Special Effects at PIP

Lily Alexander

Well, Bucky's off to Key West to play with Harry and the Bone Island Buccaneers next week. I guess they're doing some kind of Halloween-Pirate thing. I never got a shot of the finished skeleton inside the gibbet, but I got lots of photos of the thing in development. So if you want to see that, check it out, see my web page:

http://www.markck.com/images/Piracy/Gibbet...ed%20Pirate.htm

He should be in Key West by Friday...lucky Bucky.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bucky shall have a mate! I'm going to put together a female skeleton in a gibbet for 2009. I already have a female skeleton that is perfect for the role and I found a new source for Gibbets.

http://www.brandsonsale.com/hg-004423.html (In case anyone else wants to get in on the fun of making one.)

Michael Bagley has agreed to provide me clothing for her. I think she will get my old shoes as I need a new pair anyhow. If anyone would like to donate a bonnet or something suitable for headgear, both Ms. Bucky and I would appreciate it...

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 1 month later...
Bucky shall have a mate! I'm going to put together a female skeleton in a gibbet for 2009. I already have a female skeleton that is perfect for the role and I found a new source for Gibbets.

http://www.brandsonsale.com/hg-004423.html (In case anyone else wants to get in on the fun of making one.)

Gibbet number two has been purchased. I do so hope in a thousand years some lunatic sociologist tries to reconstruct my life by leafing through my credit card receipts...

I have a slight complication with the female skeleton in that she has no hook on top of her head. (Insert gratuitous penis joke here.) See, the skeleton has to hang from a hook in the top of the gibbet. The things are so flimsy that they can't support the weight of the skeleton. Fortunately I have many welder friends. (I have to weld a metal rod to the rod that runs through her spine so it pokes out of the top of her skull and attach a hook or loop to it.) She's going to get the most violent of lobotomies... :lol:;)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Got the gibbet! It appears to be the same as the last one, it was double boxed, which is always nice and it was a little bit cheaper than the last one. $175 shipped.

Anybody else want to make one? Hmmm? Here's a Bucky skeleton you can get on eBay...according to the title it's a PIRATE SPECIAL! :angry:

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 4 months later...

And here's the page for the second gibbeted pirate I made for PiP: Becky's Page.

She'll be making her home at Fort Taylor in Key West starting at PiP 2009. Just now she's touring about with Michael and Kate Souris when they can fit the gibbet in their vehicle. She debuted at the Santa Maria event in Columbus in May 2009. Thanks to Michael & Kate for getting her clothing together and hauling her sorry carcass (literally!) around this year.

Now I've gone from a three skeleton household to a one skeleton household. I feel the pangs of empty nest syndrome settling in... :rolleyes: But I also have my props living in Key West. It's the closest thing to living their myself. (Ok, it's not really, but I still think it's cool. :rolleyes: )

Edited by Raphael Misson

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

I want to hang Becky off the back of the RV as I cross country.

That would be cool, except I don't think the gibbet would hold up very well.

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

• 2 months later...

Iron John was asking me if I was selling my last skeleton. I am not, but skeletons are not that hard to get and I explained to him how to do that, which I thought others might want to know as they make fine pirate props.

"If you want a fully articulated skeleton, you can buy Bucky skeletons on eBay for about $150 - $200 (especially now near Halloween). That prices is for a first or second quality skeleton. If you're going to gunk it up like I do with the gibbeted skeletons, you can pick up 4th quality skeletons there for about $75 - $100. (Fourth quality skeletons sometimes have bent limbs, warped or missing minor bones and 'flash' at the seams where the molds come together. They are definitely not display quality, but they are perfect for adding skin and stuff to.)"

To find them, try searching for "Bucky skeleton.' I have purchased several that way. Note: if a seller doesn't tell you what quality level skeleton you are buying, ask. If they are cagey, assume it is 4th quality. (This happened to me, and I had to wrangle with the guy to return some of my money after he told me it was first quality when it was fourth.)

Edited by Raphael Misson

• 1 year later...

Got the gibbet! It appears to be the same as the last one, it was double boxed, which is always nice and it was a little bit cheaper than the last one. $175 shipped.

Anybody else want to make one? Hmmm? Here's a Bucky skeleton you can get on eBay...according to the title it's a PIRATE SPECIAL! ;)

Israel Cross has been asking me about how to go about making a gibbeted pirate via pm and it occurred to me that some of the comments I made to him are worth repeating about that plastic gibbet, despite my previous exuberance for the thing. So...

If I were making a gibbet to be hauled around with the crew to more than a few events, I would NOT use that plastic gibbet I link to unless you're willing to disassemble and reassemble it every time you move it. The one used for Becky did not stand up well when moved around a lot - it proved to be quite brittle and required multiple repairs after appearing at two events.

I would seriously consider having someone with some spot welding skills make a thin metal version instead of wasting $100+ on that thing. They had one they had at Paynetown which you can see a bit of on the page here:

http://www.markck.com/pages/Piracy/Paynetown10/Paynetown_10_Ch4.htm

It would be a much better for hauling around to regular crew events IMO.

Mission_banner5.JPG