Where does one find Women's Shoes of the Period

Rumba Rue

Actually I was looking for a more fancy shoe, the kind one would wear to a Ball.

from my research the ones with the 2" heal where you use a ribbon to tie would work the best. I bought the Anna, from Fugawee. Buy 1/2 a size up and wide width- they are VERY narrow.

Here are some links to places with pictures where fancy ladies have shoes showing

http://www.marquise.de/en/1700/pics/1715_1.shtml

http://www.headoverheelshistory.com/1600.html

http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/index...f=&g=&a=161&w=2

http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/index...f=&g=&a=103&w=2

"It is more like I am transitioning from a pirate hobby to the pirate lifestyle"- me

pub_footer.jpg

Boy was I glad to see that this was a post about Women's shoes !!!

On the main forum page, this is what I saw.....

Jan 23 2008, 02:36 PM

In: Where does one find Women...

By: withoutaname

With the only part of the title showing, "Where does one find Women..." I was not sure where this might be going. :(

But if it is a Ball or dancing shoe that is being looked for, for some reason, I was always under the impression that for Fancy events like a ball, something called 'dance slippers' were worn, even sometimes by men.

But then, I am not sure on the period, but I believe that they were worn sometimes in Colonial days, such as at the Governor's ball at Colonial Williamsburg.

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

Boy was I glad to see that this was a post about Women's shoes !!!

On the main forum page, this is what I saw.....

Jan 23 2008, 02:36 PM

In: Where does one find Women...

By: withoutaname

I can help with that too, since joining the "Y" I have seen more nekkid woman in the ladies locker room than at strip clubs- so those looking for woman, that might be an option.

"It is more like I am transitioning from a pirate hobby to the pirate lifestyle"- me

pub_footer.jpg

Heysa, Rumba...

The main questions being:

1. How much are you wanting to spend on the fine shoes?

2. What size?

3. What type are you looking for?

Now, you generally answered #3 as your are looking for something to wear as though attending a Ball or a fancy Garden Party.

Another question is... How long will you be wearing them? Do you need inserts? Do you mind heels or would your perfer a flat? What activities will you be doing in these shoes?

Now, every once in a while, I do run across some shoes that would pass as 17th or 18th c and would make fancy party or ball shoes. I constantly look but currently don't buy anything as I haven't a large group to cater to... yet. But, I do keep my keen eyes open. And I'm aware that there is a market out there for folks looking for shoes that are cheaper and even some not of the black leather.

So... let me know what you are looking for/style, Rumba. What size, color, etc... and I'll keep my eyes open.

Otherwise, check here: Colonial Shoes by Costumes by Patti Jo

Hopefully that link will work for ya. They are the Colonial style shoes for women in black, white and bone. They are cheap but nice. I'd get a pair myself but they never seem to have a pair anywhere online that's a size 11. :(

AMasquerade has these shoes, too. But not the wider variety as Costumes by Patti Jo.

LOL... yes, goes to show you what I do when I'm desiring something in specific.

I've two expensive pairs of shoes - one from Jas Townsend and Sons the black leather ladies shoe and the bone white Martha style from Fugawee. And niether of them were cheap, that's the truth of it. And as we all know there are plenty of sutlers out there with shoes but they are not the cheap type ranging nigh $100 or more.

But I will still keep a look out for what you want. :)

~Lady B

:(

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

My biggest problem is my high arch which causes the top of my foot to be higher. That's why it's hard to find period shoes that will work for me. Plus I have a wide foot, size 9 the last time I bought shoes... uh sometime last year...I'm not a shoe buying gal.

I'm willing to go as high as $125.00. Looking for fancy black or possibly silver.

I took a look at Patti Jo's shoes, but I can tell you that the top of the shoe isn't roomy enough for the high arch of my foot.

If I can't find anything, I'll just use a pair of those flat Chinese shoes (I have them in dark red, purple and black).

You might find these too expensive (you probably will actually) but I'll post them here anyway.

The thing is, it's better to save longer and spend more on a shoe that will fit you perfectly, than to spend less on something not as good.

Anyway: Andy Burke's shoes:

http://www.andyburke.f2s.com/catalogue.htm

Sarah Juniper shoes: http://www.sarahjuniper.co.uk/

A girl on a costume community on livejournal actually went along with a pair of bridal shoes (but she was improvising on a different period) so that might be worth looking into.

I'm a boots type of girl myself so I'm afraid this is as much help as I can be, I hope you found it at least slightly helpful.

Hmmm... that is a dilemma, Rumba. :lol:

Well... Lemme think since you have high arches, perhaps a different form of colonial fancy shoe might work better as they are more like a slipper.

Lemme take a look around.

I did spot a couple shoes on eBay. a couple others were nice but were a size 8 and a half. These were black shoes, too.

Now, out of curiosity, would this type of style work better? These are on eBay, a bit more pricy and in need of buckles.... but they seems a little more let restrictive:

eBay; Vintage colonial style shoe

Now... I found last night at WalMart a shoe rather close to this:

vintage 18th c shoe

It had a short and very narrow heel, pointed toes and was rather flat and open atop the foot. It was black. I think there was a size 9. I'll double check.

~Lady B

:lol:

Not sure if you may be interested, Rumba. But I have these shoes I made a few years ago. They are black, a bit distressed, there is a heel to them but you can adjust the tongue and tie in front.

Here's a picture of the shoes:

shoes3.jpg

~Lady B

B)