Hampton Blackbeard Pirate Festival '08

Anyone object to my using what pictures I can to create another surgeon's journal on my website?

If so, I don't think there are quite enough yet, so if other folks would share and permit me to use them... :lol: (More pics of the modern boats and all their silliness, the Bone Island Buccaneers, some night shots if anyone has them, pics of the battles, a pic of bcddutchman, a pic or two of cutter (the Blackbeard Crew's surgeon) and the one picture I know was taken of me with Mary and Scarlett Jai by a woman in Blackbeard's crew (whose name I didn't get - she was short and thin with blond hair) would be particularly welcome.)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edward and I made it home safe and sound. A little battered and bruised but mostly in one piece. "My feet are another matter all together". :rolleyes:

I would like to thank everyone in Blackbeard's crew for their kindness and hospitality. My rum soaked brain can't find enough words to adequately express my appreciation for all the hard work that went into making this a truly wonderful experience. Looking forward to seeing you all next year.

To the crew of the Archangel, what more can I say but I love and miss you already.

Kate, you are very welcome for the hat.

:ph34r::lol:;)

Lily Alexander

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

2 missed trains and one delayed 3 and a half later I finally made it home by about 1:30am on Tuesday (I was to be home on Monday at about 2:00 PM).

I have so much to say, including but not limited to My FEEEEEEEEET It was helpful that I made a pair of shoes out of a pair of rubber soles. Not as pretty as the others but much more comfortable!

Thanks to Blackbeards Crew for their warm welcome and hospitality. I have been going to the festival three years now and I can say that this year was the most memorable and enjoyable.

Much more later.

Anyone object to my using what pictures I can to create another surgeon's journal on my website?

Once I get mine uploaded, Mission...you are welcome to indulge yourself in what ever pictures you fancy!

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

It was great to see Haunting Lily, Edward O'Keefe and Silkie at the event. I'm glad that you all made it home safely.

I think the next time Bess appears with the crewe of the Archangel, she'll be bringing a foot salve with peppermint to cool and easy the ache of our feet!

Silkie, always a pleasure my dear and I next time we are together, you must sing some more!

Lily and Edward - twas a treat to finally meet you both. I enjoyed our chats and hope that their will be many more...

Gearing up for Port Washington now...Sleep!!! I need Sleep!

Member of "The Forsaken"

Hi and thanks to everyone who contributed to making this years Blackbeard Festival the best ever.

And I finally got to meet some the Pyracy folks, after chatting and posting so long.

Matts cutlass I purchased was truely one of a kind and I really had no choice, but to buy it, lest it wind up in one of you swabs hands!

Matt, the Hellion has one rule, when Hellion does well , all hands do well.

We sold out of CDs by mid Sat afternoon!

On behalf of The Brigands, ( Al, Erik, Brett and Kevin) we hope you all enjoyed our music, and we hopes to see ye all next year

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

(Dutch pokes his head above explorers freeboard wondering what ran him over- then remembers blackbeard 2008 and rum........)

a hearty well belayed to all of our new and old friends who joined us this year. the scuttlebut i'm getting from the suttlers and performers has been outstanding. For the first time in a few years, the festival did not see rain, but we did make it through two storm warnings. The only things canceled were the fireworks and the longboat for part of saturday- but we made up for that with a gunfight under the bridge. Quite loud i'd say. As far as the crews go, i don't think we have had such a grand time in a while. As heard from quite a few " i don't think i've ever worked so hard and had this much fun." or "wow, you put this much effort into all your shows!!!"

If anyone had any problems (i know two follow-ups are coming- please don't forget them guys), concerns or ideas on how to make this a better event next year, please PM me so we can make it happen.

and now for the rest of the story...... A few of us remained in camp sunday night to pack and clean on monday. All I can say is much to the amazement of some first time rowers on the Explorer, yes whitecaps can form on the Hampton River. Our sunset cruise with reparian entertainment quickly turned into a sleighride and mad dash round the point- the windshear died as suddenly as it hit. And for the evening entertainment........ well maybe someone else should explain the rules of strip scuttlehatch?

On behalf of Blackbeard's Crew thank you all for making this the best festival yet and leaving us scratching our heads to top this for our TENTH ANNIVERSARY next year!! HUZZAHHH!!!!

Cheeky that would be Explorer not Expedition... you rowed around in her enough, you should know.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

(Barely opening her eyes)....

I shall correct this Captain....mind you, I am NOT a Pyrate nor a Seafaring Captain such as yourself...

All I know is I GOT TO SAIL UPON IT!!!! I'm happy waving to the middle-sort upon the docks and hanging on for dear life while you and the others rowed about.

Member of "The Forsaken"

Seems everyone got some great shots of the lovely Mary Diamond. We got some great shots as well. I am hurrying up to make some more swords for the Kentucky ren fest and then the Mag crew and I are off to John's Pass for the weekend.

I will do my best to get the pictures that we are going to publish sorted and the rest up online before we leave.

Once again thanks so much to the members of this forum. Last year we went and set up in he cove but we didn't know to many people. This year we were in a much more hidden area and we had sooO many friends stop by or stop us while we were out and about. Can't say enough about this group here. Fine crew I say!

A huge thank you from everyone at Pirates Magazine,

1stMateMatt

P.S. I will drag Mike our managing editor here and get him to sign up so you all can get to know him and him you.

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

Ahoy mates,

On behalf of the Bone Island Buccaneers, thank ye all fer a wonderful weekend. We truly enjoyed ourselves and were most impressed by yer fine festival.

We was most pleased to meet Blackbeard's Crewe. The scuttlebutt does ye no justice, mates, as positive as it be. Thank ye fer yer generous hospitality and the good merriment we shared. It were also our pleasure to face off once again with the Archangels, ye blasted hunters and harassers. Papers, eh?! It'll take more than parchment to keep ye safe once we sees ye back in our waters! ARRR.

Fair winds and full holds to all,

Scarlett Jai

PS:

http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/ll156/m...06-01-08033.jpg

Is their any sight finer than a woman cleaning her weapons?

Michael and Kate...

This has got to be my all time fav!

Love the Look on Lob's Face too...didn't know what hit 'im!

Ya know cheeky.... Lob is generally a fairly unlucky monkey... That kiss is probably the only "good" thing that has ever happenned to him! :P

Michael_banner.jpg

Well, as Lily posted earlier, we made it home safe & sound. I wanted to chime in with a few thoughts of my own.

First, Capt. Pern and all your crew....I know I've thanked you several times but it bears repeating. You truly know how to make a newcomer welcome, and I'm already looking forward to next year.

Capt. Sterling....Thank you for opening you camp to us, cant wait to do it again.

Callenish....It was a pleasure meeting you, and I love my new 'buss .

Duchie....No hard feelings.

Bone Island....Who marked me the second time Sunday night, I didn't find it until laundry time today.

Anyone who missed it....Mark your calenders for Blackbeard 10.

Edward

Ah, the PC rum seems to have found it's mark everywhere, eh??...We even flew the logo during the battle sail sunday....We had a lock malfunction that put one of the three carronades portside out of commission, but...things went well otherwise. Twas a fuuur piece to where the ship was located, causing adult pirates not to find it, but despite the competition from the jumping rooms, the kids found us!!....Here's to next year, hopefully, we'll be in the vicinity again....Presently, we're laying over for the night in Deltaville, sailing under squares all day from Hampton as we work our way up the Chesapeake, and onward to NYC......See all 'ya'all again....

:P

ROYALISTE Square Sails, and Tall Tayles.....

For those of you who have never traveled in garb, I would highly recommend you try it at least once. I did so this weekend ~

Well aware of weight and baggage restrictions, I packed only the necessities ~ the Queen Ann’s and their care, smallsword, ballgown and shoes, camping gear, toiletries, sewing kit, jewel box and coin, and a few other key items. All of which put me within .5 lb of the $100 over-weight surcharge, and with no room to pack my riding habit or a change of clothes.

Flying through O’Hare, Washington DC/Dulles and Norfolk airports in full garb may not immediately sound very promising, but, I must say, it does have its benefits. The fact that you are packing 2 flintlocks and a sword is almost secondary. And the comments (and stories!) you receive range from the common to the most complimentary and amusing.

Most frequently heard question: “So, are you from Williamsburg?”

From a lady 2 rows ahead of myself, as we waited to deplane: “So, you like to fit in when you travel?”

And, from a businessman at O’Hare: “I love your attire.” (thank you) “Do you always dress like that?” (no) “You should.” (happy smile)

One lady who approached me shared this story: Her husband owns a shipyard in Ocracoke, and a friend of theirs plays Blackbeard. A group of schoolchildren was being given a tour of a trawler when Blackbeard (in civvies) stops by to visit. The husband quickly inquires if his garb is in his car (it is), so Blackbeard is quickly dressed and hidden in the trawler. As the trawler leaves dock with the children for a cruise, they are told all manner of stories (some true, some, well, not so much…), getting them truly lathered up. By now, the trawler is well away from land ~ and Blackbeard bursts from the hold below! firing his pistols and waving his sword, roaring and raising a great commotion. The children, she said, were quite scared and rather thrown off by it all. The best part of it ~ they were High School age.

And, while my muff was not of much use in the heat of the day, it served as an excellent pillow at night, rum-runner for Blackbeard’s ball, and soothing companion/impromptu infant bed for an exhausted baby on the interminable flight home.

I would like to offer my most sincere Thanks to the wonderful crewe and organizers of Blackbeard’s ~ Captain Pern, your compliments remain a constant cheer to me. Dutchie, thank you for your training and concern for our welfare ~ I would be honored to be at the oar for you again. To Cookie ~ thank you for the victuals, which were most pleasing to the palate (those who know me know I am a distressingly picky eater).

My dear Bone Island Bucanneers ~ you are too far away. Please do what you can to install a wormhole from my door to yours. Until then, my fondest regards ~

And to my excellent Archangel crewe and associates ~ you are family, friends, and missed. I look forward to the next event with you… Oh, look! It is only 3 days away! HUZZAH!

YHS,

Mary Diamond

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

ah bless you mary diamond. it was our pleasure to meet all you fine folks. i did not realize you had travelled dressed out. what an effort in your own right- thankyou for enduring that.

we do indeed have fun in our little corner of the ocean and are just glad to be able to share it with others. I thoroughly enjoy working the Explorer and we are so thankful the musueum lets us give lessons on her. Its fun when the museum opens it up, but when we get to do it for other living historians it takes on a whole new life. rumor has it there may be a third longboat next year- oh the scheeming going on in my twisted little mind.

well this weekend will find me aboard again for a jaunt 17 mile stretch out to tangier island. Inspired by mary diamonds travels I shall work the weekend dressed out and staying aboard- john smith style.