wooden firebox??

Black Dog

Aye Dutch - saw that one. I have some books with all sorts of stuff on the topic. Most of the printed material I have gives detail on what they had after our period but ask this question - how much did food prep and preservation change over the next 20 - 30 years after the GAOP. Not much. They added iron stoves - may have been about it.

As to the rack for the barrel - an iron rack to hold the wood/ fire off the bottom of the barrel - reduces the contact of fire to dropped coals and ashes. The hottest part of the fire stays off any other surface. Essentially an iron box within the barrel. I old legged frying pan may work well for this - trying to remember if we have one in the chest.

Cookie

You can ner' have enough sand in yer stew.

i don't go in your chests. i just cuss as i push the heavy buggers out of the way as i pack the rest of the trailer. all i can say is if we ever need balast i know whats going first. i think i have an old square stand in the barn that was left behind we can cut to size.

Aye Dutch - just got word - we will have our brick this week some time. I have to get details on when they will be available.

Hope our stone cutter can do something on short notice.

Cookie

You can ner' have enough sand in yer stew.