Hampton Blackbeard Pirate Festival '08

Ah, Dutchie, 'twas bound to happen sooner or later ~ and, really, it was not as bad as it might seem, if a tad warm hurrying through the airport with baggage. I would not hesitate to do so again.

I would be remiss were I not to post a link for photos ~ I must also thank all the kind people who took photos with my camera when I was too busy to do so.

http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s247/gr...mview=slideshow

YHS,

Mary Diamond

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOwwwwwwwwww :P

shhhhhhh - hair of the dog what bit me - black roped bottle - anyone find me bottle? I always loose something -

but something I will ner loose is my memories of one of the best BBF's I have 'er been part of.

Thanks to all who came by for a visit and more especially -

thanks to all those what helped ol' cookie out this weekend. Even if it was to just grab a piece of wood for me fire.

I hope all enjoyed me work on the fire - never did see any mad dashes to the ER for medical help so I guess I didn't make anyone sick.

aaaaaaanyway - it was great to see past friends and meet so many new ones. Looking forward to our next meeting. Hope its not a year away.

thanks again to all,

Cookie

You can ner' have enough sand in yer stew.

looking at the crews site, we are coming up with a lot more found than lost than normal. if anyone has lost anything please go to www.blackbeardscrew.org and go to the tavern (our forums) if anything looks familiar, yell and i'll pull it out for you -or- if you have lost anything, post here and i'll add it in there. the site was sterile when we left monday morn- so someone has the missing stuff. just a matter of getting it home.

-dutch

I really need to post something here... but my brain is fried... started malfunctioning early Saturday afternoon and hasn't rebooted yet. I think the only thing that does not hurt is my hair... and I am so bloody tired I can't even speak correctly (ACK and I had to play kickball and baseball today...)

The zombie walking around Port Washington next weekend will be me and ye can all blame it on them!! **pointing at Pern and Dutch and the rest of Blackbeard's crew**

And it is so very, very true that I have NEVER worked so bloody hard at any event before BUT it was WORTH EVERY SECOND!! I can not thank Pern and Dutchie enough for giving the Archangel Crewe the opportunity to be a part of the Blackbeard Festival. It was not only a joy to work with such professionals, as well as true Living Historians, but a real honor. We not only had the chance to join in all the fun but we learned so much from all of you.

The chance to have a rowing lesson on the Explorer was just fantastic (eat yer heart out Rats and Maddogge). And the chance to ride in her and observe Dutch at his post, well... how does one explain what an amazing treat, as well as a valuable lesson, it is to watch someone that is so intent and skilled at his craft. So much so, that when the weather turned really bad Sunday night and the kids were helping bring the Explorer back to the marina, I knew that they were in very capable hands and they were brought back to me safe and sound.

Honestly, how does one thank a crew that goes over board from making you feel welcome to making sure that you have all that you could possibly need at an event? And who constantly go out of their way to check on you and yours through out the entire weekend? It doesn't get much better than this and I have been doing this for 35 years. In a word the Blackbeard event was brilliant. And Blackbeard's Crew is the best.

Thank you Cap'n Pern for inviting us in the first place and getting us involved. I understand how hard it can be to have to pick and chose folks to work with that you really haven't met before. We truly appreciate the opportunity you created for us and the trust you placed in us. We had a blast and we hope you are pleased with our efforts.

Thank you Dutchie for all your hard work both on your end of it and ours. You were constantly available for questions, even making the drive out here for a face to face. I don't think you ever walked away from us at the event without asking if we were okay or if we needed anything. If there was a need, it materialized promptly. And the chance to be on the Explorer with you... that is simply a dream come true.

Thanks to Mom, she runs a fine camp... OH and please tell her that hat that went missing was found!!!

Thanks to Cookie for the fantastic meals and allowing my cooks to play with him. When all the rest of us are out playing you all had the toughest job of all and the heat did not help you one little bit.

Thanks to Constable Heartless for all his assistance and support during the gun battles. Again, he is another fine example of a person that went out of his way not only to make us feel safe and comfortable but to freely share his experience and knowledge.

Thanks to Grace for all her help and support and for keeping Cheeky on her toes and saying I was one of the hottest pirates at the event. :P

Thanks to Pete, again, you were always looking after us and making the tasks at hand that much more enjoyable... oh and btw ye looked lovely in that dress at the ball!

Thanks to Spike, Jai, Nigel and Deadeye... Bone Island Buccaneers. You came, you saw, you worked hard and as always it was a pleasure to spend time with you all, you always bring a smile and tons of laughs... although Jai... damnation woman shop faster!! :P

And of course thanks to all the "Angels" who came out to work their arses off this weekend, Cheeky, Jack, Dudley, Gigi, Mr. Normal, Lily Alexander, Mr. O'Keeffe, Silkie, Mad Mary, Michael Souris and Kate Souris, Leah, and the Merriweather boys. I cannot tell you how proud you all make me.

Right then... here's to next year and all the other events that fall in between. To bigger and better festivals and to growing both old friendships and new.

And Oi Maddogge... just picture this... "This is Capt. Sterling"

"This is the Blackbeard Festival"

"This is Capt. Sterling at the Blackbeard Festival having the time of his life."

Next year Mr. de Dogge, Rats and Gunner as well as the rest of ye lazy lot..and you won't be sorry. Well okay, you'll be sorry you missed it this year... but remember we all missed you as well.

Right then... slipping back into my coma now...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

i was just amazed it even happened!!

Makes three of us, but then my mouth is always getting folks into trouble. I'm always shooting it off...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Right then Mary, I am looking at yer pictures back at camp after the ball... now here is the scary bit, not that I am not in them but I cannot for the life of me even remember Friday night after the ball... Horrors!! Where the hell was I?

Crewe of the Archangel

Here we go... right then, died and went straight to Heaven...

Explorertossyeroars.jpg

What is not to love?

Crewe of the Archangel

The Captain mighta hauled out of bed to help some aimless and lost pirates that pulled into port about 2 am....ahem. Stupid GPS....couldn't even find the pirate festival....

Hmmm sounds about right... I remember waking up but not falling asleep... all Cap'n Pern's fault...

Crewe of the Archangel

The zombie walking around Port Washington next weekend will be me and ye can all blame it on them!! **pointing at Pern and Dutch and the rest of Blackbeard's crew**

:P

After Port Wash... ye'll become an UNDEAD pirate! :P

Very wicked picture there of the boat shot. I'm droolin' and whimperin'! Lucky ye!!

LOVE th' piccies... well, what pictures I did get t' view thus far. :) Awww... looks like ye all had SOOO much fun!

I won't ask a thing about that one image of the lot of ye against the wall of a building with your backs to the camera. :P

Great pics. Glad ye had a great time! Loving these stories! Keep 'em coming!

~Lady B

:P

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Now wait just a bloody minute! Wot did I have to do with lost pirate hunters? I refuse to take the blame on that one. I think...

Aye but the buck/shilling stops with you, does it not? :rolleyes:

Crewe of the Archangel

2547685367_9031fbc785.jpg

WOW!! SEE! Look!! Look!... I DO work ONCE in a while!!!

Crewe of the Archangel

For those of you who have never traveled in garb, I would highly recommend you try it at least once. I did so this weekend ~

Well aware of weight and baggage restrictions, I packed only the necessities ~ the Queen Ann’s and their care, smallsword, ballgown and shoes, camping gear, toiletries, sewing kit, jewel box and coin, and a few other key items. All of which put me within .5 lb of the $100 over-weight surcharge, and with no room to pack my riding habit or a change of clothes.

Flying through O’Hare, Washington DC/Dulles and Norfolk airports in full garb may not immediately sound very promising, but, I must say, it does have its benefits. The fact that you are packing 2 flintlocks and a sword is almost secondary. And the comments (and stories!) you receive range from the common to the most complimentary and amusing.

Most frequently heard question: “So, are you from Williamsburg?”

From a lady 2 rows ahead of myself, as we waited to deplane: “So, you like to fit in when you travel?”

And, from a businessman at O’Hare: “I love your attire.” (thank you) “Do you always dress like that?” (no) “You should.” (happy smile)

One lady who approached me shared this story: Her husband owns a shipyard in Ocracoke, and a friend of theirs plays Blackbeard. A group of schoolchildren was being given a tour of a trawler when Blackbeard (in civvies) stops by to visit. The husband quickly inquires if his garb is in his car (it is), so Blackbeard is quickly dressed and hidden in the trawler. As the trawler leaves dock with the children for a cruise, they are told all manner of stories (some true, some, well, not so much…), getting them truly lathered up. By now, the trawler is well away from land ~ and Blackbeard bursts from the hold below! firing his pistols and waving his sword, roaring and raising a great commotion. The children, she said, were quite scared and rather thrown off by it all. The best part of it ~ they were High School age.

And, while my muff was not of much use in the heat of the day, it served as an excellent pillow at night, rum-runner for Blackbeard’s ball, and soothing companion/impromptu infant bed for an exhausted baby on the interminable flight home.

I would like to offer my most sincere Thanks to the wonderful crewe and organizers of Blackbeard’s ~ Captain Pern, your compliments remain a constant cheer to me. Dutchie, thank you for your training and concern for our welfare ~ I would be honored to be at the oar for you again. To Cookie ~ thank you for the victuals, which were most pleasing to the palate (those who know me know I am a distressingly picky eater).

My dear Bone Island Bucanneers ~ you are too far away. Please do what you can to install a wormhole from my door to yours. Until then, my fondest regards ~

And to my excellent Archangel crewe and associates ~ you are family, friends, and missed. I look forward to the next event with you… Oh, look! It is only 3 days away! HUZZAH!

YHS,

Mary Diamond

Mary that rocks. We always fly with our hats on so they dont get crushed and we get tons of questions. I think I may have to try full garb on the way to Tampa. Wish you had some pictures or even a youtue video of that.

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

Actually, I didn't leave the shoes because I never owned any shoes like the woman at the hotel described to me, so that was just odd. I told her to send me the phone, but not the shoes. Come to think of it, I should have asked her what size they were first. Oh well. Definitely an action-packed weekend.

They were likely mine. I left them, slops, a shirt, a pair of stockings, under clothes and a pair of rubber soled black suede shoes there. They were suppose to ship them to me. Perhaps I should call them to be sure they have been shipped. Anyone have the number?

Now wait just a bloody minute!  Wot did I have to do with lost pirate hunters?  I refuse to take the blame on that one.  I think...

Aye but the buck/shilling stops with you, does it not? :rolleyes:

Aye sir the Shilling does stop with me! BTW why should I want Pirate Hunters to find me and me crew? So the next time our paths cross Captain Sterling, I assure you I will provide something for which you can blame me! ;-)

They were likely mine. I left them, slops, a shirt, a pair of stockings, under clothes and a pair of rubber soled black suede shoes there. They were suppose to ship them to me. Perhaps I should call them to be sure they have been shipped. Anyone have the number?

Nope, the ones they had were supposedly in my room and they were blue and white.

However, the number is: 1-757-838-0200. Have your credit card ready; you have to pay the freight.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Hey, this is kinda' cool - I was searching for a site for the Vigilant (trying to find an email addy for Susan the Apothecary whom Dutch tells me is with the Vigilant crew) and I found their pics from the event:

http://vigilantcrew.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=441

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

First off, I'd like to extend our thanks to our hosts of Blackbeard's Crew; Ladies and Gentlemen you have always made me feel exceedingly welcome at your event, and this year was no exception. The assistance of Dutch and Pern and Grace was outstanding. Any minor difficulties were handled with speed and efficiency and our hats are off to you.

We got the opportunity to meet so many of the pubbers at the event and we were honoured to be able to assist any and all we could with their needs during the event. And imagine our shock when while visiting Williamsburg on Thursday we had folks walk up to us and say "Aren't you Callenish and Salty from the Pyracy Pub?" ...most everyone stopped by the Armoury over the course of the weekend(one of the minor drawbacks of doing an event like this as a sutler you don't get to mingle as much as you'd like ;););) ) The heat was also taking it's toll on both of us...Sorry a pastey-faced white man from the north of Scotland was never intended to see that much sunlight at one chunk... ;) and Salty had her own issues with the heat ;) ...but that will appear in another post!

Now wait just a bloody minute!  Wot did I have to do with lost pirate hunters?  I refuse to take the blame on that one.  I think...

Aye but the buck/shilling stops with you, does it not? ;)

Aye sir the Shilling does stop with me! BTW why should I want Pirate Hunters to find me and me crew? So the next time our paths cross Captain Sterling, I assure you I will provide something for which you can blame me! ;-)

I would think, Sir, that ye would not want us to find ye and yers, but nevertheless, we shall, Sir. We shall. And even if ye cannot come up with something with which I can place the blame upon ye and yours, Cap'n Pern, I am most certain that I will come up with something myself, whether tis true or not, but then that is what being a pirate hunter is all about.

Crewe of the Archangel