Roll Call 2008

William Brand

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mercury needs a carpenter, doesn't it? Someone the surgeon can borrow saws from...(Iron John?)

Aye and help with amputations... great thought Mission...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Oi CBIL ye better get yer tail feathers down there next year if ye want to be keepin peace in the family... we can certainly work smugglers into the scenario.

Peace in the Family?! Is there such a thing?! ;) Plans are chalked in for 2008 attendance. But, the managing of such a "Medicine Show" might be tricky to negotiate in regards to getting everything to Bone Isle. Plans are in the works, I assure....If worse comes to worse, our bodies should be there, at the very least....

Oi there ye have it William... please list the inlaws... Owlers... at least two to start...here's to more by next Dec. :lol::o;)

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Cool!  Gonna "saw" off an extremity or two next year Dr Misson?

Probably not...although Capt Sterling seems to have some grand plans for me...no, I just might want to borrow a BIG saw for a new procedure.

Trepannation is for wimps.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Count us in! At least to 1 fer and 1 fer me wife. Update to come later.

No way, mate. If you don't bring yor parents, you can't come.

Oh, I didn't really mean that. It's just that it will be you that will be chained to a tree all day.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I'll be there... are we SURE we can't have it in January? February? Bi-monthly? PiP is good for the soul. :blink:

Brig and I hope to have our candle-making operation up and running by then, if not in time for Blackbeard's.

PiP '08 or bust!

MaeBar-1.png

The world stands out on either side

No wider than the heart is wide.

~E. Millay

Count us in! At least to 1 fer and 1 fer me wife. Update to come later.

No way, mate. If you don't bring yor parents, you can't come.

Oh, I didn't really mean that. It's just that it will be you that will be chained to a tree all day.

Oh you don't be wanting to chain Jack to William's tree... he does know how to cook as well... :huh:

Crewe of the Archangel

Ahem... would ye be wanting to do one of these next year? I have a good idea of how to make one work... other than the real deal...although we could loan you William for that...we'll just use a shorter chain when we chain him to his tree...

Crewe of the Archangel

Ahem... would ye be wanting to do one of these next year? I have a good idea of how to make one work... other than the real deal...although we could loan you William for that...we'll just use a shorter chain when we chain him to his tree...

Hmm. I don't actually have a trepanner at this point. It would be a challenge, though...I'd like to practice some of this stuff before actually pretending I know what I'm doing.

I suppose you'd mock it up using the technique Romero used to shoot that scene of the Zombie getting the top of his head chopped off by the helicopter blade in Dawn of the Dead. You'd need someone with a low forehead and the ability to give an appropriately glazed look (like in Master and Commander) to make it work. (And make-up....lots of skill blending with make-up.) Be nice if they were bald as well...

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

I was reading an old copy of No Quarter Given, and stumbled upon a listing for Pirates in Paradise from 1998. I believe this to have been the first year for the festival, can anyone confirm? We may be looking at a 10 year anniversary party...to go along with the birthday bash...seems like more rum may be in order... :huh:

Ah the hell with doing any living history... we'll just party all week... :huh::huh::huh:

Crewe of the Archangel

I don't know when it started. I actually think of this as the first year, since in many ways, we all helped to put it back on the map. The unified effort to restore the festival certainly made it a banner year, but I'd love to know the history from the beginning.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

The year might be one of the few reliable things about that page. Admission...0.00 is misleading unless you are a re-enactor. Number of booths 100? Stages...ten?

The numbers seem a little random. I would say...one huge stage spread across the whole park.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Ah the hell with doing any living history... we'll just party all week...

Of what the fu..........................ergh........ heck.....

Why not do both..........

(hey............................ we already do that......................)

Aaaargh... Pyrates..... ;)

(an' some of those icky scummy Pyrate hunters................)

Cascabel would have the best take on the history of PiP. I've been working with the festival since 2002. The original festival was split between Marathon and Key West, the first weekend in Marathon, the second in KW.

The early years in KW were over at the historic seaport and spread out around the island. I must say I miss the fun at places like Atlantic Shores and Banana Bay which had great parties and events to attend. That said, the fort location is becoming the "be all-do all" concept.

If it weren't for the unwavering dedication of Julie McEnroe, Finbar and the WOLF, the festival would have crashed and burned some time ago. She spent literally thousands of dollars of her own money to make it work each year, though I'm not sure a lot of people even know about that. Plus the likes of Cascabel and other performers who just wouldn't give up on it.

But I'll let Cascabel (The Reverend) shed light on all that.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Aye...

I've been doing PiP since '98. I believe that was the second year of it, but I'm not 100 percent certain. It did indeed begin on Marathon, and continue in Key West.

I remember in '99, it didn't happen at all, and Julie revived it in 2000, and has been a driving force ever since. There is a tremendous amount of money and effort expended year after year that very few are aware of to keep it going. I used to enjoy the various venues around town that hosted parts of it, but it does not seem to get the support that it once did from the various businesses. Hopefully, that will change for the better after this year's success. I have always supported Julie and Capt. Finbar's efforts to make it a fun event for all. Unfortunately, I was not able to spend a whole lot of time this year at the fort, as I was needed elsewhere.

I tried to spend as much time as I could meeting all the new-comers, and making them feel welcome, so if there is someone I didn't speak to, I apologize to ye, and hope to see you next year. I never even got to hang out with me good shipmate Patrick Hand, who is one of my favorite people.

>>>> Cascabel

I never even got to hang out with me good shipmate Patrick Hand, who is one of my favorite people.

Dang... that is so nice......

And I was lookin fer you to borrow yer tool kit to fix me blunderbuss..... rats.... only got to talk to you that one short bit of time...... Hey.... maybe next year....

Kinda funny..... 4 days there..... and I missed sooooo many people..... well saw them, but just didn't get to talk to them enough......

That's because you were sleeping too much! :P:huh:

Crewe of the Archangel

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

You can count us in, be Capt. Cutter & Jaded Jetty. Thanks to Cannibel Crispy & Rusty Nell we found out about PIP and can't wait till 2008 to see all again. It was one of the best times of our lives and we came home with so many wonderful memories and new friends. Kudos to all of you.

:ph34r::ph34r:;);) Hopefully we can see some of you Pirates again before PIP 2008.

Well, unsure about 1990, but have confirmed that the festival was in Marathon from 1994-1998. The 1998 season, the first weekend was in Marathon, and the second weekend was in Key West. 1999 was no festival, but true enough, Julie and Captain Finbar and folks revived it in Key West. I am going to call Julie this week and see what date they use, and if there is any kind of "extra" special year for 2008, I for one would like to make sure that we honor the fact that Julie and Captain Finbar have done so much for us. They brought the festival back with the help of a few diehard pirates like Cascabel, Bawdy Be and Braze (probably others that I don't know of yet). This last year we all as a group of PiP 2007 made it come ALIVE! :ph34r: But without their faith in it long ago, we would not have had a gathering of the bretheren at all. PiP 2008 will be the best one ever, with all of you on board, how could it not be! :ph34r:

I wonder if Silver Hook would know when it was in Marathon; he lives there. I have his card somewhere, maybe I'll shoot him an email.