2008 PiP Dates

hurricane

Here are the official dates for the Fort Taylor Pirate Festival.

Dec. 5 - 7, 2008

This next year, the Official End of Hurricane Party will be the weekend before, so the tentative dates of the larger Pirates in Paradise Festival (which the Fort Taylor event is part of) may extend to the weekend before, which would make it Nov. 30. For those with vacation time who want to really enjoy Key West and the keys in general, you may want to come in a bit early.

That also allows time for those who haven't been out to Fort Jefferson to go out there for a couple days. They have camping out there for $3 per person per night and will take reservations for groups.

Check it out:

http://www.nps.gov/drto/index.htm

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Also, for those who wish to keep track of such things, I placed a countdown script on my Pirate Fest page of my Fort Taylor.org web site. The page is nothing fancy--just a tease on what the event is all about. I've also posted a few pics, but am working on a slide show of the Fort Taylor events. Everyone will also be able to download the '08 participant forms when I get those done. Don't look for that or a more complete schedule until after the first of the year. Here's the link for anyone interested: Fort Taylor Pirate Fest.

Hairbonesig.jpg

-------

Fort Taylor Pyrate Fest MySpace Page

Master Hairbone's MySpace Page

-------

There is no more equitable judge than a cannon

The week would be nice... time to get settled in, the camp prepared and then a nap before we officially start.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Fort Jefferson is really neat. It's very isolated and quiet, even when there's a bunch of tourists running around there. The facility is quite rustic, though. You need to bring everything with you and should probably check on the rules regarding cooking and whatnot. When I made the trip a few years ago, one of the people stationed there was on the boat back, so I talked with him a bit. He said it's very peaceful during the evenings when most of the tourists are gone; they infrequently get no more than a few people staying on any given night because of the limited facilities.

It's a cool fort, though. It's a pentagon fort built to guard the mouth of the Mississippi. It's more complete than Fort Taylor and there are several spits of land (glorified sandbars, really) that you can walk on outside the fort.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

It is primitive camping, indeed. There are no open fires allowed (tough to get the fire department to respond out there :), but there are grills and picnic tables in the area. Our own group brought everything we needed into the Fort Taylor so we could self-suffice for four days. It wouldn't be that difficult there, especially when they have carts to shuttle stuff back and forth between the boat and the camp area.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

Also, for those who wish to keep track of such things, I placed a countdown script on my Pirate Fest page of my Fort Taylor.org web site.

Harry, that countdown timer is such a tease :unsure: Can't you 'adjust' it a little? I think PiP '08 in January sounds lovely! :unsure:

MaeBar-1.png

The world stands out on either side

No wider than the heart is wide.

~E. Millay

Well...you are one up on me as to space ...I have a patch of lawn about 20 feet square! :unsure::unsure:

As to thoughts ...I am a follower not a leader

...however...

...we do need to keep the costs down or I can't go to both.

...and the less humid the better ...I hates heat & humidity.

...location, location, location! ...you have an ocean out there in Indiana?

For those of you that can make Blackbeard's Festival, May30-June 1, 2008... I would recommend that... Now if you want a place just to camp and meet, work out the scenarios for next PiP, work on the special fxs, work on yer kit, learn some sword figthing, etc... I do have over two acres of land, not to mention a hundred acres surrounding of pretty much untouched land where we could sneak off for photographs..including a river, also there would be Michie Tavern for dinner one night and Monticello for some sight seeing or if you like a day trip to WIlliamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown.... I would offer up my place to ye lot... oh there is a pool also to cool off in....

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

We are planning to go to Gettysburg for the 145th in July of 08. Heat, humidity, and LOTS of wool clothing. What a time! :huh:

However, that offer from Captain Sterling could sway me very easily as I have always wanted to go to Monticello and Williamsburg. Hmmm... choices choices.

Bo

I tell you Williamsburg, what they refer to as the Corporate side is all for reenactors coming in kit... and the last time we were there, past October, the Foundation side was extremely welcoming.... so going in kit would certainly be a plus....

So if folks are truly interested... give me some ideas as to head count and approximate date... we open the pool in April, so the weather is already warming up by then....

Crewe of the Archangel

I would offer up the same here in Missouri on Truman Lake, but don't know how that works for everyone. LOTS of camping available, plenty to do and lots of water. Not the ocean but our sunsets are pretty damn fine too. The weather here could go any damn way you can think of at any time.

But I must say that East coast offering by Sterling has really got me thinking about abondoning Gettysburg plans right now. As long as it is after the spring semester ends I would be interested indeed!

Bo

Callenish, you are invading my wavelength again! :lol:

I was thinking about that very thing, taking a week and doing the whole tour of the historic disticts and playing pyrate. But isn't it illegal for a dumbass hillbilly like me to have that much fun? :lol:

Gettysburg is anticipating over 30,000 re-enactors this year, and I am not really that socialized! Besides, I damn near died from heat at Pilot Knob attacking the fort in all that wool and in ranks in the heat and humidity. Hey, they wanted authenticity! I went the extra mile and passed out from the heat right in front of the moat!

Bo

Hey...the dates are changed for the forum description! Thanks, Booty! B)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

They're closer at least than the original ones certainly. They are a little misleading since the actual festival is Dec. 5 - 7. Setup begins on the 3rd and break apart is the 8th. But for those with limited vacation time, I would recommend arriving on Wednesday, no later than Thursday and plan to leave on Monday.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

I should think that we could make some sort of room for a 100 foot gaff schooner. Oh, good lord! Can we land him a berth in the same basin that the Mohawk is moored in? Harry? Finbar? You guys command the army and the navy of the Conch Republic, surely you have some pull.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

One of the items we will be working on next month is seeking underwriters in order to bring in additional vessels. The city controls the Mohawk area. We'll research the costs for that spot as well as a couple of marinas that are close to us.

Hairbonesig.jpg

-------

Fort Taylor Pyrate Fest MySpace Page

Master Hairbone's MySpace Page

-------

There is no more equitable judge than a cannon