Hampton Blackbeard Pirate Festival '08

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tis never too far off. I'm the pressgang master for Blackbeard's Crew, responsible for spreading good will and cheer (wait, holidays are over).

Anyhow, I'm the crew's contact here on the pub-what information ya be looking for? The waterfront hotel is filling quickly so plan accordingly.

The festival has its sails set and filling fast with old and new friends. Some pleasant additions and changes are in the works. Rumor has it one of the additions is . . . . .well, i just can't say yet!!!

-dutch

What be the name of the waterfront hotel there, sir? We be bringing a small contingent from the Floridas.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

hotels within 5 miles that you would not mind leaving your grandmother in

radisson (sits in the festival grounds)

1-757-727-9700

holiday inn, hampton hotel & convention center

1-757-838-0200

embassy suites

1-757-827-8200

campgrounds

Newport News parks

1-757-888-3333 (tis a real number, i checked)

yeah those are the dates, we had to bump up a week to avoid harborfest.

blackjohn, i have passed your picture and a couple of the crew think you have been in our waters before. pm me please with details

for anyone interested in attending . . . it depends on what you would like to do, anyone can attend the event and all are welcome!!!. this ranges from shorts and POTC tee's to GAOP with anything goes in between. (including those renfaire bucket boots). Don't forget your finest for the grand ball friday night. there is lots to do and see, the entire downtown waterfront is shut down for the event.

now participating is a whole different ball of wax. The period crews do the battles and encampment. To maintain the integrity at our end of the event, controlled growth is needed. If anyone new is added, they are usually found in previous years attending. This is the case with a crew i'm helping now. One of their crew was remembered from a couple of years previous by one simple attire piece and a picture. Period is good, interacting with the crowd is king- remember, you never know who is watching you!!!!!

if i can help anyone with any information, suggestions or guidance please don't hesitate to chime in.

-dutch

I seem to recall my crew and I having been there...

Once

(that's the very first one, don't ya know)

or Twice

:lol:

I'll hit you with an email... and... before I do that, I'll see if my crew is even interested. There are, as usual, a ton of events all trying to fit themselves in to that middle of May and through to June timeslot. It may very well be that the crew would want to do something else.

Yrs&c,

Blackjohn

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Well, seein' as how 'if's' are flying around, 'if' we bring the ship again this year, we'll be a bit short crewed compared to last year. Methinks instead of last year's eight, we'll be more like four,so..we may need to pressgang a few to help work the crowd; tattoin' and such...perhaps the rain will hold off and not hamper the fireworks this time....

B)

Well... IF you are there and IF I am there I WILL bring you a big stack of nautical charts, hot off our presses. And some coast pilots for the East Coast too, if you like. I'm always happy to help out a sailor in need of charts.

B)

My Home on the Web

so..we may need to pressgang a few to help work the crowd; tattoin' and such...

Gary and Cathy, you know I'll help out wherever I can. You won't have to knock me over the head with a belaying pin. B)

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

bbcddutchman,

Our group "Crewe of the Archangel" has a strong background with interaction with the public.

We love working with the 'family' venue and have several skits that give the public entertainment along with some historical information. Mixing both is what we do best.

If interested, please contact Captain Sterling...(if this has not been done thus far) and look at the link below my portrait for additional information.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Charts?....Did someone mention charts??....we are always in need of charts ( we ran short last year, and did the Gulf of St. Lawrence thru Quebec with a road atlas!)......

Sully, We'd enjoy a visit, it's been a while,eh?...All in all, 'tis a ways off, and first we must see if the ransom flies.....bloody pirates!

B)

ah blackjohn, indeed you have been!! HUZZAH!! course being a plank owner as it was!! Of course it was mentioned to the jolly ol' rogue hissef and he says well yeah- why didn't you guys ask me first. Seems the rest of us are pups compared to him. E-mail me please. BTW- can you count me in on some charts too?

Gary, seems you have lots of offers for crew and that helps us as we have no room for folks who want to participate periodly and such. Indeed a winning situation- yes?

Cheeky, I know you love a party and all. Cap'n and I have already exchanged pleasantries.

Aye, it could be grand for all, but...'tis a wee premature for me to speak up. Hopefully, the powers that be will agree to the meager ransom, and the fun will be on again!.....We love those who care to 'put up' with interacting with the crowd, as it is sometimes very taxing, shall we say? and, since no matter whether it be 'period correct', or outright flagerant, it still ends up being a lot of children wanting tattoos, touchy-feely with the weapons,etc...No matter where we've been around North America, Royaliste has always been receptive to anyone seeking a spot to 'be a pirate' and enjoy the public at the same time...We did all of the US and the Canadian Maritimes,plus the Great Lakes with our 'bleachbeard' skull hung somewhere aboard, so mebbee we'll revive 'im again this year!( we figured that after this long at sea under the bowsprit, 'e weren't 'black' anymore,eh?)......

B)

ROYALISTE Still Sailin', Still Dreamin'

I wish that instead of Bumping this event "up" from Harborfest, they would bump it back a week or two to mid to late June. Kids are still in school ( end of may/early June) and its hectic that time of year.

I would also like to know why "the same weekend" as harborfest is viewed as a bad thing. In 2000, with opsail 2000, Harborfest, and Hamptons' Blackbeard festival all at the same time, it was sheer bliss from VA Beach to Williamsburg.

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Hmm....Methinks 'e been smokin' incense,or sumpthin :huh: ......'Revenge' posted the dates straight off me contract offer, so I think they be accurate. Hell, this ain't e'en my turf, but....Last year, there wuz three ships involved, MekaII,Royaliste, and Kalmar Nyckel...All three ofthem(us?) participated in 'Sail Virginia', which was much larger than Opsail, and overlapped 'Harborfest'. So....if they (Harborfest and Hampton) overlapped, ye'd ne'er have any ships, mates........thinkabbouddit,eh?

And, sad to say, the cost of diesel is killin' us small operators....We can't hardly do venues that don't somewhat cooincide, as it allows a venue or two to 'split the tab' on the fuel and other costs. Gone will be the days of us doing a lot of freebies thanx to the high diesel $....Also makes it hard to do a venue on an isolated date, so moving the date later in the summer would mean a higher cost to said vessels...

:blink:

Charts?....Did someone mention charts??....we are always in need of charts ( we ran short last year, and did the Gulf of St. Lawrence thru Quebec with a road atlas!)......

Sully, We'd enjoy a visit, it's been a while,eh?...All in all, 'tis a ways off, and first we must see if the ransom flies.....bloody pirates!

:rolleyes:

You want charts, just name 'em and send me an address. Or name 'em and I'll bring 'em to Hampton.

bbcddutchman wrote:

BTW- can you count me in on some charts too?

Sure thing. My pleasure. Always glad to share 'em when I can.

My Home on the Web

ok gang. just got off the tin can/string line with a committee member who was at the last meeting- may 30 to june 1 is it.

i'm helping with the encampment end this year. i have no idea what pete's doing on the entertainment end- have not talked to him since before the holidays.

we will loose a lot of the ships to harborfest if we do it the same weekend. review royaliste post.

havin royaliste, k.n., mekaII , serinity and the others are key to the fest. the crews are outstanding- sides how could we be the only festival that recreated the famous battle of ocracoke without the ships???? we'd look pretty silly swimming.

Whats with all the filtering of WHO CAN AND WHO CAN'T go to this event all 'assuden'.

Pirates are on the down fall, if you want it to last I'd be more appreciative of the help.

Besides everything I know about the black beard fest is that No-one involved has any right at all to be a historical nazi about anything. . . thats a fact.

Guess its another, "lets get together and see how much money we all can make" kinda sctick. . . .

Have Fun. . . . Hope ya do

for anyone interested in attending . . . it depends on what you would like to do, anyone can attend the event and all are welcome!!!. this ranges from shorts and POTC tee's to GAOP with anything goes in between. (including those renfaire bucket boots). Don't forget your finest for the grand ball friday night. there is lots to do and see, the entire downtown waterfront is shut down for the event.

now participating is a whole different ball of wax. The period crews do the battles and encampment. To maintain the integrity at our end of the event, controlled growth is needed. If anyone new is added, they are usually found in previous years attending. This is the case with a crew i'm helping now. One of their crew was remembered from a couple of years previous by one simple attire piece and a picture. Period is good, interacting with the crowd is king- remember, you never know who is watching you!!!!!

Flinter5,

I think you misunderstood. Please reread the attached quote. All are welcome to attend. However those "behind the rope" (or on display or part of the show) must meet a certain criteria.

Please bring friends!