Hampton Blackbeard Pirate Festival '08

yea exactly, Read this

controlled growth is needed. If anyone new is added, they are usually found in previous years attending. This is the case with a crew i'm helping now. One of their crew was remembered from a couple of years previous by one simple attire piece and a picture. Period is good,

that would lead me to believe that it dosen't matter how good you are or how good your group is, you gots to do some major ass kissing to someone who thinks there black bear himself I guess. . . .

controlled growth, if I were running a festival I'd encourage as many historical groups as humanly possible and not play highschool cheerleader sleep over about it. . .

I saw some hesitation when black john enquired about coming ,, I'd definitly be all for them coming, and not having to prove that they've been there before. . . . I don't even think they got a go. . . .

I guess someone got picked on in childhood. . .

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still not seeing it ...let me go back and read again.

I read it again. I didn't get any of the negativity you are attributing to it.

I have attended 2 years. Year one I was not 100% PC but was invited behind the ropes and learned allot. Year 2 I worked with a sutler, I was PC but had no time to "play pirate" although after hours I was once again permitted "behind the ropes" for the evening entertainment around the camp fire. All seem to be very welcoming and accommodating. All were more than happy to share information and aid in my slowly improving kit.

I still think there is a misunderstanding due to internet communications ...tis the nature of this media. Flinter5, perhaps you and bbcddutchman should shoot a few PM's back and forth to clear things up.

Oh my, i step away for a day and it seems there is a misunderstanding of some sort. flinter5 please pm me.

all are indeed welcome its just a matter of not enough room in the camp for those who wish to participate. there are no stitch counters, we simply try to put on a good show following a story line from history. face it, we all do the best we can. there are six different ways to do things - its the end result that counts.

-dutch

I saw some hesitation when black john enquired about coming ,, I'd definitly be all for them coming, and not having to prove that they've been there before. . . .

Well... having been there, I understand the space limitations and the need to keep track the who and the where. Events are balancing acts. Especially festival type events, and the right mix is needed to get the job done. Planners need to consider the amount of room and who will be occupying it doing what. I seem to recall hearing that they've moved it from the little plot of land wedged between and parking lot and the water, where space was severely limited, to another space. But whatever plot of land it was moved to can't be that much larger, so again, I understand the need to keep an eye on how many pirates are taking up how much room. It makes sense, and I can see how bbcdductchman would be hesitant.

I'd like to go back to Hampton, meet a few of you who I've never met before, and drink a round or two with you, so any hesitation on my part is only due to the fact that so many events are vying for dates in May and June.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Personally, I love the set up (and enjoy helping where I can) and learning how I can go about being a more realistic pyrate without sacrificing actual people (hurts the magazine when you go about plunging a hook into perspective subscribers).

With pirates and pyracy continuing to grow in popularity (I've seen huge upsurges in subscriptions and those attending pirate events), it's always a tightrope between what's good for the event and what's REALLY good for the event.

This will be my third year attending the Blackbeard Festival and my second as a vendor. Although the event is incredible, it's those involved that keep me coming back. A professional, courteous, attitude is all I've ever come up against. . . and many of the crew I now call friend.

If you've not been, you MUST go, even if it's just for the day instead of staying over. It's worth it just to see a line of signal cannons fire around the harbor and see some pirates knocked into the water during live ship duels.

Thanks for kind words regarding our event Black Fox, Black John, and Silkie.

It is always a pleasure to see you at the festival and look forward to seeing you this year. The festival this year is going to grow some more some new things are in the planning. I will share them as soon as they are firmed up.

Your Humble Servant

Cap'n Pern

To all who may be interested,

I take a bit of offence from anyone who is making assumptions about our festival in Hampton if you have never been. As the former director of the festival and a member of Blackbeard's Crew, who has managed the historic interpretation, it is important for visitors and guests to understand our point of view. The members of Blackbeard's Crew are dedicated to the accurate representation of life in Hampton in 1718 - we may be accused of being preachy, but I do not hear people calling Colonial Williamsburg or historic Jamestowne or Yorktown preachy - both of which are within an arm's throw.

All visitors and guests are welcome to come experience what we believe to be the most authentic pirate experience when it comes to festivals - no matter how you are dressed. This being said, we do have space limitations in our small town and we do have some "authentic" areas of our festival which "ren" or hollywood inspired pirates are going to be excluded from.

I hope folks will take the time to review the comments of those who have been to our festival before jumping to conclusions

Bf

Billy Flynt

Blackbeard's Crew

Master of Events

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. " - Mark Twain

• 2 weeks later...

:lol: Now for some fun - how many cooks are coming? I be cook - food poisoner - for Blackbeard's Crew, if you will. I hope we get to play this year as Sunday was to be our demo day last year - damn storm. Anyway - for anyone who will be there and is going to be cooking at our camp fire - let me hear from you. I am hoping to get some things in place to help make certain things are kept clean and easy this year. I have been told the location and set up of the fire pit will be much different this year - hope to see the plans soon meself I do. I need to get an idea how much wood to gather! Anyone have an accurate recipe for labscouse?

see everyone there, ;)

Cookie

aka Willie the rumrunner ;)

You can ner' have enough sand in yer stew.

1¼ hours 10 min prep

Change to: servings US Metric

corned beef

potatoes

1 large onion (chopped)

salt

pepper

butter

milk

1. Use pound for pound corned beef to potatoes (ex. 1 lb corned beef and 1 lb potatoes) wash off any seasoning on corned beef, use any juice on a none seasoned corned beef in the boiling water.

2. Figure 20 minutes per pound for cooking.

3. Cook at a low boil, high boil will produce a tough roast.

4. Boil beef with salt and pepper until half way through cooking time.

5. Remove meat. Cut off the fat and dispose; dice meat into small pieces and put back into pot.

6. Wash, peel, and dice potatoes; add to the pot, along with the onion and continue to low boil until potatoes are done.

7. Be careful not to over cook potatoes.

8. Drain well over a large bowl to reserve juices.

9. In another large bowl mash potatoes and beef adding milk, butter, and salt and pepper to taste.

10. If additional liquid is needed, you can use some of the reserved "pot liquor" instead of more milk.

11. **TIP** For breakfast; fry up some like hash and have with eggs.

12. Its great!

Is this the sort you were looking for???

;):o:o Ahoy Gunner,

Will ye be joining us this year? Would you be setting up your booth again?

I am hoping at our next meeting we will get more details about camp set up. I do know things will be laid out differently than last year.

As for the recipe - what I have is with corned beef, salt pork, onions, turnips, carrots I think??, and various spices including juniper berries. It starts out all boiled together then minced and turned into hash. The last thing added mentioned fried eggs on top.

I heard you know a bit about roasting whole goats - we need to talk.

Cookie :o

ummm callenish- there is no measurement of sand . . . . .how can we possibly have a festival without our daily allotment of sand in the victuals??????? cookie, can i put in for an order of mashed nips to go?? for those who have not experienced that one , they are terrible- you won't like them- pass me yours and i'll take care of it.

oh fox, no tats here-pure nips!! the night cookie provided them for a meeting we were fighting over the pot. soak a couple of ships biscuits with it and you're on to something!!! problem is you have to pace yourself, otherwise you end up with a terrible belly ache.

anyhow on to the festival. fox bring your camera!!!! projects are being worked on. things are being added, moved, and tweeked. rumors are in the wind and i hope to be able to confirm a few and share some news within a week or so.

silkie asked about the saturday night sing.

each crew or talented individual (which i am not) performs, round robin fashion, what ever they like as long as its relatively period and family friendly- sorry, no good ship venus or seven drunken nights (well maybe the first three nights).

i'll have more info later. this may be changing a bit from the past.

Aye Gunner - we do have to watch Dutch for drooling these days. These young dogs need a bit more training they do. If'n we has a good raid - aaa errr - trading venture between now and then I may be looking for a blunderbuss - eyes not what they used to be. Leave the sharpshooting to Headshot Jones - one of our new recruits. Gunner - bring your recipes with you Mate - I am hoping to steal some new ideas to torture the crew with.

mashed nips - cut up the nips, boil them till soft with bacon/salt pork in the water, mash'm with butter, salt, pepper, if ashore add cream nicked from the local dairyman - stay away from big nips - they get tough and bitter

try to stay warm - its supposed to hit 17 here tonight - it was around 60 earlier today

have a happy,

Cookie

I can add a little bit more to keep you chomping at the bit.

We are looking for Militia to man the waterfront docks to protect the ships from the pirates that will be invading. Also a Dock Master. PM me with ideas.

An additional skit on Friday afternoon on the docks before the Grand Pirates Ball.

The Mill Point Park Stage will become the Bunch of Grapes Tavern for the weekend. Complete with Bar serving Goslings Black Seal and Ale. The period Dinner Saturday night will take place at the Bunch of Grapes Tavern. There will be a colonial gaming table and tables to sit and eat inside the tavern.

The encampment will be larger. Plans for the encampment are underway.

Small boat battle up the river near the stage.

I will add more as the plans become more solid.

Your Humble Servant.

• 2 weeks later...

Aye, 'Pern, (and the rest 'o 'e scurvy dogs)..Just a little over sixty days for us aboard, ('tis an eleven day excursion for the ship, wot with sailing time both ways)....We are definitely tuggin' on the mooring lines!....If'n 'e would, please....make sure the 'local' ancorage folks know that there will be CANNONFIRE!....( we had a very confrontational fellow last year, hopefully none this time)......We'll be orderin' up more powder this week or next...unfortunately, we'll only be sportin' carronades, as the swivelgun was absconded in Canada last year...

-_-

royaliste,

pern is teaching this week- not sure if he'll be checking the boards. were the "locals" dock side or anchored out? if they were dockside, where were they in relation to you. I'll pass it along to pern and scott asap. be ashame for a floating clorox bottle to be covered in powder. just think getting a prime slip next to the pirates and complaining about noise!!!!

-dutch

Actually, it was all a bit bizarre;..I was away at the dockside head, and he first came ashore in a kayak from his 'bleach bottle'..I guess a somewhat 'permanent anchor-out'..Anyway, first he came ashore and jumped in my wife's(Cap'n Kat; 100 ton master) face and she wanted to hear no part of it, since we are always good about yelling 'fire in the hole', with a countdown....he returned and with me knowing nothing about it, thought he wanted a piece of me, since I fired the cannon..and he wasn't gonna even get a chance to get in Kathy's face again, so it was an ugly shouting match....Backing up, I guess he came out of the blue in the aforementioned kayak, and it scared him.....Welcome to a pirate festival, says I.... :lol: ...anyway, it's not our policy to be confrontational..and, it's a strange person anyway that comes to pick a feud with a shipload of cannons, blunderbuss, pistols, etc.....

:lol:

odd, boy he had to go way out of the way since you were inside on the finger pier last year. Not a problem. that is a scott issue and is being passed along as i type. unfortunately a complaint like that cannot be stopped but we can make darned certain you won't have to deal with it. some people are going to complain no matter what. thanks for letting us know about it. I only have one thought though... if he came ashore from his bleach bottle . . .would his production kayak be a bottle cap??(sorry long day, not enough sleep)

FYI pub members- a "clorox/bleach bottle" is how wooden boat owners refer to some production line fiberglass boats (sail or power) that looks like any other production line boat. Don't worry, fiberglass owners have wonderful names for us woodies as well.