• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hip hip huzzah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oops - my rennie came out.

way to go silkie! :lol:

~snow :D

with faith, trust and pixiedust, everything is possible ;)

if it be tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

IWG #3057 - Local 9

emmf steel rose player - bella donna, 2005

improv cast member and dance instructor - fort tryon medieval festival

lady neige - midsummer renaissance faire

I'm no longer a beginner but I am not considered an able bodied seaman either.

To sail we are required to do 40 hours of maintenance work per year. So far I have spent a few hours sanding, a few hours revamping illustrations for the training manual (that is still in progress), and painting things like line and a few metal things. This weekend I got to do some painting of a more creative kind.

Sea monster

Mermaid

This weekend comes the Merman and another Sea monster.

nice silkie

~snow :D

with faith, trust and pixiedust, everything is possible ;)

if it be tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

IWG #3057 - Local 9

emmf steel rose player - bella donna, 2005

improv cast member and dance instructor - fort tryon medieval festival

lady neige - midsummer renaissance faire

Nice job lady! Keep up the great work!! :huh:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

This week/weekend was spent in the ship yard and on the ship.

I went down on Thursday to finish up the painting of the merman and the second sea monster. The sea monster is done but the merman is being left to another. Luke, the ships steward has a fair hand with a paint brush, is always aboard and with my supervision should be able to do well. Problem is that the bosun has decided to redo the entire stern gallery! :D She is a woman obsessed. So EVERYTHING back there is being caulked, patched and repainted. All of that has to be done before the merman is attempted because the lines used to work there cut right across that carving.

Saturday we had our first sail! It was nice. We sailed the Christiana river. Well, I can't say we actually sailed. I believe the engine were on the entire time, but we did set and douse the sail (yes sail ...singular) and we set the tack and set it again as we turned. There was a "Man overboard" (MOB) drill and we actually launched the Zodiac (rescue boat) ...which is very much MOT PC but very light and efficient and was good practice for all involved. We had a full crew so things were rather easy. I am told that on the day & education sails we are often short handed and you do three times as much work. I'll let you know.

For now the two carvings that I finished lay in wait allowing the paint to cure. I, in the mean time am painting a medallion that adorns the center of the stern just above the door to the captains quarters (A place I so rudely keep traipsing through but ...I do not stay for the captains quarters are her private space and not a place to tarry).

Thursday I must go finish the medallion. Friday afternoon is the first Pirate Sail. I may go, I may not ...there will be others and I have garb to stitch for Blackbeard. Additionally, I seem to have damaged my hip and am limping ...so I may not be able to sail on Friday anyway!

I am told that on the day & education sails we are often short handed and you do three times as much work. I'll let you know.

This is often true with tall ships. When I was learning to sail the Lady Washington, right after the 4th of July activities (and still my first week aboard - with no training previously), most of the crew left. We had 4 people onboard, including the Captain! There was a lot of running around, but it was also a great way to learn the lines...FAST! A 'full' crew is 12, and there is usually at least 8, so we were down to1/2 to 1/3 strength. It was a lot of fun, though.

Coastie :o

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Pearl ...find a tall ship ...they will train you and let you volunteer as much as you want even without a formal program.

Now for those who are interested here are two of the carvings finished:

Mermaid & Sea Monster

If you want more of them here are some details of each:

Mermaid Detail

She is more of a mustard gold than a "skin tone" The background color is called "Kalmar Nykel Gold"

Sea Monster Detail

This medallion hangs center on the stern:

Medallion

It looks so much better without all that glare. In fact ...I think the water at the bottom looks darned FANTASTIC ...too bad it hangs 10 feet above the stern deck and the closest most will be to it is about 40 feet. Oh well ...I know it was well done ...even in 10 years when someone else is repainting it! :huh:

Now for those who are interested here are two of the carvings finished:

Mermaid & Sea Monster

If you want more of them here are some details of each:

Mermaid

Sea Monster

I hope people really appreciate how phenomenal this really is. I'm glad the state of Delaware is so generous to afford us all an opportunity like this.

SHIP2-1.jpg

Pearl ...find a tall ship ...they will train you and let you volunteer as much as you want even without a formal program.

Silkie,

The problem is here on the west coast is there is no formal classes. They train volunteers over a series of weeks. I don't live near the coast. I live in Arizona, so I would need a definitive compact class schedule in order to complete the program. I could volunteer the 40 hours a month by putting in a long weekend, but I can't be there for several weeks in a row to do the training. I would even be willing to pay to take a two week class. (Pretty desperate, huh?)

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Well the Nykle has a free class in June but you still need to do 40 hours of maintenance work so I'm guessing that won't help either. :huh:

Problem is that no one settled there from the old country without first coming here. The Kalmar Nykel brought settlers here before settlers were brought to Plymouth rock. lol

Free class in June, you say? How long does the class last? Like I said, I can still do the 40 hours if I can make it a long weekend. Alas, I have heard of sailors here on the west coast going back east to take classes. Just taking the class would be worth the money and effort.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.