Skull Watch

blackjohn

That's period!?!?

It's beautiful. Oh, if only I had more money than sense...or a rich benefactor...*sigh*

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Hey's this is Plunder, does it have to be?!?

:lol:

In concept, yes. This particular one looks a little more fancy than the one I have seen, and I'm not sure he claims it to be an exact reproduction.

He links to one that does look close.

http://www.taftmuseum.org/CC-Sept2002.htm

But in either case, I agree. Too cool for words.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Cool. Someone please go buy that for me. It goes with my character. :lol:

Actually, blackjohn, it is period (or close enough) and that was what amazed me. They liked cool skull stuff even then. (While I appreciate people who are absolutely intent on being period, I also appreciate "close enough." Truth be told, if you didn't buy something with a certification of date on it, I can't see where you're being truly period correct. And if you have done that, I can't see where you're being sensible. So call me a heathen - the sort of heathen who gets stuff that's close enough - I'd be happy to have a watch like that.)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

Heathen!

Just joking... but I'll never pass up a chance to call someone heathen.

:lol:

I understand. If it was an exact repro, down to the springs, it probably wouldn't keep good time.

:P

When I saw this one you were the first person I thought of...

http://watchismo.blogspot.com/search/label.../memento%20mori

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Hmm. Yes...I would have said the coffin was a bit of overkill, but the skull "feet" made me reconsider.

Still, not sure what I would do with that one...it's not really "pirate", so it wouldn't truly go in the pirate room and it's certainly not Key West, Delorean, Eagle or Engineering related. I have two undeveloped theme rooms to decide yet, but I'm leaning towards trains and Australia, so it wouldn't fit there, either. A fine piece with no home in my home. (I like the skull watch. Not only is it cool, it's cool with a potential GaOP pedigree.)

Dang those are cool! Does anyone know of anyplace making replicas or even "close enough" copies of these watches? I'd buy one of those replicas right now if they were available...I prefer a pocketwatch over a wrist watch any day...

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

That first link was to a place selling them... as it turns out not too far from where I work!!!

:P

Ah, yes, I see now, although that is far too expensive for my budget...lol

Lady Alyx, that is also a cool clip watch. Where did you find that one? :lol:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

Now that be worth a plunderin.

;)

Colors of the Sea Nymph

PirateFlagAxesig.jpg

"Let's drink a Damn to the Halter, lads, and them that lives to wear it"--Bartholomew Roberts

"You are a devilish conscience rascal, I am a free prince, and I have as much authority to make war on the whole world, as he who has a hundred sail of ships at sea, and an army of 100,000 men in the field; and this my conscience tells me: but there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure."--Sam Bellamy

Forty and three dollars, now that be a fair price ta be sure.

Colors of the Sea Nymph

PirateFlagAxesig.jpg

"Let's drink a Damn to the Halter, lads, and them that lives to wear it"--Bartholomew Roberts

"You are a devilish conscience rascal, I am a free prince, and I have as much authority to make war on the whole world, as he who has a hundred sail of ships at sea, and an army of 100,000 men in the field; and this my conscience tells me: but there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure."--Sam Bellamy