where his shoe manufacturer would distribute the shoes through the same importer that he buys his swords and bayonets through (or something like that). Basically, he was waiting to solidify that deal, AND get a large enough order of swords and/or bayonets built up (he has a minimum order to fulfill). Once he places his next sword/bayonet order, he will be receiving the test model for the shoes, and making the final decision to carry them or not.

That said, the shoes are to be a custom order item, and when (if?) they become available, their delivery time may be tied to the minimum orders of swords/bayonets. He also continued to state that on average, he places sword/bayonet orders approximately every three or four months (and of course that can and does change from time to time). I believe shoe orders (when he is ready to take shoe orders) are going to count towards his minimum order for swords and bayonets, but I might be wrong on that. He was guessing his next sword/bayonet order was going to be in March or April.

Blair also said, that while he would NOT be taking any pre-orders prior to all the details getting sorted out, he would appreciate the emails of any interested individuals to help him get a good idea of how well this product line would do for him. He seems committed to the idea of keeping all those who email him with serious interest in the loop and aware of what and when things are going to play out.

this comes at a good time, since well, the shoe fixer we took my otherhalf's shoes to basically rendered them useless unless we find a way to fix them! Please keep us posted on this. Can you pm me his info so I can contact him to be placed on the interested party list?

"It is more like I am transitioning from a pirate hobby to the pirate lifestyle"- me

pub_footer.jpg

For those who are in the market for shoes, both Practical Goose and Loyalist Arms are close to offering us a period shoe. I've actually held the Practical Goose prototype in my hand. ......

:lol:

And ye gave it back?!!?

What kind o' pirate are ye????

:lol:

Well, if I took the prototype, then there wouldn't be anything to base the new shoes off of, would there?

:P:lol:

And... I will admit I had been drinking a great deal of rum at the time... so it didn't even cross my mind.

;)

My Home on the Web

This is obviously a tease! :lol:

So Eye am going to a shoe maker myself with the pic of the shoe from the Whydah to see wot can be done.. Eye found alot of sites offering "Period Buckles" for shoes and two do it yourselfers, but nothing in the way of pirate shoe wear.. Just alot of Jack Sparrow Bucket boots..

Actually, no, it's not. As I said, I've held one prototype in my hand, and since this person sells shoes for ECW, I'm fairly certain they'll be available soon.

My Home on the Web

No, not a tease... I speant nearly an hour on the phone with the guy, we chatted about other things as well... But the topic of conversation did always swing back around to the shoes. While I haven't held anything physical, I am more than confident Blair from Loyalist was on the level....

To contact Loyalist about this... Visit their web site , and look for the email link there. I am uncertain if Blair emailed me from his personal email or his business one, so I am reluctant to just hand over his email. But I do know there are plenty of "Contact Us" links on the loyalist web site.

Okay, I even went to the web site and looked the email address up for you..

It is : loyalistarms AT hfx DOT eastlink DOT ca

Hope this helps. :lol:

Michael_banner.jpg

Just got a response from Loyalist!

Here is what they said:

We are still ironing out all the bugs, pricing, and details, but should have something definite in the next couple weeks.

Please feel free to pass this info. on to anyone you think may be interested.

Please bear in mind that these are our prototype shoes. There may be a couple of minor details that still need tweaking.

Also, the buckle will be different.

Loyalist version, sent over in email today...

lshoe2.jpg

LShoe1.jpg

lshoe.jpg

VERY nice!! they did state, to bear in mind, that there may be additional tweaking...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

My only questions regarding the Loyalist shoe posted above are as follows:

The latchet appears to be one sided. Rather than having 2 full latchets that wrap across the top of the shoe (overlapping each other as in GOF's shoe posted above), this looks to have a buckle fixed on a shorter strap at one side with a longer strap that folds across. This leaves the buckle off center. Also, if the buckle is attached to the short strap that leaves no easy way to change it out, should the wearer want a brass buckle, one of GOF's buckles or even to tie it off with cord.

All in all though, an improvement over many of the other inexpensive options available to those looking for a GAoP era shoe. Many thanks to those who have stayed the course in getting these shoes produced.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

They did make mention to us, as Jack already posted, that they would be changing the buckle... Hey GoF, you may want to contact them and be their buckle man...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

The buckle itself will be different, or the way in which the buckle is attached?

My question regards the apparent single strap, fix buckle arrangement. Not the width, design or material of said buckle.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

for those of you who have asked regarding the loyalist shoe, no they are not straight lasted but they said if enough of us wanted that they would take it into consideration...

Crewe of the Archangel

My only questions regarding the Loyalist shoe posted above are as follows:

The latchet appears to be one sided. Rather than having 2 full latchets that wrap across the top of the shoe (overlapping each other as in GOF's shoe posted above), this looks to have a buckle fixed on a shorter strap at one side with a longer strap that folds across. This leaves the buckle off center. Also, if the buckle is attached to the short strap that leaves no easy way to change it out, should the wearer want a brass buckle, one of GOF's buckles or even to tie it off with cord.

All in all though, an improvement over many of the other inexpensive options available to those looking for a GAoP era shoe. Many thanks to those who have stayed the course in getting these shoes produced.

I actually don't think that is out-of-period (although perhaps every reenactor having shoes like that is). If I recall correctly, some of the shoes recovered from the wreck of La Belle had one latchet with the buckle anchored to a short spur along the side. I believe you can view it in Figure 28, on page 256 of thesis Randolph-MA2003.

EDIT: Whoops! Too late.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Just in from Loyalist... both latchets are full length... the buckle was quickly placed ...accidentally off center, for a quick photo...

Crewe of the Archangel

Just catching back up to the thread...

If the latch comes in equal lengths, then you can do as you choose as far as cutting them down and such.

If you go with buckles instead of ties, once you establish the where the buckle is going, you don't really need the "extra" bit. That being said, leather will stretch a bit from waring so you might want to keep that in mine for buckle placement.

Here is a picture of a recovered shoe from Le Belle circa 1684

Belle-1686-BK-CL-ST-1.jpg

The buckles look to be regular rectangular buckles... I'd like to see pictures of the buckles themselves.

Shame they are right lefts.

That is because the shoemaker already has access to right left shoe lasts.

For the regulars here that recall the "Shoe Project" i tried to get together a few years ago, that was one of the major hurdles... having to incorporate the makers "last cost" into the shoe project.

If Loyalist supplier makes straight lasted shoes, then they have to make the straight lasts.... increasing costs.

I have almost come to the conclusion though that you can't really have a 100% correct shoe for under $300.

Everything under that is an exercise in managing compromises.

Not that there is a problem with that....

I'd love to see more photos (especially of the back of the shoe) before I commented further.... it does look interesting though.

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Those shoes would have been real nice to have by Pirate Con..

I have been wearing leather / rope sandles to get by. Eye never was into Sparrow bucket boots..Guess It be wise to ask to be put on the list. When I said tease I meant as if you could order them now as the impression I got from the original post.. I misread it . Apparently nothing is being marketed yet. When I saw GOFs web site..I really liked what I saw.. I compared the buckles to those offered on E-Bay which are rev-war...Then I looked at the source documents GOF provided a link to and did some further comparison..One buckle came close however is double latchet and is 1720's era so I will wait rather than have buyers remorse.

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

I have a question on this subject. GoF sent me a pair of his buckles for the secret santa thing. They are sweeet! I have a problem with anything pressing the bridge of my foot. Is it a proper thing to wear the buckles off-center? This is the only way I will be able to use them on my shoes. I am going to modify my Ligionaires with new latchets and bigger tounge if this will work out. They are already broken in and I don't need another pair of expensive shoes that I wear three or four times a year. Feedback?

Bo