2008 Skirmish

Master Sully

I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on how we could improve on our battle. This year it seemed that this brought alot of people to watch the event. I hope we have an even larger crowd and more firing guns next year.

Some of my suggestions:

- More Royal Regiment and Militia

- The Wolf plays an active part during the fight, supporting fire

- More camps reaching out along the water's edge, to give us an area to advance from (not ducks in a row down the path)

- Hidden mortar charges to simulate cannon hits, possibly in the moat as well

- More muskets to complement the pistols

- We close in more to the fort, the moat's edge, so that the crowd's get a better view

- A gate of some sort to break through into the fort. This could also help the ticketers at the entrance.

- A script to work from

I really enjoyed participating in this years fight, as I am sure everyone involved did as well!

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

Those are great ideas!

I was going to ask Harry if we can have an actual cannonball demo - fire one off into the harbor to see what one would do... :huh:

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I cannot tell you how much I would love to fire a ball from the cannon! The problem is the state (of course) does not allow us to fire projectiles whilst on state property.

We are working on a plan to have so-called "trailing charges" planted to simulate a "hit" by cannon and/or blunderbuss and long rifle.

The gate idea has merit. I will bring that up to the build team.

Having more Royal Marines continues to be a problem. We would be guaranteed at least a company (if not more) of Royal Marines if they didn't hold a mandatory muster in St. Augustine the same weekend as our event. There have been pleas to change the dates of our event so the Royal Marines could participate. I shy away from that since our dates have been established now for a couple of years. We will continue our efforts to recruit more redcoats.

Utilizing a script for the battles/skirmishes is not a favorite thing of mine. That comes from my experiences at Civil War events where each group must follow the history of a particular battle/skirmish. To me, that's boring--fire a few rounds, run out of ammo, then fall down dead or be captured. For me, there's no fun in that. In our just-concluded event, we did utilize a script of sorts for the attack and capture of the fort, but it was very generalized. The aim here is to keep as much action inside the fort as possible (since that's where the spectators are!). Since this was the first time we've done that, I can see where some fine tuning needs to happen. But, overall, I think that concept went well. At least from the comments I heard from visitors, reenactors, vendors and others.

Getting more ships involved is yet another challenge. Our battles involving the ships have to be keyed to their sailing schedules and if the weather doesn't cooperate or something unknown happens with the ships, we have to move to plan B. Having said all that, we are wanting to expand the ship battles and if what we are working on this early indeed comes to light, me thinks you will be most happy and impressed.

Hairbonesig.jpg

-------

Fort Taylor Pyrate Fest MySpace Page

Master Hairbone's MySpace Page

-------

There is no more equitable judge than a cannon

I have been thinking... This may be a discussion better suited to Twill (or maybe even just it's own thread here), but I think if there was more easily accessible information about what a marines uniform would look like at the time, perhaps some people (maybe even me) might make a red coat outfit...

I have a pirate getup, I would happily make a red coat outfit and happily alternate side and outfits. No offence to the red coats present (their outfits are great looking), but they look a bit later in period than what was being aimed for. The best I have seen for information on Red Coat outfits for the correct (not that I have really looked very hard) is the Osprey books, and well while Osprey books are usually decent, I don't tend to trust them as sole references...

Anyway, just thought I would through that thought out there....

Michael_banner.jpg

I liked the scenario this year of bringing the battle into the fort. The cannon being fired was great. I think we can add some stuff in front of it to make it more hidden looking and serve as a place for some of us to hide behind before it's fired for cover.

The crowd seemed to really like that part of the show. We certainly had a crowd for it.

If we could ever get enough pirates who can shoot we could almost do the same thing with the siege of the fort. One half of the pirates could be firing at us from the water side and a second set could surprise us from behind after knocking down the "gate". Then we would be fighting both sides which would be fun.

As far as scripting, I think it worked well this year. People were randomly assigned to fall in the fighting which added to the show. I think the addition of a field hospital under the tent next year that leads into a demonstration of surgery would keep things moving along after the firing subsides.

PS: I knew you'd love the cannonball idea, Harry! It would be a grand thing to see! :)

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

I like the idea of a senerio.... basicaly "What we are doing"..... but not exactly a "script"......(When and what to say....) kinda thing....

Fridays battle ended kinda wierd..... we just walked off the field....

But on Saturday, the diversionary tactic having some of us fire on the Fort, and then the rest storm the Fort was cool )and it sounded good from the outside...)

Sundays "suprise " ending also worked.........

Fridays battle ended kinda wierd..... we just walked off the field....

I agree. We should have either celebrated our victory, retreated back to the beach, or have come up with something funny to do.

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

As part of the Archangel Crew's never ending wish-list we had hopes of procuring some simple red coats for just such a reason...

Be it the need for more redcoats to fight or simply for the "wolf in sheep's clothing" angle in a scenario....

Need more Reds!!!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

We were slightly red....

DSCF0964.jpg

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

hey...willing for a shilling....

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

As part of the Archangel Crew's never ending wish-list we had hopes of procuring some simple red coats for just such a reason...

Be it the need for more redcoats to fight or simply for the "wolf in sheep's clothing" angle in a scenario....

Need more Reds!!!

Well,

A quick look through my copy of Osprey's "Colonial American Troops 1610–1774 (1)" got me thinking...

I think if somone could make a decision for the colours then everything could be great...

Red Coats obviously wear red coats (Justacorps I would guess)... But throughout the history of the Red Coats, it was almost always a red coat with a different colout facing. Based on the Osprey book (not the best source) the Independant Companies during the Queen Anne's War time frame wore: Red coats with blue cuffs, the breeches were red as well, and the waistcoats were said "to be made from old coats" (red I would imagine). Th citation in the osprey book went on to say that there was little uniformity, and often various shades of red were used, some red wools being barely recognizable as red.

The picture on this page, on the Military Heritage website...Battle of Blenheim

Seems to support the red coat with blue facings.

So if we get people who want to do red coats making red justacorps (or frock plain coats) with blue cuffs, red long waistcoats and red breeches... I think that would be a decent Red Coat uniform.

If an agreement can be made on this, I will get working on it over the holidays... Of course we do have the option of using other colours. I believe (going from memory so i have no sources here) that one of the main Red Coat companies stationed in the Carribean at the time had yellow facings instead of blue, so that could be an option, or another colour could be chosen just out of preference...

Archangels (Sterling, Rats, et. al.), if your serious about the red coat thing, please let me know... Since I am kind of stranded in Ohio with no one local to really play with, it would probably serve me best to follow suit with what you guys (and gals) are doing so I can link up with your unit when I can make it out...

Michael_banner.jpg

Actually our red coats will be based on marine uniforms of the times, which I think there is a fine article posted over at the PB site. As Maddogge has landed himself some new recruits, dressed in red, they can play either side of the fence, whether pyrate hunter or soldier. As soon as I nail the look of the coat down I promise to let you know what we are putting together...

Crewe of the Archangel

Honestly that would be one confusing but very funny scenario... :huh::huh:

Crewe of the Archangel

... As Maddogge has landed himself some new recruits, dressed in red, they can play either side of the fence...

Well, that would explain the dress, then, wouldn't it?

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Ah yes, the dress! Smashing! Simply smashing!

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

militiaRats.jpg

This is.... well it's basically me! But the jacket is supposed to be more red, and this is weathered?? I don't remember where I got the pic from...But I think even if folks were to concentrate on a set of buff or white colored belt, sling and box... Or just agree on the Black... Then make sure they have long coats, no slops and a long arm, they will at least look like ill-equiped civilian militia...???

Now I know they are a bit expensive... however William Booth Draper http://www.wmboothdraper.com/index.html has multiple options for excellent red wool and which ever cuff option we want. even if we were to start with a simple justcorps with an option for changeable cuffs when it is decided????

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

Well if you wish to portray militia, any type of civilian or hunting gear would be fine... why look uniform at all then?

Crewe of the Archangel

That wouldn't be unusual, I would think, particularly in the early 1700s. I know in Port Royal there were very few British regulars, and it was a British holding as well. The entire army there consisted of local militia 1500 strong. There was no standing army there.

-- Hurrciane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny