Silkies on the Kalmar Nykle

Silkie McDonough

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am posting from the ship. We have limited access to the internet. I Arrived too late for the sail yesterday ...no one warned me of "shore traffic" All the vacationers and weekender's traveling on one road ...well ...I missed the afternoon sail.

We slept on deck last night ...well most of us did. Captain, First Mate & the Steward are so use to it they just sleep below. Sleeping on deck was great ...only problem was the biting flies. Not too bad after using the bug repelant.

Today was grand! It was a pirate sail and in addition unfurling two sails (the wind was barely a breeze) I was asked to read the pirate story! ;) It is the children's book "How I Became a Pirate". I had a blast doing that. I need to work on my pirate skills and my knowledge of the ship so that I can entertain. I would like that very much.

The air is still tonight ...hot and sticky, even sleeping on deck msy be tough.

Woot! Cooled off. Boy was I glad I had something to cover myself.

Today was a beautiful day for a sail. We had the Fore and Main Tops'l top Sprits'land the Sprits'l! I also got to steer the ship. It is a 1638 Dutch Pennece so it has a whipstaff rather than a wheel. It is harder than one would think. You can't depend on the compass because it is a big ship and it turns slowly. you have to use a point of reference ...which even near land isn't very easy, but I got the hang of it quickly and I enjoy it.

Wee had a MOB drill. we don't usually have passangers when we have drills but this years 2 week class is going on so ...we did it. These kids know more than I do. <_<

We had a full crew also, makes easy work when heaving lines. What a wonderful day! The sun was hot but the wind was cool and all the sails create some very nice shade! B)

As we got closer to the docks I was assigned to set up the "gift shop". I don't mind getting the cake jobs but I it is because I am less healthy than the others ...so ...next year I will be fit and will be able to become certified as a climber!

So that is it for now. Next sail scheduled for me ...the voyage from Provincetown MA to Martha's Vinyards. Leaving 8/30

Oh! I almost forgot. Boats arrived at the Götheborg ans was told she would be working as the First Mate ...24 hours to learn the entire ship. Knowing Boats she didn't need half that time. Boats will be learning all the commands in Swedish ...considering the original KN set sail from the city's of Kalmar and Nykel in Swedish and we have "Swedish" sails we are a little concerned that she will want to use those commands! <_<

• 3 weeks later...

Did you ever ask them about PiP?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• 4 weeks later...

I asked. :wub: The ship is out of service then, Yards & masts may be removes. Running rigging is all in the rigging loft, sails in the sail loft. Winter time is maintenance time for the KN. Scraping, painting, caulking, improving, training, and on and on and on. Add to it that it is just after the end of the season we would be sailing durring the season. Additionally many of our volunteers are teachers & students, that can't get time off.

However ...I shall be pestering them about of it for years to come ...maybe some day.