Captain Kidd's Ship found

Matusalem

Dang, that's awesome! So now we have three finds: the Whydah, the Queen Anne's Revenge(tentatively), and now the Quedagh Merchant . Sure would be neat if any of them could be raised, or at least parts of them, kind of like the Mary Rose in England. :huh:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

Not to mention the Speaker (Bowen), Fiery Dragon (Condent), and didn't Clifford's team tentatively identify the remains of Kidd's Adventure Galley some years back?

Now, if we're talking about GAoP era ships deserving of being raised I'd stick a vote in for HMS Stirling Castle (sank 1703) which lies almost entirely intact below deck level beneath the Goodwin Sands. Just think of all the juicy goodies that it probably contains!

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

And, though not GAoP, there's also the Ning-Po at the bottom of San Fransisco harbor. At least she's supposedly a Chinese Pirate vessel. Also, I'm wondering how they identified the Quedagh Merchant. Would there have been a bell or some other form of identification besides having cannons? If so, has any solid evidence been found?

Coastie :angry:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

I would think since these are grads and undergrads as well as pro archs and professors, etc... they have the ins and out of information and research at their fingertips to find out what vessel they discovered. Eventhough if a bell or some other form of visable ID was found, they'd confirm it with documents, testing, etc.

I copied down on Word the article. It's pretty cool what vessels have been found thus far.

~Lady B

:lol:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

You know, um....the laws are kind of lax in the DR.

The reports say gold & silver, and some cannon (er...gun) .....therefore who's to stop anybody anchoring in a 35 ft Bayliner, and some scuba gear and filching through the spot? in fact , 10 ft of water one would only need snorkel gear

B) ............................................................................ ;)

SHIP2-1.jpg

The reports say gold & silver, and some cannon (er...gun) .....therefore who's to stop anybody anchoring in a 35 ft Bayliner, and some scuba gear and filching through the spot? in fact , 10 ft of water one would only need snorkel gear

The report I heard on the radio (an interview with one of the IU staff overseeing the project) stated that there was no treasure, only artifacts. And, a 35ft bayliner would have a mighty hard time raising a cannon imbedded in the sand. However, I can't wait to see what they do end up finding!

Coastie :D

I think just the fact that the ship and its contents alone are associated with William Kidd makes the wreck a fabulous treasure in itself, despite the fact that it was historically looted and burned before being abandoned. Just to have Captain Kidd's naval cannon, or a plate he might have eaten from or held in his hands displayed properly in a museum is a fabulous thing!

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

Why is a burned wreck associated with Kidd more significant than a wreck associated with anyone else from the period? Parrot bones? What is the archaeology of pirates as opposed to any other ship?

I'll take at least a stab at this one. Since we know a good deal about Kidd, it puts the artifacts in better context, thus allowing us to understand them, and the history, better. Additionally, if they are found to actually be from a pirate (or privateer, depending on which side of that line you're on), it will be one of just a few pirate ships found, thus allowing us to identify whether there are any differences between it and any other ship. Even if there are no differences found (from supplies, number of arms, etc), that brings us closer to understanding pirates in that era.

Coastie :lol:

Not more significant, but any find like this is important to the study of history. Sometimes the archeologists get to 'em before the treasure hunters, and sometimes they don't. There is an intreset in this for some, not so for others. Simple as that.

Bo

• 1 year later...

With it they found a pewter tankard. So we now have a true period piece to compare our kits to.

it's a straight sided pewter mug, with very little else of note about it.

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

• 3 years later...

Another point (even though it sounds really negative.....)

Pyrates are "in"..... so getting funding for a "Real Pyrate" ship would have more public apeal than a more interesting ship from the period.....

Thats a very good point. Most people have this greedy bit o' quality of following the money wher'er it takes em. Pirates just be honest about it.

I find it fascinating that so many pirate ships have been found.

It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... is freedom. - Captain Jack Sparrow

www.siemensbottlingco.blogspot.com

• 4 months later...

Yes, I think he tentatively has identified the wreck site of the Adventure Galley due to a ballast pile, some burnt wood and an oar lock. Plus, the fact that the area matches a spot on an old 1700s French map that identifies a careening area at the Ilot Madame in the Baie des Forbans of Ile Sainte Marie. I'm not sure of the exact location of the careening area on the Ilot Madame, but I have a good idea. I've been looking for a diagram or map of the careening area and Adventure Galley, Fiery Dragon, Mocha Frigate, and Ruparelle [renamed November] wreck sites in the bay, but have had no luck finding anything yet.

With all of the pirate ships that he has found in that bay, they could be excavating for years.

-Tar Bucket Bill

Edited by Tar Bucket Bill