The Making Of A Sword

Captain Midnight

Looks great....

request?

Could you take a picture of yourself all decked out, with the sword on?

Also

I am curious about the scabbard, as in... how the hell do you make one?

Lastly

if you are not a member yet (its free) you should join the muzzle loading forum http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/ Its mostly gun stuff, but there are sections on "how to make stuf", gun building, and places to show off your handiwork, and there are a lot of folks who would like to see and be inspired by your work!

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Looks great....

request?

Could you take a picture of yourself all decked out, with the sword on?

Also

I am curious about the scabbard, as in... how the hell do you make one?

Lastly

if you are not a member yet (its free) you should join the muzzle loading forum http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/ Its mostly gun stuff, but there are sections on "how to make stuf", gun building, and places to show off your handiwork, and there are a lot of folks who would like to see and be inspired by your work!

GoF

Thank you all for the nice comments!

Greg, yes, I will be posting a photo soon of me with my pirate clothing and equipment on. To answer your question concerning the construction of the scabbard, it is hard to explain exactly how I did it. It took me about a day and a half to make the scabbard. It consists of a birch core covered with thin leather which I hand-stitched up the back center. The throat and chape are made of slightly thicker leather. The actual tooling of the designs into the leather is what took the longest amount of time. A plain scabbard could be made in possibly 10 or 12 hours or so.

I will have to check out the muzzleloading site you mentioned, it sounds pretty cool! :lol:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

My next weapon project, (which may be temporarily postponed when I go overseas) will be this: Spanish Espada Anchas

The Spanish Espada Anchas, means "wide sword" when translated. It was a weapon used by Spanish soldiers and civilians in the New World. It was typically short and fairly easy to produce. I will probably arm my crew with these swords due to their simple yet sturdy and efficient construction. According to this web site, Espadas Anchas, they were usually worn slung over the right shoulder, or from a saddle for mounted troops. My crew will have captured them from some hapless Spanish trader headed for America... ;)

Stay tuned, and I'll have pics of it up right here when it is built... :o18THCENTURYSPANISHCOLONIALBACKSWORD.jpg

SpanishBacksword18thCentury.jpg

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

Fine weapon indeed mate. First class craftsman.

Colors of the Sea Nymph

PirateFlagAxesig.jpg

"Let's drink a Damn to the Halter, lads, and them that lives to wear it"--Bartholomew Roberts

"You are a devilish conscience rascal, I am a free prince, and I have as much authority to make war on the whole world, as he who has a hundred sail of ships at sea, and an army of 100,000 men in the field; and this my conscience tells me: but there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure."--Sam Bellamy

That is a beautiful weapon Capt. Midnight. Plus you get the satisfaction of wielding one mady by your own hand.

I like the plainer ODF hangars myself. Not a big fan of the scallop shell. I also like to later civil war ceremonial pieces. Not so functional but a beautiful to look at. Kudos for a remarkable job!

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...