Thomas Tew Rum

Matusalem

Matusalem, dear, you find the coolest things to post. Thanks I really enjoyed watching the youtube video. Great information.

:rolleyes::huh:

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

I'm not sure, but many years ago at a party someone brought some rum that was made from molasses and was sweet and really good....I know I was soused....

I don't think it was the Tew brand of rum, it was something else, it came from somewhere on the east coast. I'm not really a drinker, but this was good.... :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick history lesson; Yes, rum was originally made from mollasses in New england. The "Trade Triangle" was slaves from Africa to the Caribbean, molasses from the Carribean to New England, and rum from New England to Europe. Molasses was made from Carribean Cane sugar. I will have to try this out as I really like the sweet rums. Matusalem 10 year old and Ron Zacapa 23 yr. old are my two favorites.

http://www.missionliquor.com/Store/Qstore/...+80proof++750ml

Try these folks for on-line sales. I have alwys had good dealings with them.

Bo

• 2 months later...

Finally!....Lucky me, I was able to aquire a couple of bottles of Thomas Tew rum. The retail seems to be exclusively only in Rhode Island, probably because of limited production capacity. I had no problem finding this in Bristol, not far from Newport. The marketing concept and packaging is pretty cool. You can get the story here

....Haven't opened them yet so I can't tell you what it tastes like yet. Just to get you in the spirit with this spirit, I shot these pics on the shores of Narragansett bay:

TEW1.jpg

TEW2.jpg

TEW3.jpg

This was at low tide. In the puddles between the rocks were these small hermit crabs. perfect snacks for Bootstrap Bill while he's hiding in the ship's hold of the Black Pearl. Though a few years back I remember them being the size of a 25¢ gumballs, but thse were only the size of 10¢ gumballs

CRAB1.jpg

CRAB2.jpg

SHIP2-1.jpg

Cruzan's Black Strap rum is made the same way, but it's less sweet, more molassesey (is that a word?)

That Thomas Tew rum sounds great, though. I dropped them a note to see if there's a way to purchase it on-line, since I'm clear across the country from them.

RHJMap.jpg

Mats, I'm not sure what I envy more-- your access to this artisanal rum, or your lovely seashore!

Great photos -- very atmospheric! Rum & barnacles -- nothing more piratey than that!

My husband once brought me home a hermit crab in a jar of seawater, after visiting the west coast. Such a sweet, romantic gesture! But the poor thing smelt very bad when it died a few days later. :huh:

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

My husband once brought me home a hermit crab in a jar of seawater, after visiting the west coast. Such a sweet, romantic gesture! But the poor thing smelt very bad when it died a few days later. :o

I am so sorry to hear this!

Say, how is the hermit crab doing and have you started dating again?

-Greydog

<_<

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

Now, now, Greydog! The operative pronoun was "it" -- which I would never use to refer to Mr. H (no matter what he smells like)!

And while the sea critter has long since gone to hermit-crab heaven, Mr. H and I do still have date nights. <_<

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

Me humble apologies. T'was a natural mistake. Me wife refers to me as "it" in most situations. Naturally, I thought it be a term of endearment used by the fairer sex. I just wish she wouldn't point and use that word all at the same time, as it were.

-Greydog

<_<

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

I watched Michael Caine in Alfie recently, and he referred to his girlfriends as "it"! I noticed that Jude Law couldn't get away with that level of callousness in the remake.

But I'm sure Mrs. Greydog means it lovingly. <_<

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

:lol: .......Speakin' of New England and the Triangle Trade....A young lovely walked into my camp with some home-made maple syrup and told me ta mix it with light Barbados......Hooooh---Yahhhhhh......It's good......Go light on the Syrup though....Iron Hand :lol:
galleon_25235_th1.gif Iron Hand's Plunder Purveyor of Quality Goodes of questionable origins