2008 Skirmish

Master Sully

Here's a few more ideas to throw out.

Spectator seating/ viewing area for both the fort and the Pirate camp. This way evryone is near the action.

We convince a schooner captain to anchor off the point with a longboat in tow. A small detatchment of soldiers are stationed outside the fort. The Union jack is lowered on the ship as the Jolly Roger is raised. The longboat approaches the beach with the pirate captain, as a cannon shot from the ship signals the other pirates to swarm from the camps. A few soldiers are killed or wounded as they retreat to the safety of the fort. Lot's of shots are exchanged, the schooner raises her anchor and exchanges volleys with a second schooner approaching. The pirates rush the gates, sword fights and close hand combat is hard fought. The pirates are repulsed and the victory shots are traded with the Naval schooner. And the next battle is one by the pirates and such as.

I wonder if we could do two battles a day, one at 12 and the other at 4?

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

Two battles would be a blast (pun intended). How about one where the pirates are repelled and a second one that's a sneak attack after they anchor farther down the beach and storm the gates?

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

The pirates rush the gates, sword fights and close hand combat is hard fought.

AYE! Swords ablaze, AYE. Close combat, AYE. The Bone Island Buccaneers are already discussing how to accomplish more sword fights & crewe vs crewe fights. Most definitely need more crossings of blades next year! :lol:

Ideas and plans are most welcome.

Scarlett Jai

-First Mate, Bone Island Buccaneers

Scarlett, perhaps in your planning, you can incorporate a swordfight for yourself and moi? Would love to explore that as a scenario ~

Most excellent! Would luv to. It would be me honor to trade blows with a pirate as fine as ye.

Scarlett Jai

-First Mate, Bone Island Buccaneers

We convince a schooner captain to anchor off the point with a longboat in tow. A small detatchment of soldiers are stationed outside the fort. The Union jack is lowered on the ship as the Jolly Roger is raised. The longboat approaches the beach with the pirate captain, as a cannon shot from the ship signals the other pirates to swarm from the camps. A few soldiers are killed or wounded as they retreat to the safety of the fort. Lot's of shots are exchanged, the schooner raises her anchor and exchanges volleys with a second schooner approaching. The pirates rush the gates, sword fights and close hand combat is hard fought. The pirates are repulsed and the victory shots are traded with the Naval schooner. And the next battle is one by the pirates and such as.

I wonder if we could do two battles a day, one at 12 and the other at 4?

Excellent idea on the anchoring of the schooner as it seems ships take far too long to circle and fire. The natural complication there is due to the channel. Also finding a long boat may be more difficult than one might think. But boy it would be good to be able to have 2 or 3 come around an anchored ship and actually land. An anchored ship opens a world of oppurtunities.

id.jpg

We have a year to locate a boat, or at least convert a modern one. There is one pulled up behind the fort. I heard it needs a little work to get her seaworthy. I wonder if another state park in Florida might have one? Fort King George in Darien, GA , 30 minutes from the Florida line , has a circa 1720 scout boat that might be used (crossing fingers). It would be awesome if we could get several boats/ ships to get involved.

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

Just think , "The Great Pirate Attack" PiP 2008... starring...

The infamous pirate, Captain Cascabel, leading the seaside attack.

Braze the brave, his first mate, leading the attack on the fort.

His first line, the deadly Bone Islanders, Spike, Scarlett Jai, and Nigel

General Harry, defending his fort with devastating artillery.

Governor Yellowbeard, nervously pacing about the ramparts.

His scribe, Willam Red Wake, attempting to calm his nerves with rum.

Captain Sterling, leader of the Royal Guard, clashing with the advancing pirates.

And many more talented actors/ actresses thrown into the mayhem.

iiiiii.jpg

The boat we have at the park won't require that much work to make her seaworthy. Basically, she needs a drain plug. There's also some cosmetic work that could be done and she's available for repainting. She needs oars, but has both oar locks. There's also the availability of a center board and a spot for a mast. I sent William some photos of it a while back. The Bone Island Buccaneers do have plans to make this vessel seaworthy for '08.

Hairbonesig.jpg

-------

Fort Taylor Pyrate Fest MySpace Page

Master Hairbone's MySpace Page

-------

There is no more equitable judge than a cannon

Huzzah, we got's ourselves a boat!

iiiiii.jpg

Captain Sterling, leader of the Royal Guard, clashing with the advancing pirates.

Nice scenario Studly but knowing Both William Brand and Captain Sterling as I do ...it is doubtful that either of the stated roles would suit either of them.

Nay Captain Sterling wears red only as a fashion statement. :D

Nor can see William RedWake loyal to any but his crew, and certainly not the British! Working for the governor would be the ONLY reason the man would be driven to drink! :D

:D

Mustn't forget the Viceroy and his guns . . .

Actually there are rough plans for more mortars

id.jpg

Nice scenario Studly but knowing Both William Brand and Captain Sterling as I do ...it is doubtful that either of the stated roles would suit either of them. 

Nay Captain Sterling wears red only as a fashion statement.  :D

Perhaps we could have an uneasy alliance between the various pirate camps? Cascabel could be the leader of the alliance... that would offer several opportunities for fighting between various groups as well. (Not gun battles, but staged internecine sword fights and brawls.)

Also, this may be unworkable for many reasons I don't comprehend, but has anyone considered moving the battles up to, say...11:30? Pre-battle meetings could be at 11. Promote the hell out of the "...exciting battles between the British and pirates!" in the literature. That's early enough to get people in the door sooner and allow the pub to open at noon and still late enough for hung over pirates to rise. Plus it would get people in front of the food tent at lunch time and get more revenue going there. Just a thought.

On top of that, the pub was the really turning point in my appreciation of the event. The battles were cool, the vendors were neat, the period stuff was awesome...but you find that stuff at other events. The pub rocked with the gloomy setting, candles and sea shanties - especially the sea shanties. Anyone who experienced that would HAVE to be giving good word-of-mouth to the event. Many KW tourists stay in guesthouses and little condo-like enclaves where they sit around the pool just before getting ready for dinner and talk to each other. Word-of-mouth will do far more to promote the event than a million dollars of print ads.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg